Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Help! Strings Chart from Yonex.com

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by sbowesuk, Apr 9, 2007.

1. sbowesuk

sbowesuk Regular Member

Financial Consultant
    [​IMG]

In the very near future, I will be buying myself the new Armortec 900 Power to enhance my smashes and power orientated style of play. To go with this new racket, I really want to add a top quality Yonex string (cost is not an issue) which will enhance even further this emphasis on power.

Crucially, it MUST be reasonably durable, as I don't want the hassle of broken strings in need of repair every couple of weeks. Where I live there is no shop I can just waltz into to have my racket restrung - it really would be a major hassle.

Above you can see a very interesting chart I found on www.yonex.com, which could be just the ticket to working out what string is best for my needs. Only thing is, I’m finding the all-important right-hand chart to be a bit confusing to work with.

For starters, what is repulsion? I always thought it meant power, but as you can see from the chart BG68Ti (strongest repulsion) is for the "control player" and not the "hard hitter" – this confuses me. Durability is self-explanatory, however could someone explain:

1. What hard hitter, control player, and most importantly repulsion mean.

2. If I want to make my smash as powerful and deadly as possible, which axis should I be paying the most attention to and why?

Anyway, with my current understanding of the chart, coupled with my requirements (see paragraphs 1 & 2), I’ve whittled my options down to:

· BG65 – Super durable, versatile for control player and especially hard hitter, but poor repulsion.

· BG80 – Great for repulsion and hard hitters, but (according to the chart) poor durability.

· NBG95 – Very good durability and repulsion (virtually no compromise here), but not that strong a standing for hard hitters or control players.

Right now (if the chart is truly accurate), I’m leaning towards NBG95 – the very good durability and repulsion together sounds great and would be just what I’m looking for. If only I truly knew what repulsion meant in badminton terms…

2. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

Follow me on Twitter: @sifuyono
    1. Hard hitter = hard hitter, playing style based on smash.
    Control = playing style based on accuracy and placement, such as drop shot, netting, drive placement.
    Repulsion = force contact separate between two object. I'll make it clearly, means more distance w/ same swing speed.
    2. Repulsion and hard hitter, but like pro and stringer manufacturer said, smash power more dictated by string tension than string properties.
    the new NBG-95 is great allround string beside BG-80 as on dink chart.

3. sbowesuk

sbowesuk Regular Member

Financial Consultant
    Finally decided on NBG-95 at 24lb to go with my new Yonex Armortec 900 Power :D ..Still to test it but can sense already it's going to do a great job! Didn't want to go above 24lb for a few reasons:

24lb is the official max for the AT 900 P
    Don't want the string to break. Seems that the people with crazy tensions of +30lb that break their strings
    More power for my AT 900 P :)

4. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

Follow me on Twitter: @sifuyono
    don't hestitate to go higher tension as long as you are comfortable and improve your game:)

5. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    Why not try the Nanogy 98?

6. snoopy

snoopy Regular Member

nanogy 98 is not available in the UK yet.

7. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    You can always get it shipped!!

8. sbowesuk

sbowesuk Regular Member

Financial Consultant
    Correct..otherwise I'd have gone for that :)

9. sbowesuk

sbowesuk Regular Member

Financial Consultant
    In my case it's not quite that simple. Even if I could have had it shipped in, how would I have had it strung in? I can't string/don't have a machine, don't know anyone who could do it, and there's no stringing shop here. Basically when I ordered my AT 900 P from www.centralsports.co.uk, they gave the of choosing from a variety of Yonex strings, and the choice of tensions - all at a discount price.

10. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    I see... so what are you going to do when it's time to replace your string?

11. sbowesuk

sbowesuk Regular Member

Financial Consultant
    lol I don't know, but I'm guessing it'll involve sending my racquet away somewhere, at additional cost :/