Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The Star Online >
    Sunday November 25, 2012
    Joo-bong sorry for not accepting position as coaching director
    By RAJES PAUL
    KUALA LUMPUR: Doubles legend Park Joo-bong has expressed his regret for declining the job as Malaysia’s national badminton coaching director at the very last minute.
    The Korean multiple Olympic gold medallist, who had been on the verge of accepting the offer, had a change of heart and will continue as Japan’s chief coach for the next four years.
    Joo-bong conveyed his decision to Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) general manager Kenny Goh at the ongoing Hong Kong Open in Kowloon.
    Joo-bong said he gave in to strong persuasion by his friends in Japan, who convinced him to stay on after he had informed them of his intention to move to Malaysia.
    “I’m very sorry. I apologise to BAM for changing my mind after being almost 95% certain that I would join them,” Joo-bong said in a telephone interview.
    “I have been liaising with BAM via email and all my requests were met. Unfortunately, the Japan BA pleaded with me to stay and I couldn’t refuse.
    “It’s been a miserable two weeks as I was torn between the two countries. I wanted to come to Malaysia but I have set so much in place in Japan over the last eight years and made many friends. They didn’t want me to go and I finally agreed to stay.”
    Joo-bong refuted claims that he had changed his mind because of a better offer from Japan BA.
    “It isn’t about who offered me more money. I considered Malaysia in the first place when I found out that Japan BA were going to have their elections and wanted a local chief coach. But the situation has changed.”
    BAM coaching and training chairman Ng Chin Chai said the failure to land Joo-bong was a minor setback.
    “It’s unfortunate but we will now look at other alternatives,” said Chin Chai.
    “We will have to find someone of the same calibre or appoint several project managers to run our programmes.”

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2012/11/25/sports/12368264&sec=sports

2. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

doesn't have any locals to coach MD department? why need the foreigners to coach?
    we might rehire Yap Kim Hock or Cheah Soon Kit...

3. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Now, we are aiming at the RIGHT TARGET after hints (or direct comment) from all the foreign EX-coaches including PJB ... we are in Malaysia, my friend , ... POLITICS in BAM rules the day .... Messrs Yap and Cheah may have ruffled some feathers that make their appointments "impossible" .... ;)

Think about it, singles coach, well, Misbun Sidek was pretty good too, so was Li Mao but again same situation ....

I forsee Malaysia still capable of producing BRILLIANT INDIVIDUAL (one singles player or one doubles partnership every now and then) but not a WHOLE team (3S and 2D) due to politics ....

Just compare against China, South Korea and Japan ... TEAM/COUNTRY COMES FIRST ... even INA is having some "Msian" problem ....

I have been doing a lot of reading on Lin Dan recently, and one thing I noticed is that Lin Dan will always play for his team and country FIRST .... look at all HIS KEY ACHIEVEMENTS - Olympics (country), Thomas Cup (country), Sudirman Cup (country), China Open, China Masters (country as in these are "home" tournaments), World Championship (honour goes to country) ... it seems to PLAY and WIN FOR CHINA is the TOP PRIORITY of all CHN players over their own personal glories ... or at least that is the IMPRESSION I got.

4. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Freelance editor/Aspiring writer (someday) :)
    What I miss the most at the moment is our own MAS WS contender :(

5. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Just wait for the younger generation, they are fast and pretty so worth the waiting, how long? I don't know :D

6. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Freelance editor/Aspiring writer (someday) :)
    Fast and pretty? Oh I see.
    I swear MAS male Bcers somehow got the insiders scoops when it comes to girls :D

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    you mean, on court, of course... :D

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    whether they want to is another matter. And where does that leave Tan Kim Her who was poached from Korea. Presumably he was either doing a good job in Korea or the locals M'sian coaches didn't want to take up a poisoned chalice.

9. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    It has to work both ways if you know what i mean :)

10. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Here is how I see BAM's PLANNING and COACHING problem:

1) Whenever Msia has ONE superstar/individual player eg singles - LCW, all the focus and attention goes to him and BAM (and the rest of Msia) is happy whenever he wins All England, SS Open this and that etc .... and of course, we don't deny that LCW works hard and deserves all the titles etc ... congrats to him.

2) Same thing with MD - KKK&TBH ... if they get around to winning instead of runners-up ...

BUT if I am thinking in terms of BADMINTON MALAYSIA and not badminton LCW or KKK&TBH, then ... I would say, where is my no. 2 and 3 ? Since no. 1 is already SO STRONG, TIME TO FOCUS on no. 2 and no. 3 .... while you contiune to enhance no. 1 ...

So, in TEAM EVENTS, Msia can get 2 POINTS at most .... one each from No. 1 MS and MD ... from what I have heard from kawan-kawan in BAM, the attention towards No. 1 is SO SKEWED that there is NO ATTENTION and FOCUS to grow no. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc ....

Ok, everyone loves a winner ....

BUT MALAYSIA LOSES ... no long term planning and building a consistent stream and pool of players ...

Now, we start to see Chong , Darren etc starting to come through ... and given their OWN TRAINING REGIME instead of just LCW sparring partners .... walau !!

BAM does this ONLY AFTER REALISING that LCW is too old already !!!

Well, if you make a deal with BAM and tell them, for the next 20 years, there will be NO SINGLES or DOUBLES champion in any Super Series BUT Msia will WIN EVERY THOMAS CUP during that time, do you think they will take ... ? :confused:

I know China, Indonesia, South Korea and Japan will ... :p Malaysia, I am not so sure ....

BAM, TIME TO PLACE THE TEAM and COUNTRY BEFORE THE INDIVIDUAL ? :confused:

I think it is better for Malaysia to have World no. 3, 5 and 7 than a world no. 1 MS and MD ... that is the STRATEGY China is taking, make sure at least 3 single players or doubles pair in the top 10 at all times !!!

Question to ALL MALAYSIAN BADMINTON FANS:

Are you OK not to see any more Malaysian singles/doubles champion BUT a Malaysian Thomas Cup championship team all the time ?

#1150 maxout, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  11. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    it starts in the grass root level!

Unless the MAS education dept stays out of the scenario

in talent scouting there isn't any bright future in the years to come :p

12. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

TKH came back from England. He went to Korea then England. From what BCers hv posted England has their own share of politics. TKH also wanted to come back Msia for the kids schooling. Personally, I would have preferred Rexy to stay, too much politic playing aft TKH came back.

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    at the beginning
    i was advising like what u did.
    but honestly,it wont work.
    they only care their own benefit,money and power

14. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Isn't it SAD ... ? :(

A nation that loves the game to bits cannot even put out a decent team to REALLY challenge for the TOP HONOURS just because of the politicians ....

I dare say, almost every single Malaysian has held a badminton racquet ONCE in their life and played by the roadside (at least), that is how pervasive the game is and has taken roots ... and we cannot even put together 7 Men or Women capable of challenging for the Cups .... SAD !!

15. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i am not :(
    i am :mad::mad::mad:

16. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    hmmm... why not try Jose Mourinho or Roberto Di Matteo:D

17. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

I'll vote for Rajagobal. He can came up with an outstanding reason if they lose. U might surprise :D

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    BAM does not need "miracle makers." There is no fancy easy way out like that. The issue has multiple points of weaknesses, and uness the system itself is revamped you won't get consistent results. For starters, take a look at how the Council functions and what it has achieved so far at the local/state levels. Also, the grassroots selection process, as pBm rightly pointed out, is one of the main reasons why you aren't seeing the really deserving and potential kids coming through the system, and staying on.

This search for the Coaching director or whatever is just another high-profile game of smoke-and-mirrors. The real problems may remain masked under the layers of authority (unaccountable) and stagnant bureaucracy (impotent). And that suits the Board just fine.

My 2c...

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well
    i dont want to waste time to write any suggestion anymore.;)
    which i basically give up on bam:p

20. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    But don't give up on Ubah! Use the toilet cleaner and flush out all the bureaucratic impotents and 'tidak boleh's, use the toilet brush and scrape off all those clinging to power for the sake of - power also.