Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Elbow aches when I squeeze the racquet handle firmly and extend my arm.

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by BernieR, May 12, 2013.

1. BernieR

BernieR Regular Member

I've been playing more recently. I also feel some pain/discomfort on overhead shots. Any suggestions about possible cause and remedy?

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Not enough description. The elbow has anterior/posterior/medial/lateral aspects and the joint itself. Where is the pain?.

3. BernieR

BernieR Regular Member

Hi Cheung,

Apologies, yes, too little information. The pain is lateral I think, so if I place my arm against the wall with the back of my hand to the wall, the pain is where the elbow touches the wall.

I did a lot of stretching before and after playing yesterday, I have a book on stretching so followed advice there, also rubbing the affected area, and it feels a lot better today.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Internet diagnosis is a shot in the dark, but...

There's a good chance you have tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis), which is a common injury among badminton players.

An excellent treatment for this is the Tyler Twist exercise, using a Theraband Flexbar. And of course, rest helps too!