Hendra Setiawan -- the new Tony?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by ye333, Feb 4, 2008.

1. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

2. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Actually Hendra's idol is Tony.. :D
    Jia You my friend.. G'luck for the upcoming All England and Swiss Opens!

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Yeah, those..

:eek:...points, or at least most of them in the MD SF, were won with 3 shots..(if not mistaken, no wonder it took only 20 min. for the young INA pair to finish the entire match)..:p :cool:

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

MK/HS are an amazing pair. i think the only top pair they have left to beat is KKK/TBH, there seems to be some psychological barrier when they play against the MAS pair. most of the matches i've seen them play, they've lost tamely to KKK/TBH. very strange.

5. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    He is good on the net,good at making chance for kido..n also,his offensive play is scary as well.This guy can smash!!

6. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

They seem to be really improved during the WC07 onwards. So quick, and so powerfull on smashes, both of them. If they meet KKK/TBH now, my guess is they will take it in straight sets.

7. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Smashes won't help them beat Koo/Tan. In previous matches INA pair kept smashing until Kido sent the shuttle wide or Hendra made a net error. Koo/Tan are more tactically minded compared to CHN and KOR pairs, even in defense.

What could help them beat Koo/Tan is first to take the net initiative from Koo. Hendra has the speed to match Koo, so it's not too hard if they can force Koo at the backcourt.

The current World Champs can learn a lot from the ex-World Champs Jonas/Lars or even Tony/Candra, that was a great display to turn the tables on Koo/Tan, even if Tan wasn't playing that well on both occasions.

8. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i like the current crop of MDs. they make it so interesting with their fast play. add that with the cunning of the oldies, MD rocks. hehehe. hendra is very calm and mild mannered on court. :) i like that about him.

9. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

Yes the MDs event is the best right now. All the World Champs seems to be in form. TG/CJ, JR/LP, CY/FHF, and MK/HS very interesting. Can the korean MD and MAS match them now ... (I mean now not last year) ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Well maybe ..

10. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Yes, totally agree that Setiawan is reaching Tony / Candra / Sigit legendary status. Think i said it after the KO :D

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I think Setiawan is his own man. I dont see him as a new Tony. Setiawan is Setiawan. He can be among the legends in the future.

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..they're about to build their own legend..

..let's just hope this young, energetic and full of potential INA pair won't dissolve and go their separate ways. Because they are either entering their prime or about to enter their prime.:cool: *sigh* just imagine if Tony and Candra were still playing for the INA squad, 6-7 yrs ago..:(:p

13. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

they would have won everything .... well, perhaps not everything but they would certainly have been amongst the favourites for all the tournaments they entered.

14. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Everyone is his own man... Hendra's recent performance reminds me of Tony in 05 and 01, very cool, very efficient, merciless. That's the reason of the title.

15. gary_seeker

gary_seeker Regular Member

Students
    Well this is just my thought but for me the new NSS makes player more dependent on their coach since they can talk during interval of 11 so it makes the role of coach is higher since he can analyze the game and change their tactics. while in OSS coach can only come in between duration of set. So in my opinion KKK & TBH success can't be separated by rexy ability to examine the match. So for me it's rexy who help them with tactic most of the times, not just them alone.

16. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    The NSS needs a quick counteraction to an opponent, that's why coaches are given the leeway for instructions at the break. Otherwise, there will be no recovery from a trailing position.