Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Kento Momota (桃田賢斗)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by zimmerman, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Any international competition requires the player to have the permission of their national association because the NA holds the player registration with BWF.

There some players, more the Europeans, who are campaigning against this.

I was more wondering if Momota could qualify on points, pay for all his fees himself would NBA allow him to play? It doesn't seem to be the case.

2. kurako

kurako Regular Member

BWF General Competitions Regulations

5. ON LINE ENTRIES AND CONTROL OF ENTRIES
    5.1 Procedure for sending entries:
    5.1.1 For all tournaments requiring the BWF sanction, an entry of player/pair must be made by the Member Association of which the player/pair is a member....

9. JURISDICTION
    9.1 A player comes under the jurisdiction of all Member Associations to which the player is directly or indirectly affiliated.

How can Momota enter any SS without NBA approval when the above BWF provisions are in place? Also, it is highly conceivable that national regulations vis-a-vis entry to SS tournaments vary from country to country,which might explain your Indonesian example.

Please credit Momota with some intelligence. His goal is gold at the Tokyo Olympics, and for that it is imperative that he works within the framework, and has the support of the NBA. The alternative is unpalatable. Just look at Tago.

Quentin11 and nilesh123 like this.
  3. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

Wao! I seriously didn't know this ridiculous, stupid, discriminating and degrading rules existed! Omg, this is an outright violation to the rights of a player

Sundis likes this.
  4. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

why is it a violation to the rights of a player?
    whose tournament is it to set any rule?
    what are the rights of a player?

5. ibelieveindevil

If a player is not in good terms with the badminton federation of his country, he can be denied outright for participating in a tournament, isn't that an outright violation to his rights?

6. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

hmmmmm as long as international badminton still emphasize the role of nation and that a player is 'obliged' to represent its country in the game, I think somehow it is still okay because then the rights is actually given by the country to the player to represent that country.
    That may not be the case if badminton does not emphasize nationality at all.

Well, I am not a sport ethics expert though

7. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    simple analogy: is it a violation of your rights for being denied entry into the world cup futbol tournament?

stanleyfm likes this.
  8. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

How come Indonesia has allowed so many independent Indonesian players to play in the SS? For example, Sony Kuncoro was an independent player. If Sony prevented another Indonesian national teamplayer from entering the SS, wouldn't it be in the interest of the Indonesian national team to block Sony?

Also, isn't Brice Leverdez independent? So the French badminton federation is also giving Brice permission to participate as an independent?

#1268 galaxyduo, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  9. Abu Tanki

Abu Tanki Regular Member

Student
    This is what I've been wondering.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

10. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

That's certainly a very interesting point.

11. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Yeah good point on Brice Leverdez. I'd like to get an explanation on that.

But then maybe France and Japan are very different in terms of compliance with such regulations, I don't know.

12. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Yes they are, the main difference is on the regulations within the NA itself. Indonesia does not have policy that if you are not in the national team, you can't participate in BWF tournament, any kind of tournament.

For Indonesia, being self financed to participate is almost impossible though if you are not at the top level. So PBSI most probably will not care with this, because there is not many player that can register as their will. Some will register here in there in tournaments in SEA, but mainly that's it.

Don't know about Brice though, but of course yes, he is being allowed and registered by France NA in tournaments.

The key point is 'there are different norm and morale value between nations, especially when you are representing the honour of a nation'. And that is what I would say what is hold by the Japanese. Even if you remember what Momota said in his interview after the Belgium IC, he said that he will work to regain his honour. That would mean that he himself accept that actually he had embarrased his nation and his nation is 'in despise' with him (the word despise may be too strong though). As the NA, would you allow someone who is actually against your morale value or actually is at a very bad reputation to represent your nation in the international stage? I would say no. This should be how we see Momota's case.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The policy varies from country to country.

14. Master

Master Regular Member

The prohibition of independent players participation isn't because of the independent player's participation prevented another national team's member entering SS.

Rules made applied by purpose, and local BA would have the proper answer to the question why BA prohibited independent players.
    You may notice some kind of this prohibition applied in Korea, China, and recently also Malaysia.

@Abu Tanki @Quentin11
    Why other countries giving permission? They have their own perspectives. You cannot saying why JPN didn't let their independent players playing in SS while INA or FRA didn't have a problem with their independent players joining SS. INA and FRA have their own decision and they have no rules that made the independent players joining SS tournaments so far. We don't know about the future, they could be applying those prohibition if they think its needed by time.

Once prohibition applied always have some advantages and also disadvantages. But regarding human rights or independent players rights in joining SS tournament, they couldn't live at all circumstances and saying on behalf their rights and stating the rules violating their rights.
    There is always the bigger purpose should be known by them. The country is bigger that him/herself.

15. ibelieveindevil

I dont get it? My rights for world cup? Well, let's sai i am a player, i am not with good terms with the country, i dont participate in world cup. That doesn't deny my rights to play in EPL, laliga or seria A. That doesn't prevent me from playing champion league

16. ibelieveindevil

The thing is participating in SS tournaments form a huge part in the income and the ranking points of a player. I can understand if the badminton association can prevent participation in continental championship, WC, olympics , thomas & uber cup, surdiman cup, as these require a player to represent the country.

Badminton, unlike football and other competition, taking away SS tournaments essentially ends all avenues of a player to be away from the badminton association

17. renbo

renbo Regular Member

BWF constituents are the National Organizations. So of course they state that they decide who take part in their own league. And some NA sees this as a control tool towards their players. In exchange for providing a life inside the NA, they ask for obedience and representation by the players at tourneys.
    Though badminton on paper is an individual sport, it is actually practiced as a team sports by the BWF, played by nation against nation.

18. renbo

renbo Regular Member

To me, this is ill conceived. Sports should be like education. The country encourage it because it is the commonwealth. Sports can be good for health, good for the spirit. Saying that the country provides facility and thus the players have to be controlled by NA is like saying the country provides education so student should take the job the government give to them. In some countries (communist), that is so, but why our sports is to be managed like a communist country? Anyway, there is no much we can do about it and I suppose the fans enjoy the nationalist context of our sport.

19. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    ok, let's try this...
    1. explain to me what you think your rights are as a player in any sport,
    2. explain to me what you think any team is obligated to let you do,
    3. explain to me what you think a sports league/federation is obligated to let you do.
    your answer should tell you all you need to know.

#1279 samkool, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  20. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    badminton players cannot afford to be independent, like tennis & golf players. add it up, you'll see.