Giant LJB Update

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Charlie-SWUK, May 21, 2017.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Just thought I'd let people know, Lee Jae Bok put up an entire new series of videos on his Youtube channel today.

Much better quality, less shouty and less echo.

visor, Cheung and phihag like this.
  2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Charlie-SWUK likes this.
  3. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Oh, I just noted the YouTube videos are all just cut short before the main content starts. In order to actually watch the videos, you have to buy each individual clip at http://coachingbadminton.com/. I think it's fair to pay for high-quality content, so I went ahead and bought two videos. First of all, the technical setup is atrocious:
    • You have to enable popups. This is the first page in quite a while where I had to do that.
    • For some weird reason, you have to enter the email twice in one dialog, and then choose a password in the next, thus preventing password managers to recognize that email and password belong together.
    • Email addresses and passwords are sent over unencrypted connections in the clear.
    • The site is quite slow, because it is composed of many frames.
    • The final page of the PayPal payment process is just empty, with a note to close the tab. Why not show my the video I just paid for? You have to close the tab and reload the original one.
    • You have to pay for every single video. Because paying is like 30s under the best of times, you waste a lot of time just paying.
    • It's quite expensive if you want to watch the whole library. By my estimation, the new content costs about 150$ ! Compared with similar offerings by @Coach_Ruhnow that's really expensive.
    • Sometimes, videos don't load. Refreshing helps.
    • By default, the quality is quite low.
    • I would appreciate an option to download the videos (or at least all I paid for) so I can watch them offline, and on other devices; for instance, a smartphone while I'm waiting for the bus, or my laptop when I'm on the train.
    • The wording 15 minutes of access and a watch later button makes me think that I can't watch a video as often as I want. Why on earth would you limit that? If I pay for a video (and it's not cheap, see above), I expect to be able to watch it as often as I want.
    • Update: While I was writing this, a video stopped loading. I refreshed twice and got about 30s each time. It seems I missed the 15 minutes window. Now I have to pay again in order to see it!
    Then, to the videos themselves. I have no doubt that Lee Jae Bok is a great trainer, but I have a number of concerns:
    • He is obviously not a native speaker. In particular, his diction sounds really strange; he often pauses in the middle of a thought. As a non-native speaker, I have trouble understanding him.
    • The subtitles are nice, but they don't smooth over the grammar mistakes, so again it's quite hard to understand.
    • He demonstrates some situations, but that's quite artificial. Why not start with a demonstration run by 2 students and then step into the video or so?
    • The point of many videos is very shallow. At least the videos I watched had lots of unnecessary repetitions. Maybe that's the language barrier I mentioned above.
    In summary, while I always welcome more Badminton content. However, the execution is horrible - you have to pay a lot, and if there is any technical difficulty, you don't even get to see the video you paid for!

The content quality is also inferior to even free offerings, for instance by @paulstewart64 or @ljutzkanov.

#3 phihag, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    realbacon likes this.
  4. darrengsaw

darrengsaw Regular Member

Data Analyst
    Website has been taken down, I'm guessing these bugs are being taken care of.

Have to say the payment model isn't one that I think is likely to be a winner.

I seem to remember he did something similar in the IBBS days.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

5. visor

visor Regular Member

I would say Gollum's Badminton Bible videos are much better.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

6. darrengsaw

darrengsaw Regular Member

Data Analyst
    Agreed

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

7. Brian Frie

Brian Frie New Member

8. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse

Actually, this is probably one of his best videos yet. Even if many may not agree with his hitting technique, his tactics are very informative and good to take example from.

The only thing I wish would be a better demonstration.

9. Abu Tanki

Abu Tanki Regular Member

Student
    It does seem like some of the techniques LJB teaches are a bit outdated.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk