History of Malaysia badminton..

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by blessing, Dec 13, 2006.

1. C L BAO

C L BAO Regular Member

Student
    :D I was ONE when we last grab hold of that cup. LOL...

Sort of a bit of physical training. but he didnt let us play. we were doing activities to increase our leg & arms power. it's important. :D

2. blessing

blessing Regular Member

hahaha.. i'm d youngest~ eheh.. nono.. sumbody younger den me when mas last lift d thomas cup.. lolz..

3. kikks9

kikks9 Regular Member

i treasure the memories... 1992 ... family and friends who are here and who have left ... :) left with only memories :)

4. blessing

blessing Regular Member

muAHahaa.. Another history of MAS.. 2nd time in DIvision 1 of Sudirman CUp.. but failed to proceed to the semis.. sobz..

5. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    Yes! Jakarta 2008!
    I was 7 when we won TC. And i remember we watched with all my uncle, aunties, cousins, grandma..wow! Then one one my uncle suggested that instead of giving holiday to us, why don't the govt make Badminton Day where everyone must bring a badminton racket everywhere they go :p :D

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  7. blessing

blessing Regular Member

lolz.. very paiseh la.. but that time goverment really gave 1 day holiday...?

8. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    Hmm.. that part, i don't remember. May be anyone else remembers? Did the govt give us holiday for winning the TC :confused:

9. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Those were the days when the whole family would eat dinner early and then pack in front of the telly cheering each other's teams: my family were all rooting for Malaysia whenever the team plays, while my father, mother and I cheered for China, whereas my eldest brother, Indonesia.

My second brother couldn't care less unless it's his own country playing.

10. kikks9

kikks9 Regular Member

11. angelatby

angelatby Regular Member

Architect Assistant, Piano Teacher
    MY GOD! So old-fashioned and out-moded, LOL :D Especially players hair, i think during their time, guys dont prefer very short hair, very funny. NO pictures on female players...... probably cause more laughter, because during 80's the hairstyle is BULKY, MASSIVE & LARGE SIZE for its weight, no rebonding yet !! :eek:

12. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Here some picture from our great badminton lady..

Sylvia Ng..

19syl2.jpg

19syl3.jpg

13. angelatby

angelatby Regular Member

Architect Assistant, Piano Teacher

14. ixory

ixory Regular Member

off topic :hehehe..i think tat time rebonding is not popular,maybe dun exist yet..:D.. teresa is a singer tat sing 'Yue Liang Dai Bio Wo De Xin' right??i love tat song..:p..

Read more about sylvia(if u can understand malay) ..EPG. Hope anyone out there can translate it for other reader who dun understand malay.;)

15. ixory

ixory Regular Member

i think there is no holiday given,as far as i can remember,i went to school the next day with panda eye..hehe..:D

16. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    1992, i was 15. my grandfather told me to go to sleep. but i turn the volume down a bit and kept watching. the times when i wanted to scream out loud but i couldn't because my grandfather would hear me and turn the tv off. after we won and the tv showed our celebrations, i spend the night wide eyed, not believing it. feels like i won something. i was so excited, i think i did not sleep that night. i dont remember if the government declared holiday the next day, but even if i did not go to school, i remember meeting friends and discussing animatedly about malaysia's success. and how we are so in love now with badminton players. hahahaha. :D those were the days. i hope we will have them again before i turn 50. *smiling and reminiscing*.....:)

17. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I was very young when we won the TC under controversial circumstances in '67 (Tan Yee Khan's squad). My parents remembered that during the 8th match with MAS leading 4-3, Tan Yee Khan and Ng Boon Bee totally outplayed INA pair in 1st game 15-2. Then in the 2nd, Senayan crowd trouble affected them and they lost the 2nd 13-18. After that, the game was stopped by the Tournament Referee .....

But in 1992, I was at THE STADIUM, (with our "now official" Cheerleader). And the atmosphere was so great, I do not expect the coming World Championships to top it. Flag and banner "psychological wars" were being fought against the not-insignificant other team's supporters. All in good and friendly spirit.

We had some agony at 1st, looking at how difficult it was for Rashid to beat Ardy, 15-11, 10-15, 15-4 win (and that after leading 9-0 in 2nd game, his game suddenly collapsed). He was so tired after that, could hardly walk out of court.

Then came Razif/Jalani, but Jalani didn't play well, ended up with Razif covering (in vain as it seems). They lost 9-15, 15-9, 2-15 and Eddy Hartono/Rudy Gunawan danced on court ......

Old warhorse (yeah, old at 29) Foo Kok Keong came to battle Susi's sweetheart. Very surprising match, Alan Budi Kusuma was slain easily 15-6, 15-12. And for this edition, PBSI made Alan the scapegoat for the loss, similar to Joko Suprianto (who also lost to Foo) in the previous TC Edition.

Finally, future sworn enemies Cheah Soon Kit/Soo Beng Kiang played future INA legends Ricky/Rexy. In a scrappy battle of nervous youngsters, the MAS pair prevailed 15-12, 10-15, 15-8. If you want to know how nervous, well, we could see Soo Beng Kiang and Ricky Subagja's trembling arms during service .....

The last (boring) match was played for formality, Joko beat Kwan Yoke Meng and we wished there was a walkover. After the ceremonies and all, it was 2 am (or was it later) and time to start the long walk home ......

18. kikks9

kikks9 Regular Member

I guess this should be here as well :) i found it somewhere on this forum, i think modious posted the link in another thread.

proud to have my uncle and another very very very close family friend involved in the growth of badminton in malaysia :)

http://www.viweb.freehosting.net/badminton.htm

malaysia boleh.

btw thanks for the links for all the readings :) i really enjoyed them. anybody else have anything on how malaysia became a badminton nation?

19. blessing

blessing Regular Member

hahahhaah.. they might be funny but they played up to standard at those time.. wakaka

20. ixory

ixory Regular Member

wow:eek:..i never knew we won TC 1967 under controversial circumstances,why they stop the matched???Is it bcoz of the crowd ??Just curious:p.Anyway i enjoy reading your experience abedeng.Thanks.;)