Juliane Schenk

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by cobalt, Jul 23, 2012.

1. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

We are starting to see another consistent player in the WS. This is very good news.
    2 Final and 2 semi so far in the last 3 tournaments is something new for Juliane.

WY was quite hesitant in her movement yesterday especially near the net, probably worried about flaring up the knee. Anyway Juliane played a very good tactical game, let hope she goes all the way.

2. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

4 results from 3 tournaments is always a positive sign ^^

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Juliane Schenk is regarded as CHN WS no.1 threat now as reported in the Chinese press. Just found out she had a Chinese coach , Wang Xuyan, as revealed by the German Head Coach Jacob, who claimed Schenk's resurgence is attributed to that Chinese coach.

It was revealed that Wang Xuyan chiefly focused on developing Schenk's speed and power, without elaborating, of course, except to say she often trains with two sparring partners simultaneously. In fitness and stamina, Schenk is unmatched.

In fact,just before the Olympics, Li Yongbo has counted Juliane Schenk and Saina Nehwal as their two main contenders. Post-OG, it proves to be more so, esp Schenk who so far has beaten six CHN WS, namely, LXR, Jiang YJ,Liu Xin,Chen Xiaojia,Wang Lin and WYH.

4. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    JS played so well yesterday...her speed on court had improved tremendously

5. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

Xuyan Wang is known for being responsible for German WS since 2008. Although I don't doubt that he might contributed to Schenk's progress, it also has to be mentioned that Schenk is known for doing things her way on a lot of occasions without the support of the German Badminton association.

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Plus "Head Coach Jakob" has already left after the Olympics so how old exactly is that article?? Also this WS coach has been in Germany for about 25 years now so it's not like it's a fresh import or anything ... and not to forget he will be the MS coach from now on after the coaching carousel has finally ended.

#46 demolidor, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  7. kateean2

kateean2 Regular Member

teacher
    I love them.

8. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    http://www.sportskeeda.com/2012/11/...ina-has-a-special-spirit/?ref=more-from-sport

World No. 4 Juliane Schenk was looking cool and relaxed in the stands after her first-round victory over the potentially-dangerous Tai Tzu Ying of Taipei. Schenk stands out in badminton — she is probably the most forthright of all players, and expresses herself fully – whether it’s her disappointment with her national association, her opinion about her own form, or about other players in the circuit. A friendly sort as well, she greets me warmly, and readily agrees to an interview.
    Excerpts:You beat world No. 1 Wang Yihan last week at the China Open… you’re beating the Chinese consistently now. Is it the approach?Yes, it’s simply about enjoying, right? Of course it’s always special as Yihan was on home soil. But previous tournaments have been good for me and I try to go my way. I’ve proved in the past that I can beat them. To make it consistent is great to see. There’s no special secret to it.

You’ve shown the path to other women’s singles players?
    I think so. In ladies singles there’s such a huge y of players. And what counts is the daily performance, right? You always have to be on top of your game, and your mental strength. And whatever counts to be on top, and it makes it quite interesting, whether it’s the Japanese or Indians or me or Tine (Baun), whoever is chasing the Chinese, it’s great for the game.

You lost to Saina twice in recent weeks…is there a mental block?
    I don’t think it’s a problem, but she played really well in both matches, and the first game was the decider for the whole match. You can see the boost of confidence you get from winning the first set. But never mind…the spirit she’s going on court is really really special, and the thing that’s really top class. I think they (Saina and Ratchanok Intanon) have a different spirit than the Chinese have. And that’s the deciding point right now, and that’s why they’re the same league. And I tend to the same spirit as they have, than to the Chinese. Saina and Ratchanok are really carried on by a special spirit, in my opinion.

With some exciting young players from Japan and Thailand coming up, is women’s singles becoming more open?
    Exactly. I think so. It has been proven in the past that it’s already open, but the more open it gets, the better. The last few years have seen different players from different countries, so it’s perfect.

How difficult was it for you to overcome the disappointment of the Olympics?
    To be honest, it was a tough time for me, and I’m glad to be who I am on court, and to find myself again. I had a big helping hand from my mental coach, and she gave me back what I have now again, the spirit, and my belief. But you see at some point with some (difficult) emotions, you need help. You even contemplated retirement after losing in the group stage.

What new goals have you set for yourself?
    I will just continue playing. The Superseries Finals this year is a goal. And I need to see what different goals I have to set, and what kind of partnership it’s going to be with the association. But right now I’m glad to be here and to be healthy and to perform like this.

What does it mean to be a player on the elite circuit?
    It’s always a pleasure, right? To be in touch with different cultures and different people. I always love this part of the sport.

Do you feel a bit bitter that you are not as well known as the tennis players, despite all the hard work?
    Yeah, but I think but we are on a good track. Nevertheless, you always have to work for things… the duties which the BWF has, because there are so many talented players, and it’s a fantastic sport, in my opinion. The sport deserves a lot of attention. I hope we can do better in future.

#48 depleter, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Juliane is strong both physically as well as mentally. Whenever you find a different spirit suppressing the thought of the age and problems behind , you will definitely perform better. Mental strength is very important.

Juliane is the only coach who have a separate mental coach.:)

There is an article about juliane which is interesting and enthusiastic to all other players.:)

"http://www.badzine.net/features/juliane-schenk-the-wisdom-age/22445/"

Excerpts:

“I simply love sport, no matter which sport it is,”

“From deep in my heart, I have always loved sport and I think that is the biggest motivation for me.”

“She(Camilla martin) was the only one from the Europeans who was really chasing the Chinese and challenging them, and that was quite amazing for me. I really liked to watch her play,”

Excellent Juliane.. Without any coach, without backup from German Badminton association, the way you are fighting is really amazing. I wish you all the very best in your future tornaments.. :)

#49 scorpion1, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Juliane's golden period continues....

It's been a phenomenal period for Juliane Schenk ever since the OG, and her amazing run shows no sign of abating.

Just yesterday, Juliane was the central figure in Germany's shock win over Denmark in the European Team Championships 2013. She won her singles mach handily and then teamed up with Birgit Michels to win the women's doubles as well!

This shows the depth of self-belief and willingness to do whatever is required for the team. I cannot recall an equivalent event in recent years where a top WS player (BWF top-5 seeded, no less!) scratch-paired with another player for the finals of a Championships tournament!

Juliane continues to shock, and amaze, and leave so many fans in complete awe. Germany's title win is completely built on her spirit.

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    The soldier marches into the IBL - as a General, maybe?

Juliane has confirmed participation at the inaugural season of the IBL, where she will likely be one of the star attractions in WS --- and WD as well, if she has her way! :D

Her long-time (ex-) adversary and friend Tine Baun will also be joining her, according to the report.

http://news.yahoo.com/schenk-baun-kuncoro-confirm-participation-ibl-140214018.html

12. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

She has always shown spirit just all her unforced errors kept her down until recently. Hope she builds more confidence on this.

Denmark losing to Germany. Even I am feeling the shock. I cant imagine how the Denmark fans are taking it.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes,Juliane Schenk is amazing,like wine that gets better with age. We'll see her in Rio OG 2016.

14. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

oh please, spare us the thought.
    with old boys like LCW, Cai Yun et al not declaring their retirement yet.

Rio 2016 looks more and more like a veterans tournament!

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well,these old boys and girls may not be retiring yet and possibly aiming for the next Olympics but, on the other hand, they may not win any medal,let alone gold, with the possible exception of Lin Dan and just maybe Lee CW (sorry for sounding a bit far-fetched). Don't forget, the Danish Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen was the Olympic gold medallist at 31 and the Evergreen Peter Gade was still trying at age 35; also Zhang Ning at 32,twice gold medallist.

Julian's problem used to be her temperament, in my humble opinion, but she seemed to be handling it better lately, more self-controlled and steady than before. That coupled with her superb fitness, physicality and mental toughness make her a fairly formidable opponent for any WS, despite her age at 30, and considering European women are generally stronger in constitution than Asian women on average, the more so bearing in mind she is a soldier as well. This matters significantly nowadays because women's singles badminton is becoming more and more physically demanding and athletic like the men's singles in the way they play.

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Actually, London 2012 was more the vet's party...

2016 is still too far away to call it anything yet... besides, the weather, and, er, the atmosphere in Rio will make a 34-year-old move like a 25-year-old ;) :p

17. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Spare us the thought? Who wouldn't want a nice mix of experienced veterans and challenging youngsters? Nobody gets a free pass into the Olympics anyway. If she is still playing by then, she must qualify like everyone else.

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Juliane Schenk has never won the German Open WS title. She's been the runner-up on a couple of occasions, but this is home ground, and surely she'd love to correct that record.

This year she probably has the best opportunity to win the title. She's in the form of her life; her confidence is wayyyyyy up, she has become totally formidable in all departments, and she's already through to the semi-finals without as much as breaking a sweat. Two more matches to complete, and the title is hers. A fairytale that continues for this immense competitor!

19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Someone had to lose the title match, and Wang Yihan did not - she was just too good for a Juliane Schenk whose mojo appeared to have deserted her on the final day.

But Juliane is still gracious and admiring in defeat. Her post-match interview:

[video=youtube;9aZ5T4nzTFA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aZ5T4nzTFA[/video]

20. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

Just watched Juliane's match against Inthanon and I have to say that something's clearly wrong with her attitude at the moment. It seems as if she plays deliberately bad in the face of a possible loss. Don't like it. It was the same at the German Open final against WYH.