Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Kento Momota (桃田賢斗)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by zimmerman, Nov 12, 2012.

1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Is Gabriel really any good? There's one tournament software result from a while back now, that really alarmed me :p

On topic: Kento has a few challenges this week, Hurskainen, Eric Pang and Brice Leverdez are all capable of playing to a high standard, all are experienced players, and used to the European style. Kento has a chance no doubt here, but he has to take all matches seriously. His first round opponent isn't a pushover either.

2. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    I watched him play earlier against Kim Bruun. He played very relaxed in the first game, but in the second game he made more mistakes and Kim Bruun played better than in the first game.

21-13 and 23-21 to Momota.

Afterwards I asked if I could take a picture with Momota. They told me they had a TV interview and since they had no one to interpret, they asked me to do it :rolleyes:
    It was quite sudden so both my Swedish and Japanese went haywire, but it went OK, haha.

484811_10151237309347895_1139786529_n.jpg

During the interview, Momota said that he wasn't able to concentrate too well and had to focus on trying to make as few errors as possible. Also, he thinks that the game against Hurskainen will be tough as he's not used to play against left handers.

Going there tonight again to see the game against Hurskainen. Should be interesting!

3. Heong

Heong Regular Member

He is very very good. Very great footwork, speed and consistency

Definitely a talented player, Japan is very lucky to have him and its very rare to have players like this. If Japan can really push and nurture him well, he will be the real threat in a few years time

4. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

dou you know where the interview can be seen?

5. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Swedish channel SVT2 at 10pm.
    The interview was quite basic though.

6. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Momota beat Hurskainen in a 3-set game today.
    They played very well both of them, but Momota got the best of Hurskainen in the third set.
    During the second game there were a few bad line calls towards Momota though.

In tomorrows quarter finals, he will face fifth seed Vladmir Malkolv, 5th seed and ranked 66th in the world.

24462_10151237849582895_1434505533_n.jpg

#46 Wingu, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  7. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Momota won against Eric Pang 21-9 16-21, 21-18 in the finals, making Swedish International his
    first win at an international tournament as a "senior".

8. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

He won last week as well, it's his second win :)

9. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Sorry, my bad :D Estonia was his first, Swedish being his second!

10. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

can the MS final (momota vs. pang) be re-watched somewhere? i know it was streamed via badminton-tv.nu but there seems not to be a version which can be re-watched. or maybe i'm just dumb :)

11. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

by the way, kento was world #89 before his win at the estonian international. after winnig estonian he rose to #78. after winning swedish international today he will be around #64. we will see on thursday - when the new ranking is released - if i calculated correctly :)

12. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

[​IMG], I did capture the whole match but the sound was quite poor so it will be better anyway to wait for the upcoming version.

In the meanwhile, and while I'm also figuring out how to upload the whole Estonia match video without Youtube butchering the audio, here is a little clip of the Estonian International including price ceremony which was held outside of the match camera's field of view:

[video=youtube;9YRgdXSFusY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YRgdXSFusY[/video]

#53 demolidor, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  14. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

15. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

^ Most likely he flew back, he's entered into the German Open the following week as well :)

Edit: looking at both tournaments M&Q, I think realistically Kento should be aiming for (depending on his draw) SF/F in Austria and R32/16 in Germany.

In Austria, there is a lot of good players such as Tien Chen Chou and Yan Kit Chan, but his main competitor will be Sakai his team mate, who has the potential to really progress this year into the top 20.

Germany is difficult as well, depending on his draw I think he has a chance of winning his first match as long as it isn't against a seeded opponent. :)

#55 LD rules!, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  16. samuelkirk05

samuelkirk05 Regular Member

Student
  17. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Yes, he was. He was coaching Kento during Swedish International. The women on the other hand had some older guy from Panasonic who coached them.

#57 Wingu, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  18. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

he did it again. 15th win in a row. he just won austrian international with a comfortable 21-19, 21-12 against his countrymate TAKESHITA.
    right now he is #62 in the bwf world ranking. after this win he will be about #56.

what really matters will be his performance at german open, because he will be able to make even more points there :) he is in the MD and will face a qualifier.

19. zimmerman

zimmerman Regular Member

3rd title in a row! His season has started off a lot better than I thought it would. His rise in the rankings will allow him to enter the main draws of bigger tournaments and play better opponents. I hope he's not too tired for the German Open.

20. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

damn he is out in 2nd round of german open vs. chinese player BEN QIAO (16-21, 18-21). QIAO seems to be decent. i think he can go even further in the draw.