Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Hand/Palm Pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by ir22mean, Dec 31, 2010.

1. ir22mean

ir22mean Regular Member

Student
    Hi everyone,

I used to play badminton and started to get back into it (it's been approximately 4 years). I've had a couple of sessions of singles and doubles, and I've noticed that towards the end, I start to feel a soreness or pain in the middle of my palm (feels more like a muscle pain). I've seen other threads where the fingers are involved but this was a specific pain only to the inside palm (no pain on the outside of the hand), and no where else. I was wondering if this is has happened to anyone else?

During the sessions, I've demoed a couple of different grips sizes including my old racquet which was a G3 + 2 overgrips and a G4, and in both cases, I experienced the pain. The pain doesn't last for more than a couple of days and mostly just bothers me shortly after playing. I've been playing a lot of tennis since the layoff and I thought that my hand muscles would be able to handle it.

Any suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

something far too busy for my badminton needs
    Is it possible that you were gripping the racquet too tightly?

A G3 grip with two overwraps sounds huge to me, but it makes sense for a tennis player.

3. ir22mean

ir22mean Regular Member

Student
    When I played before, I had used a G4 with no overgrips. I doubt my hand grew much since then, but I think I automatically added the overgrips because it didn't seem right (due to the tennis influence). I did hit with a G4 again, with the same problems. It could be due to gripping it too tightly but I wasn't sure if others had experienced this.