Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Contact time

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by ZXZ, Jun 8, 2002.

1. ZXZ

ZXZ Regular Member

Student
    Is there like a rule in badminton which says how long the shuttle can be in contact with the racquet for? I was just thinking cause you could just catch shuttle on racquet and put it over the net...

2. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

I feel that the shuttle has to be hit with one swoop (this includes the rim). I feel if the shuttle become attached to the strings in the contect you can 'throw' the racquet over the net to win the point is not allowd. I think the rule is in them certain cirumstances it is to be a let and the point is played again. But one question, why play with a shuttle this is in such a bad condition that it gets caught to the stings anyway? :) Shuttles are changed very reguarly and therefore there is a slim chance of this happening.

Matt

3. ZXZ

ZXZ Regular Member

Student
    I meant catch as in when some1 brings the racquet down with the shuttle and the shuttle ends up resting on the racquet cheating I know but it is kinda still one movement :D

Attached Files:

4. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

independently unwealthy, part-time tennis instruct
    held shuttle

i don't know of any time restriction for a held shuttle, but the situation is covered by Law 13.6.1 which states:

It is a 'fault'... if, in play, the shuttle... is caught and held on the racket and then slung during the execution of a stroke

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    however, the final say is still with the umpire.
    most slunged shots are not cut and dry.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    When looking at this rule, the rule does not say 'caught OR slung'. It says 'caught AND slung'

Therefore a shuttle which slides across the racquet during a stroke(which some regard as a sling shot) would be quite legal. Many people might regard this as a fault but I don't think so.

The rule seems to be there to stop people catching the shuttle with a racquet, walking up to the net, and then slinging the shuttle to the ground on the opponent's side.

7. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

independently unwealthy, part-time tennis instruct
    i'd agree with you Cheung. a shuttle that slides across the racket face shouldn't be considered illegal unless it experiences a directional change that is due to a discontinuity of the racket motion. i'm using 'discontinuity' in the mathematical sense (as in a discontinuous function).

when a shuttle (or ball in tennis), slides across the strings & then hits the frame, it is perceived as a double-hit. i believe that THIS type of double is a legal hit in both sports.

8. Kevin

Kevin Regular Member

webmaster
    evil idea's :p

it's just a feeling, what you are allowed to and not
    i had 1 time in a sort of cross drop the shuttle stay on my racket and after a time fly further (just 0,8sec or something) and that can, but don't take the shuttle on your racket run to the net and drop it :p

9. GoD

GoD Regular Member

Student
    I have had experiences of this too. Has anyone got an idea what the rules say about scooping the shuttle from the ground? Often I play shots where my racket hits the ground cos I am forced to take it so late. But is it ok to play the shuttle if it did not touch the ground but your racket does whilst playing the shot? I hope you understand what I mean its hard to explain.

10. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

Yup, this stroke or shot is fine. Aslong as the shuttle doesn't touch the grund, then if your playing a defensive shot adn the racket hits the ground, this is perfectly legal.

Matt