Have you ever had this feeling after playing?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Cheung, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Sometimes after I play in the evening, I can't get to sleep very easily. My legs feel very energetic although I would have played enough to be tired.

It happens more often(or seems to be) after playing during the daytime. Less so after doubles.

A few months ago, I saw on TV an extreme athelete from Australia who actually likes the pain from exercise and gets a rush from it. Don't think my case is so extreme but might be along the same direction.

Would be interested to know if anybody feels more energetic after their sessions.
    Any takers?

2. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    I had this feeling once when I was in the army. We had to run for miles. At first, the feeling was similar to other times but as I went on for a few kilometers (I was tired at first to run), I felt I could actually continue to run for a lot more. Not sure how but I wasn't tired, although I knew we should be.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    After a long evening of badminton and then a shower afterward, i too feel mentally alert although physically tired. I usually read a book or surf the net for an hour before going to bed.

Funny but true story, there is one badminton player i know who get so tense up that everyone knows he can't sleep if he didn't win all his games that night or he if he lost some games that he felt he should of won.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have that a lot with cycling, an even more endurance sports than badminton singles, and only very rarely for badminton.

perhaps with long exercise, the body needs time to cool down? something like adrenaline level is still high? hey, you are the doctor. you tell us. :)

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    after an evening of badminton i often replay in my head rallies that i did well, and did poorly. and think how i can do differently in different situations.

you know in that period between awake and asleep? my mind will automatically put me in this badminton mode. i will be playing against my friends, with rallies that feels very real.

i think i have gone crazy.

6. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    hahahahaha :D

7. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    Ermm ... sounds familiar ... well, Kwun, I suffered from this years ago, and err .. do you also find yourself waking up while doing a reflex with your arm because in your sleep, your friends are hitting a difficult shot to you ?

Kwun, i'm sure you will get over it some time. I'm cured (well, at least it isn't happening anymore) :D

8. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi all,

Sometimes, i actually lay there on my bad and while semi-conscious, i think about the games i had etc and past events,. and also future games. While remembering some shots (like opponent playing a smash), this sounds totaly sad but either 1) My wrist will quickly move/jump or 2) my leg would quickly twitch. This ALWAYS happens, but thats why u get for being a badders fanatic :D

Matt

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    surprise to read that you consider this suffering! what's better than being able to play badminton while it doesn't waste time, no court fee, no energy needed, no sweat, etc. ???? it is like extended play time! :D

i just hope it will not go away. haha. ;)

10. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    hmm suffering... experiencing is -maybe- probably more appropriate being among badminton fanatics. But the thing is ... when waking up doing the movement with the arm - or leg, welcome to the club, Matt :D , i'm annoyed that i missed the shuttle. Nobody wants to miss a shuttle, right ? :)

11. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    jump smashes are the best :D

12. viver

viver Regular Member

Yes, usually after a night of badminton I'm still quite alert after the games finished. I need sometime to slow down and able to rest. When used to practice harder where a higher degree of concentration was required, I remember it took me about 2 to 3 hours to able to sleep - considering my house was a mere 5 min walk to the gym.

I agree with Kwun, Cheung, you should know better than us! :D

13. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    Endorphines

I have the same feeling after evening training sessions. I beed 1 to 2 hours to fall asleep. I think it might be endorphines that still circulate in the blood. Sympthoms are quite straight - great mood, feeling powerful :cool:

14. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I played in the semi final of my county restricted singles last year, and the match lasted for ages (about an hour and a half I think). I played really well, and was totally focussed on the game. Eventually I lost 17-16 9-15 15-13, but the problem was that I couldn't switch off after the game! I was physically exhausted afterwards but my mind was far too alert. I think I lay in bed all night with my eyes wide open and twitching like Matt described. So the next day I had to play doubles with the guy that beat me in the singles and he was exhausted just the same as me!

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think trapped never has the answer. Endorphins are the body's natural pain killers and produce a sense of well being.

About the powerful bit, how come my smashes aren;t any harder at the end of a session:confused: :)

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Hmm, i thought endorphins have calming effect and therefore make you sleep better and deeper, and not to prevent you from being sleepy. After a hard evening of badminton I think it is the adrenaline that keeps one awake until it get worn off. I don't think endorphins are responsible for keeping one awake. Most painkillers usually make people drowsy, not awake.

#16 cooler, Sep 19, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2002
  17. Shoulderpain

Shoulderpain Regular Member

ESL teacher
    Sleepless nights after badminton

After I play badminton, I almost always have a restless night. I've heard that intense exercise in the evening (when I play) raises the body's core temperature, which makes it more difficult to sleep. I don't know why, but even after playing for hours, I never feel fall-down tired afterwards, like I might after running for an hour or more, for example. I think it's because badminton is so fast moving and requires a lot of mental alertness. Of course if I play badly, I'm even more restless.

18. viver

viver Regular Member

I remember seeing something about office people working out during lunch break. A scientist(??) mentioned about the adrenaline levels after the work out. People usually returning to work after the workout are more hyped and easier to get emotional due to high level of adrenaline. He advises people to take some time 'cool down' after the work out.

19. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Well, normally I feel tired after each session but last evening was different. The only thing that I could think of what that there were only 5 of us and we played continuously (rotating one player off) and all the games were terrific. Good rallies and fast paced.

I was getting wasted after the fourth continuous games but when time was finally called on the seventh game, I was surprised to feel pretty energentic and was ready for more. This feeling actually lasted for quite a while and I didn't managed to get to back until 1:30 am.

Yeah, I would said that the good old adrenaline was still pumping.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Surprisingly, adrenaline only lasts a short time (less than one minute).

However, the nerves might be continuously producing adrenaline admittedly.

Endorphins produce euphoria and a sense of well being which is what I think is the basis. Anybody heard of '2nd wind'? a person feels tired and then later on suddenly discovers that they can still go on (like WWC's case).

That would fit with endorphine surge, less pain from the muscles and a sense of well being.

(Disclaimer, I'm not a sports scientist!)