Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

edmontonian

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by cooler, Feb 10, 2002.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    could someone from edmonton find out the height of wang wen? He is working part time in royal glenora. He look like 5' 5" to 6" to me the last time i saw him but it's just a pure guess.

2. mtakako

mtakako Guest

I think he is like 5'5" maybe even 5'4".. He really isn't that tall, but damn good...

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

yes, that's is the reason i want to make sure of his height. His speed and technique is so good i say (without the benefit of seeing earlier legend) he's the best MS i have seen. If W. Wen has an average height 5' 9" or 10", he could easily be world champ.

4. mtakako

mtakako Guest

Well. I don't know WC.. but he is a awesome player.. He used to play for china , I think... And than came over to canada and stop his badminton training.... he is currently a coach as Glenora.. Man I wish he was my coacd.. but damn to expensive there to train...But I do believe if he is abit taller will help his badminton a little.. Although he has a crazy jump smash anyways...

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

W. Wen

i guess u haven't seen W. Wen in competitive action. When he arrived in canada, he beat all the best canadian MS and sometime MD could dish out. He hardly practice. He just show up on tournament days. He was the junior champ of china in the late 80's. In 1992 cdn open, W. Wen lost to Poul E. Larson 15-8, 15-7 (if i remembered th scores correctly). W.Wen basically went even scores with Poul until he got pooped. Not bad for a guy that was ~ 5' 4" or 5" and smokes. P. Larsen was at or near his career peak as he took the MS gold in 1996. .

6. mtakako

mtakako Guest

Re: W. Wen

No.. I know he had got to Canada number 1 easier years ago when he first arrive.. But being number 1 in canada doesn't mean he was possible to being number one in the world... There is quite a difference in the standard interm of badminton for every country.. Nevertheless, he is superb player and could have been one of the higher ranks in the world if he has continue....But being number one in the world is a different things...

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I've said "If W. Wen has an average height 5' 9" or 10", he could easily be world champ."

8. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed

I've seen him play and simply there is no one like him in Canada at that time. One of the stories that I have heard about his release to Canada is due to his height. At the peak of his early career he was the top junior in China, but the national coaches saw his height as a limit or hinderance. He was relegated to second string in favor of taller juniors and therefore he never got to compete for China in international (outside) events.

9. viver

viver Regular Member

Don't think he's the only one that has been dropped because of height. Another one that I have heard is Yang KaSheng. During the 80's, this guy was among the top players (not sure but probably won the singles in China National games) in China.

10. Resistance

Resistance Guest

I believe there were other reasons beside his height that prevented him from going to the international level....

One other note, most people believe good players are good coaches. I am not saying Wan Wen is not a good coach... but there are very few good coaches. In fact, some of the best badminton coaches are players that never got too high in world international rankings...

If anyone ever wants to improve their consistency in their shots, try feeding birds... Trust me, it will improve your game very fast in drastically. And at the same time, you will learn what kind of shots will make the other player run and tire him out. After all the name of the game of feeding bird to your student is to train his foot work and his movement on the court.

I do this every week 25-30 hours a week, and my shots when playing games are very tight to the corners... Most are on the line or tight to the corner.. all because of shuttle feeding to my students.... :D:D

If you have never tried it before, try it... you will see a difference from the other side of the fence. And trust me when I say it is a lot harder than it seems.....