Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Like I said, other nations have players who stumble to cross the finish line, some INA, CHN, JPN, DEN players. When they lose, their supporters do not ever mock them. Ever.

2. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Corporate Worker
    Well, any one of them didn't win World Championship when they could have?
    MAS players have blown their chance over and over and over again for 20+ years. How can someone stay hopeful with that? LCW has blown his chance at least 10+ times already including OG. When leading in third set against LD in 2012 OG/2013 WC, he is gonna win this, then he lost.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Well, that one is easy to answer.....

That's because LD is the GOAT...

But seriously, the major difference between LD and LCW is not skills or physicality. It's in between the ears.

4. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

because the INA, CHN, JPN, DEN players had won any major tournaments title including WC, OG, AG, Thomas/Uber Cup, Sudirman Cup, even Thailand and Spain won gold medal in WC and OG, even they lost the match, they can go win again in future, just only MAS would keep losing the match (even in qualifying rounds) as they never ever won any big tournament title, the MAS last big win is in Thomas Cup year 1992, that was MAS badminton's last "glory" since then......

5. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Corporate Worker
    Crap, I didn't know you are so denial. LCW as leading a lot then makes mistakes as every second goes like vs Brice Leverdez. It's impossible for people other than MAS citizen themselves to understand this situation.

6. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I only criticize one aspect, his influence on the team as revealed in the decision to fire MF. Otherwise I enjoy watching him play and I have defended his talent more then once in front of LD's fans.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Well, I'm originally from MAS. So I do understand the heartache. I couldn't eat or sleep for half a day after that MS final OG 2012!

Perhaps in the final analysis, it's discipline. All the other stronger countries you mentioned, their players have more discipline.

8. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Corporate Worker
    Yeah, woah, LCW is the badboy, kicking out Jeremy Gan and Morten Frost for not entering him with Goh V Shem at SS events.
    Other factors is there too, failure to bring OG gold medals, SEA Games disappointing outing, Sudirman Cup flop, World Championship disaster. Pick one.
    He is saying MAS can win this, that but actually lose all the time. No wonder BAM lost faith.

9. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Corporate Worker
    Okay, I sympathize with you there. I agree though, that the discipline training isn't enough. Hope juniors can do well in the future and actually win something big.

visor likes this.
  10. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

all the BAM need is some coach that have the characteristic of Coach Carter...

11. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Corporate Worker
    Like who? BAM already has Misbun, Cheah Soon Kit, Wong Pei Ty, Hendrawan and Tey Sue Bock.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    But you need to believe in yourself to have discipline. And can you believe in yourself when the public keep justifying their destructive criticism and give more criticism despite playing well? It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy and the cycle of failure cannot be broken.

I suspect Goh Jin Wei is already showing effects of this. A few bad results, she tries harder, she hides injury, can't get herself out of a rut, impatient people criticize more. It's a lot for a young person to handle.

13. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    One day, you will know why he lost.
    Many people knew why he didn't win.

#2493 nokh88, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  14. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

This is the key point, I think. It has been long since the last time MAS won major trophy, and it seeps into the players mind and MAS spectators. Players start to feel the pressure when they are nearing the finish line. The spectators start to lose faith and become impatience, thus start to 'boo' and disregard their own player. This even put more pressure on the player and start to have less confidence, resulting on bad results as overall.

So it starts with failure at the very top, and now also make impact to low level tournament and players.

In football, MAS is like England; proud with themselves as on of the traditional powerhouse, but actually losing their teeth at the highest stage.
    China is the Brazil, while Indonesia and Denmark are similar to Germany and Italy.

ownz.uno likes this.
  15. Micheal8

Micheal8 Regular Member

Any source to back-up your allegation?
    We all known that LCW is having strained relationship with MF, but did LCW ever asked BAM to sack MF?
    Just because you hated LCW, it doesn't mean you can make false allegation against him.

16. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Why do you s
    Why do you say I hate LCW? This is false allegation... So instead of accusing me, look at yourself.
    For LCW and MF, when they had a row LCW said in the media (look at this thread when the events happened) that it was either he leaves of MF leaves. Like CIA said there was other factors in this decision and I accept that, but this row certainly had a big role in it.

visor likes this.
  17. Micheal8

Micheal8 Regular Member

That is the source of your false allegation that "MF was fired because LCW asked so"? I tot you have an URL link to the latest news report or something. LMAO.

Below is the latest news from LCW on his 'retirement' (24-Aug-2017):

KUALA LUMPUR: Still reeling from one of the most shocking defeats in his badminton career, Lee Chong Wei has asked to be given time to take stock of things before deciding on his future.

“I know my coaches (Datuk Misbun Sidek and Hendrawan) did their part. There’s no one to blame but me.

“I wish I had some luck in the World Championships. Sometimes, you need a little bit of that.”

Asked if this could mark the end his illustrious 16-year career with the national team, Chong Wei answered: “It’s difficult to answer this question now. My mind is blank.

“I’ll have to do some soul-searching. I need some time to think about my future after playing like this in Glasgow. I may decide to end it ... or I may continue.

http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/bad...ng-wei-pleads-for-time-to-contemplate-future/

#2497 Micheal8, Oct 5, 2017
  18. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Corporate Worker
    Come on, people already know la. So obvious.

nokh88 likes this.
  19. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    What does LCW have to do with MF leaving? They already stated that it was because of him short of medal target for SEA Games (losing to Thailand), none made it to quarter finals in World Championships and every players doing poorly in Super Series. MF and LCW thing was so yesterday.

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Did you miss it or have you already forgotten this ultimatum he gave BAM 8 months ago?

https://www.google.ca/amp/amp.ibtim...reatens-quit-bam-lashes-out-morten-frost-7306

Fuming, furious Lee Chong Wei threatens to quit BAM, lashes out at Morten Frost2017-02-08 14:06:18 IST

Lee Chong Wei has lashed out at Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) technical director Morten Frost over the latter's reaction to the shuttler's injury that will keep him out of All England Championships 2017.

The world number one suffered a medial collateral ligament (MCL) tear on Saturday when he was training at the newly-opened BAM academy in Bukit Kiara. Chong Wei, who had earlier said that he would wait go on playing till the 2017 Badminton World Championships and then assess his future, said he was irked when Frost asked the shuttler's coach, Hendrawan, whether the latest injury would force the three-time Olympic silver medallist to retire.

Chong Wei also added that he had complained about the slippery nature of the mat at the new court in the academy but that there was no response from either Frost or BAM general manager Lawrence Chew, which according to him has led to his injury. Notably, the upcoming All England tournament was set to host some of the biggest names including Lin Dan and Chen Long but the Malaysian shuttler is frustrated after the latest setback.

"I have lost my patience with Morten. This injury is the last straw. What is even more hurtful was the way Morten handled my injury. Instead of asking about my condition, he asked my coach (Hendrawan) whether I would retire ... why? Doesn't he want me to play on? I am hurt," Chong Wei said, as quoted by The Star.

Not just the recent incident, Chong Wei also said he was not happy with the way Frost has been "mixing sports and politics" in the recent past. He questioned the idea behind the technical director's decision to not allow juniors to spar with seniors. The 34-year-old also added a lot of other players were also keeping quiet but that he lost his patience and is even willing to quit BAM if issues are not resolved.

"Morten does not want me to spar with the juniors ... why? When I was a junior, I sparred with my seniors. He did this even before the Olympic Games," Chong Wei added.

"He [Frost] does not want to listen. Sports and politics should not mix, but I think Morten is doing just that. There are other things too ... involving other players. Everyone is keeping quiet, but not me.

"I have been upset with him for some time, but I did not make a hue and cry because of Hendrawan. Hendrawan kept telling me to be patient and I respected that. Now, I have lost my patience and I am angry ... if there is no solution, I will quit BAM".

#2500 visor, Oct 5, 2017