Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Hallo! from a Malaysian living in Cambridge

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by fiish, Feb 19, 2011.

1. fiish

fiish Regular Member

Engineer
    Hallo! I'm a Malaysian living and working in Cambridge, UK. By profession I am an electrical/electronic engineer and I work for a microchip design firm. Before moving to Cambridge I was a student of the University of London.

I'm fairly new to this forum, having joined last November. Although I played badminton as a boy in Malaysia it was not regular, more just socially with family and I never really picked up correct technique. My little sister took lessons at school and I got pasted a lot :S

In the past year, I was getting injured too much during football and decided to switch to badminton for sport. I realized most of the guys my age (I'm 25) who play are much, much better, so have decided to make some serious improvement to my game. Not playing badminton for a few years was a bit of a blessing as I seem to have forgotten childhood bad habits, so the past 4-5 months have felt like a fresh start.

My current goal is to get to a playing standard that would allow me to join one of the badminton clubs in Cambridge - I tried out at one club night last autumn and spent 3 hours getting utterly destroyed. There is huge room for improvements in all departments, especially footwork and defence. However, I am keeping above the goal one quote from Han Jian from a badminton book I read, which is "Understand the game, try to improve but always enjoy it." :D

BC has been of significant help in the past 2 months; I enjoy reading and trying out the advice of the coaches and players from all over the world.

Also if there is anyone in Cambridge who would like to play/practise together, it would be nice to do so :) Also potentially looking for coaching.

#1 fiish, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Welcoming fiish to BadmintonCentral !!!

Hi fiish.

Welcome to BadmintonCentral !!! :):):)

Hope that BCers living in Cambridge, UK, would help you to join one of their Badminton clubs.

I replied your post because I am surprised that no Bcers from Cambridge has done so.

I am a coach, but unfortunately I am down under, in Australia; and of no help to you. :):):)

3. kkmh2

kkmh2 Regular Member

Undergrad
    Hi fiish!

I'm currently living in Cambridge as well, wouldn't mind playing lols. In case you're interested, there's a social badminton session over at Kelsey Kerridge every Sunday 12 - 2pm. Apart from that there are always sessions organised by the Cambridge University Malaysian Society - these usually happen on Fridays/Saturdays. Hope that helps and hope you enjoy Cambridge! :)

Ho K

4. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Hi fiish,

I would recommend you to try out for some social badminton sessions, organized by wolson college, on every Sunday(during term times) at 9am-12pm in Leys School sports Hall, CB2 7AD. The captain of the team is a Malaysian himself and won't mind you joining them. There is a good mix of players with different skill proficiency so it will be easier for you to pick up the game. You can leave kkmh2 or me a meassge if you are interested.

5. Gilbert.Ng

Gilbert.Ng New Member

is there a drop in fee or anything like that? are shuttles provided?