Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Improving my speed on the court

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Drgn01, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Drgn01

Drgn01 Regular Member

Student
    Hi everyone! I'm in a bit of a problem at the moment. I play for my high school senior badminton team, and I started the season playing mixed doubles. We were really good, but the coach thought that I might be better on my own in singles.
    So lately I've been trying singles, and I'm finding the transition a bit tough. I'm a quick learner, so I didn't have a problem with new things such as the new strategies, new serves/shots, ect. However, my one big problem is speed.
    When I played mixed doubles, I didn't have to worry much about how fast I was because I was a good tactical player, plus I would only cover 1/2 or at max 3/4 of the court at a time, which made for much less running. But now that I'm dealing with the entire court, I find that all my footwork is rather clumsy and I'm not as fast as I have to be. As soon as my footwork starts to fall behind it's a lot harder to make the right shot I want and I end up losing the point..
    So my question is, what's the best, most efficient way to increase my speed on the court? Should I keep practicing my footwork, or should I be training my legs? What excercises or drills would you recommend?
    I really appreciate any help you can give in regards to my problem!

A bit more about me: I was going weight lifting regularly prior to the badminton season, and I'm not the skinniest guy you'll meet, so I'm a bit on the bulky side. My footwork is fairly good, but I get tired pretty fast so my strides/steps get shorter and I start to stumble or get clumsy. And I would say clears and smashes are my best shots, while I still have to work on doing drop shots from the rear-court.

2. druss

druss Regular Member

Doesn't sound like it's a speed issue but more of a stamina problem.

3. Drgn01

Drgn01 Regular Member

Student
    Hm, yeah I was thinking the same thing. I was beginning to cut back on weight lifting and focus predominantly on cardiovascular excercise to avoid gaining any unnecessary muscle or weight, so I should probably stick with that.

Another small question.. I don't normally do any skipping, but I've heard it helps when training for badminton. Would you suggest I add skipping into my routine?

4. rryz3365

rryz3365 Regular Member

Student
    To improve speed

I think skipping rope is very helpful to train up the calve muscles which increases the speed and also stamina. Skipping rope is a quite intense exercise (especially double skips) which will increase your cardiovascular performance. Although I am not a good player, I think skipping rope as improved my badminton by a lot. I am not that skinny either.