Do you wax your strings???

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Kelvin, Mar 20, 2001.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    with waxing, your strings should move little bit more as mag have said. You dont notice it because it is also easier for the waxed strings to move back into place after the shuttle bounce off :p

2. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Ah, I see, ok Thanks. :)

3. Marcel

Marcel Guest

doesn't the wax has to be underneath the strings?

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    sorry, I meant both sides... :)
    what a mess it makes though!
    I'm wondering how it's supposed to come off!
    I should ask the guy... perhaps we just beat the strings to death when hitting high clears?
    I'll let you know...

5. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    Re: shuttle repair?

I tried this last year with six shuttles I picked up on the courts after play. All six had one feather broken but still attached, just dangling. I carefully glued the quill back on, using a small amount applied with a pin.
    Two days later I tried them out. Three were wobbly and three weren't. The three good ones each lasted about half a game. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble unless you have a more reliable method.

6. catbear

catbear Regular Member

Do you WAX your string?

Ok, I read the poll about how long your string lasts. Some are overly long 6 month +, and some are overly short, less than 2 weeks.

I use BG65 at 22lb, and playing twice a week. My string lasts about 4-6 weeks. But I noticed that it can last a lot longer if I put some wax on it. Do you guys do it?

Regards,
    CatBear

7. tranvi007

tranvi007 Regular Member

Student
    Waxed? Totally...

I recently got an Armortec 800 OF, and the guy that restrung my racquet waxed my strings. The wax though isn't candle wax. It's a much softly wax. Like the kind some people put on there braces to help prevent cuts in their mouth. The wax is put on before stringing to help make it easier to slide the string into the gromet holes. And it also make it easier not to tangle the string, while the racquet is strung. And also when the racquet is strung, the wax will make the strings slide easier across each other and no friction to hold back some part of the string. This will make the tension more accurate and more spread out on to the racquet. Without the wax a bit of string may stick to a corner of a racquet and stick to another part of the string, and this friction will hold back the tension. But when it's release or doesn't stick no more, extra string will then be released, and the tension will decrease slightly.

8. other

other Regular Member

Student
    a stringer in china did this as well...but not everyone does.

9. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

preference.. some people like it slippery some like ti stiff.. its all about choice.

10. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    Had a word/question with some international players and they said that none of them hav ever waxed string some had neva ven heard of it one laughed at your little antedote about the candle wax. They say that no ones ever said anything and the companies don't promote it. :p

11. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I use natural strings not sinthetic so mine would turn to a lump of spaghetti before my eyes :eek:

12. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I do the opposite way, I use the fine sand paper to make the strings not so slippery. (Yeah, I string my own rackets, and Yeah, strings don't cost me much, and Yeah, that's why I don't care about the durability) :)

13. geelee

geelee Regular Member

I wax the string about once a week (play 2-3 times a week). It do help prolong the string life. Noticed the new generation of string like BG-65, BG-68, ti series, etc, they has the fibre inside the thin plastic tube.
    Once the tube broken (the outer layer of string) due to friction of the strings, the inner part will expose and easier to cut.
    Applying wax (or what i said rubbing a candle all over string), will fill the small cut that happen after each game.
    Most pro player didn't do/know this coz they don't really care about the string, once it broken just throw the racquet to the "need to string" basket.
    Another thing, when you "wax" your string, the excess wax that attached to the string will fell off and caused the court slippery. So if you wax the string, do some "hard hit" using worn birdie to prevent the wax drop in the court.

14. MicroLegend

MicroLegend Regular Member

I just went to a shop to get my racquet strung with Ashaway ML (0.69mm).

I returned 2 hours later and hence did not watch the stringing process.

To my horror, when I got back my racquet,

The entire frame (and stringbed) was polluted with wax stains.

It looked really untidy and disgusting.

I had my racquet strung many times in a variety of places,

and this is the first time I have seen wax being used.

When I asked the stringer why wax was used,

She mentioned that it makes the string "more slippery".

I did a search about "wax" and this was the only post that appeared.

Is there affirmative evidence that wax benefits performance and durability at all?

Thank you.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Waxing may be acceptable in tennis but definitely not in badminton. Wax makes the shuttle/string interface slippery, robbing you of essential control. You want the string to grip the shuttlecock, not slip away from it.

16. MicroLegend

Thank you for your input.

I've a question, why do some of the BC members write that wax increases the durability of strings?

Also, what about the theory that wax "stops the strings from cutting each other, especially at high tension?"

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Wax reduces friction between strings and therefore reduces wear and tear. It is walking on shoes with grease. Your shoes and the surface you walk on will have reduced wear and tear. But is this what you want?

18. MicroLegend

Oh I see.

I will request stringing without wax in the future.

Thank you very much!

19. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    I do wax my string. I have several experiment over them, when I was told by my father to do this. It does prolong my String's age, so far. (No "Wound" on the string). At the first time, I do it all wrong, simply moving the candle each other with the string. Result?!? Bad, screwed up hit, and I have to lose all the wax. But, after the wax was cleaned up, I noticed my racket getting so much better.

When string isn't wax, it tends to fail to return to their "best" position, they can't maintain it. Each strong hit, caused they're opening a big hole. Then, I used another way to wax it. Just several times (very little candle wax on the string), then using my hand to spread the wax up, like using both of my palm, moving all around the string bed. And make sure, there's no visible wax anymore. This way, the string will always back to the original place, since the wax is between the join of vertical and horizontal.

I do this in every bad joins, until all of them become good. I did feel something different of it. But, maybe anyone has better explanation about this xD? :D:D:D:D Since this is my experience, and my own best friend isn't agree about this. Yet, his string does last long too. So I won't say this is solving durability problem. And, I believe this is very case based.

20. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    That means your string was strung improperly or you hit at an angle.