Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

And as someone has pointed out to me, that's not the only reason for MF to leave before his contract is up.

There's also the lack of performance of the MAS team at the recent SEA games and WC games with unusually poor results. But what BAM and MAS public don't understand is that in one to two years post OG, that's the way it is due to planning to peak at OG. This happens to every single country!

Cheung likes this.
  2. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    In this recent SEA Games, my Malaysian friends were so heart broken when they only managed 1 medal and lost to Thailand, in front of their fans and home crowd. Some actually cried. It would have been easier for the fans if SEA Games weren't on their home soil.

3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

You are beside the point. Have a look at the discussion we had here:
    Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

4. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Sorry for my post, Visor just got a link with similar information

5. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

imagine this year sea games held at Thailand instead of Malaysia, it likely the same scenario...

6. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Corporate Worker
    Heck, it might be even worse. Playing in other country is not good, playing in homeland is even worse.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, sometimes home soil pressure can be too much.

8. Master

Master Regular Member

BAM will not depend on foreign coaches
    October 6, 2017 @ 2:10am

KUALA LUMPUR: Foreign coaches who intend to replace Jeremy Gan and help chief men’s doubles coach Cheah Soon Kit can forget about such plans as BAM will only welcome local coaching expertise.

This was made known by BAM president Datuk Seri Mohamaed Norza Zakaria who stated that Malaysia has local coaching expertise that can coach, guide, and lead the men’s doubles players.

Local coaches are the ones who better understand our players. They also know of the strengths and weaknesses as well as the good and bad of our players."

So for the time being, let us focus on the matter at hand (finding Jeremy’s replacement) first,” he said when met on the sidelines of the signing ceremony between BAM and Daihatsu along with Perodua Malaysia yesterday.

He explained that there are many coaches of calibre as well as Malaysian legends who are willing to come on board with BAM.

Whoever the coach that is hired must deliver on Soon Kit’s Key Performance Index (KPI)."

I admire Yap Kim Hock and Datuk Seri Jalani Sidek who have expressed their willingness to join us to train the national squad."

But as I have said before, the ball is in Soon Kit’s court, as only he can get things moving forward."

He will pick the right coach, and he will speak and hold talks with some of our top former players before making an offer to the right man for the job,” he said.

Norza added that they still have yet to finalize the position of national squad analyst, even though Jalani has expressed his interest in taking up such a post.

Our focus now is to get a men’s doubles coach. For now Soon Kit is working on finding a replacement as soon as possible, and we do not have to wait until Jeremy’s three month notice period is over. I agreed with him on hiring a local coach for the job."

There are 22 players, 11 pairs in the men’s doubles squad and we are also weighing our options if we need to appoint more than one replacement for Jeremy."

What’s most important is the successful candidate must have a good understanding and is able to work well with the national squad,” he said."

Source: https://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/2017/10/287890/bam-will-not-depend-foreign-coaches

Kim Hock keen for smashing return to BAM
    October 4, 2017 @ 1:42pm

KUALA LUMPUR: Former national coach Yap Kim Hock is keen to rejoin BAM if the national body want his expertise.

BAM are looking for a coach to replace Jeremy Gan who has resigned as national men’s doubles coach recently.

The task of looking for Jeremy’s replacement has been given to chief doubles coach Cheah Soon Kit.

And there has been speculation that Soon Kit will rope in his former doubles partner, Kim Hock, who won an Olympic silver medal with him in 1996.

I am interested to work for BAM again. I can rejoin anytime,” said Kim Hock today.

However, it is up to BAM to decide whether they want my services."

I believe I can still help to improve the national men’s doubles team,” added Kim Hock who is now coach of the Petaling Badminton Club.

Kim Hock worked as BAM chief doubles coach from 2004-2008 before training Bukit Jalil Sports School players for four years.

When he was with BAM, Kim Hock and Rexy Mainaky were in charge of Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong who went on to win the Asian Games gold in 2006 and All England crown in 2007.

Source: https://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/2017/10/287213/kim-hock-keen-smashing-return-bam

9. Micheal8

Micheal8 Regular Member

Yeah that right it happened to every singe country, that why post OG, no country was winning the SEA games, WC & SS. Only the martian are winning. LMAO.

The recent winner of SEA Games & WC is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2509 Micheal8, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  10. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... I completely understand your concerns since I'm from MAS myself.

I'm pretty sure that if I look up the definition of choking in Wikipedia, there'll be pictures of some of our MAS players there...

11. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Corporate Worker
    I am sure almost all of MAS players will be there. Choking is the definition of MAS badminton, since the old times.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yap Kim Hock has been touted as a candidate for the men's doubles coaching team.

Good or not good? He used to be Head Coach of BAM. Got good credentials to back him up.

If he does get appointed, the merry go round goes on.

13. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

couldn't agree more on this. Good observation bro..

14. Micheal8

Micheal8 Regular Member

Rio 2 Silver in MD & XD was due to Jeremy Gan or Morten Frost effort??? Who deserved the credit??

KUALA LUMPUR: "I really don't know why he quit," was men's doubles shuttler Goh V Shem's response on the sudden resignation of national doubles coach Jeremy Gan.

On Saturday, Jeremy - best known to have guided V Shem-Tan Wee Kiong to the 2016 Rio Olympics silver medal - tendered his resignation, bringing an end to his 15-year career as a coach with the BA of Malaysia (BAM).

According to V Shem who also rose to No 1 in the world last year, Jeremy played a key role in helping the former Malaysian pair believe in themselves, and the silver medal in Rio was a testament of his coaching ability.

"I just hope that no matter where he goes, he will have a successful coaching stint," added V Shem, who will partner Teo Ee Yi next at the French Open later this month.

It is learnt that Jeremy, 38, would ply his trade elsewhere after receiving offers from foreign countries.

Since becoming coach in 2003, Jeremy was also pivotal in the success of former national mixed doubles duo Chan Peng Soon-Goh Liu Ying.

Jeremy's decision to quit comes as a huge blow for the national body, who recently dealt with the resignation of Morten Frost as technical director.

In the absence of Jeremy, the men's doubles department will be under the guidance of newly promoted head coach Cheah Soon Kit and Rosman Razak.

https://www.nst.com.my/sports/badmi...n-played-key-role-our-success-rio-says-v-shem

15. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Corporate Worker
    In my opinion, Morten Frost is just a supervisor, ensuring everything goes smoothly.
    Jeremy Gan, Wong Pei Ty and Hendrawan should get the credit for 3 silver OG medal for their hardwork.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Making sure everything goes smoothly is a measure of stability which you need for the coaches to concentrate on their job.

If BAM are not careful, their successful coaches will also be poached by other countries.

Or, coaches will view BAM as a stepping stone to get better jobs in other countries.

17. indrg

indrg Regular Member

India is importing lots of coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Korea and Japan have the corporate conglomerates step in to fund the players in companies' clubs.

INA's conglomerate Djarum has 10x more funding than PBSI.

MAS bah nil, Axiata does not want to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stanleyfm, visor and Cheung like this.
  19. lurker

lurker Regular Member

where is Jeremy Gan going? got poached overseas?

20. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Corporate Worker
    Yeah, expectedly. Other countries offer a lot of cash for MAS coaches.