Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Decent string.

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by jet, Jan 22, 2003.

1. jet

jet New Member

College Student
    God damn it. I keep breaking my string. I strung my Victor Pegasus SQ10 with Ashaway legend at 24 lbs tension. Two hours later I break it (again). Is there _ANY_ string that can stand that many pounds for at least a few months?

2. ntpm

ntpm Regular Member

Database Administrator
    BG65 should...if u like Ashaway, you could try Rally 22...although I've only had that one strung to 22lbs on my 3U Ti10.

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I had several racquets strung at the same time, all Carlton Airblade AS-Ti, with different string to see what the difference was

Ashaway MicroPower at 26 pounds
    BG68Ti at 28 pounds
    BG65Ti at 26 pounds
    BG65 at 26 pounds (supposed to be BG68-Ti @ 26 but shop ran out of BG68Ti)

the shop said the MicroPower was a 22 gauge, but all websites I've looked at list MicroPower as gauge 21 micro (0.70mm)

I started using the BG68Ti but it felt dead unless I hit the sweetspot, and the sweetspot was small.

I switched to the Ashaway which felt better but the strings broke after less than 4 hours play (but I guess an off-centre smash could break your strings at any time)

Went back to the BG68Ti and the tension must have dropped a bit because it feels a lot better now.

To be honest, I haven't noticeed much difference between the BG65s and the factory string that comes in the airblades as-ti the Carlton High Tension String which is 0.75mm

I've had them all about a month so far - so I can't say much about the durability yet

4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

forgot,

Ashaway claim it's string can withstand 33 pounds, so I would expect it to last more than a couple of hours (mis-hits notwithstanding).

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Here are my suggestion:

Ashaway Rally 22: Amazing string. Stands on my friend's racket for 4 months at 23 or 24 lbs. He's a hard hitter.

BG70pro: Very durable, however, also might lack of "feeling"

BG65: A very good overall string, durable and cheap. Not significant in control or power, but both should be at least acceptable. I used this on most of my rackets, can serve me well for at least several months each.

6. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    try bg-65 or bg-70 pro if you break strings that much. I'm sure there are many out there who likes ashaway but I have had horrible experience with ashaway. broke microlegend xl at 22 lbs after 1 hit, and broke rally 21 after about 30 min of play.

7. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

After 30 min of play and you only hit the bird once? I'm a little dissapointed in you jwu!!! :D ;)

8. ronk

ronk Regular Member

I too have similar experiences with the BG68Ti. I have this string on my MP77 and MP55 and find that with new strings at moderately high tension (apprixomately 25 lbs), it feels terrible -- like playing with a wooden board. After the strings break in and losen a bit, the racket feels a lot better with a bigger sweet spot. The BG68Ti is just too stiff to be strung at a high tension imho.

Ron

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hmmm...

I strung my satellite synchro using BG68Ti @ 22lb. For the 30 min practice, I did not find the issues such as "dead feeling". However, maybe get some different issues when I start real deal.

So, seems I made the right decision for not going up to 24lb, and don't have to suffer the first several hrs.

10. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

My experiences:

BG-65... OK String, I didn't seem to like it because it didn't provide the power I was looking for. However, the durability was great because I had it at least for 3 months. It didn't seem to have much kick to it and it was strung at 21lbs.

BG-70 Pro - I currently have this string and I like it. It feels good when I hit it and I had it strung at 22/22. For me, it felt like an upgrade of the BG-65 where it provided more kick while maintaining excellent control and living up to the reputation of being durable.

BG-80 - The only good thing about this string was power. I strung it at only 21lbs and yet it gave me lots of power. However, the durability of this thing is not great. I started to see the strings rip apart and that was just under a month.

I still want to try Ashaway strings as I tried a raquet with it and it felt pretty good.

Yodums

11. samohtom

samohtom Regular Member

string

depends if you middle it or not!

12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    BG-68 Ti is actually quite ok strung over 25 lbs. Training is the key.