Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Danish Championships 2017 (Spectacular rally)

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by FeatherBlaster, Feb 2, 2017.

1. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Check this link to see the most spectacular rally from the Danish Championships today:

http://sport.tv2.dk/badminton/2017-...e-tid-ved-dm-jeg-har-svaert-ved-at-lade-vaere

There might be an add first - it's worth the wait.

Vittinghus has a reputation for always giving 100%, throwing himself all over the court when things go crazy. In this match, he is playing Christian Lind. Christian has always played "all out" in these matches, sometimes beating players he shouldn't be able to beat. Here he simply will not loose the point. I've never seen anything like it.

Remember, this is not a show match, it's 20-20 2nd set in the quarterfinal of the Danish Championships!

Enjoy :)

Cheers,
    FB

Cheung, swunk, Justin L and 1 other person like this.
  2. FeatherBlaster

BTW: The text in the article says that Christian Lind is 32 years old, and known as "The Showman" in Danish badminton, because he always put on a show for the spectators.

:)

Cheers,
    FB

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

He seems a human highlight reel! A true Viking Beserker?
    Here's an example from 2010

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Christian Lind - Lin D - I remember that name, the guy whom Morten Frost once said likes to imitate and emulate Lin Dan even in the way he wraps his racquet head grip 2/3rd of the way.

In that video, Vittinghus must be amused by Lind as he is usually the one scrambling and diving all over the place in spectacular fashion and now there's a guy doing that to him.

5. FeatherBlaster

He's like that all the time.. Sometimes on the borderline to bad behaviour, but usually very very entertaining.

This close match ending from the Danish Team Leagues last year, is a good example. An insane 100+ shot rally, with Lind stretched physically for the last 60 shots. At one point giving up, until you can hear his coach yell at him.
    I don't remember the score, but it was something like 19-19. And I do remember, that Kim Bruun was not too happy, that the umpire allowed Lind to roll around all over the floor and take a 3 minute break to get over his cramps...

Cheers,
    FB

Cheung, Justin L and swunk like this.
  6. FeatherBlaster

And here's the you tube link for the first video (without going through the Danish page and adds):

Cheers,
    FB

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Interesting chap, the crowd is obviously entertained. I'm surprised he could get away with a yellow card at least, a red card or even disqualification for pulling off that antic or stunt when he's clearly not injured nor needing medical attention, falling to the floor then rolling to the side and sitting there for like two minutes or so. Some guys have all the like, I mean luck.:D

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Christian Lind Thomsen is more of a professional entertainer than player. We haven't seen much of him in the international circuit though, such a pity.

9. FeatherBlaster

Well he has been one of the best players in Denmark for years, just never able to reach the top level. Always no 3-6 in Denmark. So he has played "tier 2" tournaments and teams on the international scene most of the time.
    His best WR was 41 in 2010.
    In 2016 he was WR 90.

Cheers,
    FB

Cheung likes this.
  10. FeatherBlaster

This year's Danish Nationals seems to become an exciting tournament. There are good matchups in alle categories. Ladies doubles was the only flight where one pair was huge favorites (Pedersen & Rytter Juhl), but they had to withdraw due to injury so WD is also wide open now.
    In men's singles all the players are there, and the favourites are ready for today's QFs:
    JOJ, VA and HKV obviously. But the last QF is Anders Antonsen vs Kim Bruun. Emil Holst is also in the QF.
    They are the 6 best players in Denmark currently. All within WR top 60.

Cheers,
    FB

Fidget likes this.
  11. FeatherBlaster

Well, apparently I was too fast.
    Today both Kim Bruun and Axelsen had to leave the tournament due to injuries... :-(

Cheers,
    FB

12. FeatherBlaster

With Vittinghus out at the semis due to injury, today's final is JOJ vs Antonsen.

We did get to see another spectacular rally though, again with impressive defense from another of the lesser known players (David Kim Kristensen), enjoy:

Cheers,
    FB

13. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Hahaha Antonsen wins! He beat Jorgy in the final. Lol the soon to be wr no 1 (possibly), can not even win the national championships in his home country.

14. FeatherBlaster

Two things:

1) Antonsen played probably the best match of his career so far. He showed some offense we haven't seen from him before. To be honest, if he can continue that development, we will see him in WR top 10 (perhaps even this year?). He is still just 19 years old.

2) The Danish Championships is not the most important one for the SS level players. No doubt, they are trying 100% to win it when they are on court, but there is no special preparation for them. Some years (like last year) they don't even participate, if it doesn't fit the calendar. Unfortunately. I'm pretty sure that if it had been WC Axelsen had continued in the tournament. It was not a serious injury he incurred but he wouldn't risk the preparation for the more important upcoming SS tournaments (All England, etc).
    JOJ even played the tournament without a coach, just talking to himself on court :) Antonsen had his Danish League coaches guiding him. He had also prepared a lot for the match he said. Of course JOJ gave his best today, but make no mistake, had this been All England, Antonsen would have come in 2nd.

BUT, it was great to see Antonsen performing at this level, with the pressure of perhaps the most important match of his career so far, keeping his head cool.

He's a fun dude, with high aspirations and much belief in himself. And he's not afraid to talk out loud about his goals and talent. A young gun.

Not too long ago, he said "I'm the next big thing in badminton". Now he backed it up. He will be talking so much trash at the national training center the next couple of weeks :) Axelsen, Vittinghus and not least Joergensen will be reminded of this every single day...

Cheers,
    FB

swunk and Cheung like this.
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Nice one, that's a stunt that to me is a long time coming, for years I'm been waiting to see someone pull it off - seems quite natural to dive and follow it up with a somersault to get up quickly on the feet, provided the shuttle is not too far off and you're not too late to it, I would've thought.

16. FeatherBlaster

He played Wei Nan today on the TV Court in Germany.