Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Kento Momota (桃田賢斗)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by zimmerman, Nov 12, 2012.

1. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Japan's domestic ranking table, which is revised once a month, was posted on the NBA website today, and Momota has moved up one slot to third place. (Incidentally, he was placed at No. 11 when his suspension was lifted in mid-May.) As of today, the top ten MS are:

1. SAKAI Kazumasa (National A)
    2. NISHIMOTO Kenta (National A)
    3. MOMOTA Kento (-)
    4. UEDA Takuma (National A)
    5. TSUNEYAMA Kanta (National B)
    6. TAKESHITA Riichi (National B)
    7. ONODERA Yusuke (National B)
    8. IGARASHI Yu (National A)
    9. MARUO Ryotaro (-)
    10. SHIMONO Hashiru (National B)

Cheung likes this.
  2. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Wasn't Tsuneyama 1st? Around the time he played Momota at the Canadian Open? I thought I heard that information from the commentor.

Anyway, does the ranking work the same way as BWF, which I understand is based on consistency?

I've only watched Sakai play Momota in the All Japan Members Championship and he was not impressive at all. But maybe he is more consistent than the others. Except Momota lately.

3. Master

Master Regular Member

[​IMG] (click)
    National Ranking is something different. Kasumasa Sakai still No.1 in JPN National Ranking, as before I also posting it here.

Kanta Tsuneyama have the highest JPN MS rank in BWF ranking ---> JPN MS BWF Ranking

Quentin11 likes this.
  4. kurako

kurako Regular Member

As of 2017, Tsuneyama has wavered between 4th and 6th place; he has never been higher than 4th.

I have not read up on the BWF ranking criteria, so I cannot compare, but the NBA bases ranks on scores earned both in national competitions (and here it looks at the results of not only the current year, but also the preceding year) and international tournaments.

In more detail, if we look at the current table, the domestic competitions that are used for calculating ranks are:
    - Japan Ranking Circuit 2017 (maximum 600 points)
    - All Japan Championships 2016 (maximum 1000 points)
    - All Japan Members/All Japan Inter-collegiate/All Japan Junior Championships 2016 (maximum 400 points)

And, 50% of the maximum points in the same competitions as above for results earned in in the previous year, i.e., 2016, 2015 and 2015, respectively.

As far as results of international tournaments are concerned, there are two categories to take into account:
    1. Results over the previous 52 weeks: Here the allocation of points depends on the level of the tournament that the player participated in, i.e., 1st place in an SS is worth 2000 points, whilst the same place in an IC is only worth 270 points.
    2. Results over the previous 104 weeks (50% of the maximum points above).

If we consider the previous 104 weeks, then Momota still tops the international ranking category due to his achievements in late 2015 to early 2016. However category "1." (previous 52 weeks), shows rather less dazzling figures. Whilst Momota may have won both the Belgian and Czech ICs, he will have only earned 270 points x 2 through these. By contrast, Sakai earned more (680 points) for being placed 8th in the Korean Open (SS).

The only way forward for Momota is to get back onto National Team A. And, this will be determined by the All Japan Championships which commence at the end of next month.

Cheung, samkool and Master like this.
  5. Master

Master Regular Member

@kurako

Is your summary above describe in this document ? ---> https://www.badminton.or.jp/ranking/2017/ranking20171001os.pdf
    Is "1:270" meaning finished in 1st place and got 270 points ?
    How about 52 Weeks Top 3 which is divided into 3 columns : 52-1, 52-2, 52-3 ?
    Is 所属大会 the same with All Japan Members Championships?

Thanks, for that explanation I got a whole picture about "How to calculate JPN Ranking Points"

Momota's National Ranking Points : 600 + 380 + 270 + 500 + 1050 = 2800 points
    1. 600 : 1st place at Japan Ranking Circuit 2017
    2. 380 : 2nd place at Canada Open (GP) 2017
    3. 270 : 1st place at Czech Open (IC) 2017
    4. 500 : 50% x 1000 (1st place at All Japan Championships 2015)
    5. 1050 : 50% x 2100 (1st place at Dubai SS Finals 2015).

6. kurako

kurako Regular Member

@Master

1. Yes, that is the link that explains the international tournament points.
    2. Yes, 1st place with 270 points.
    3. I was confused about this, too, but just looking at "52 weeks Top 3 now", I believe that it marks the three top point earning events. As far as Momota is concerned, in 2017, it would be the Canada Open (2:380), and the two ICs. I just also noted now that 0 points are allocated to IS tournaments (i.e., the K&D Graphics is marked down as "1:0").
    4. Yes, at least as far as Momota is concerned. 所属大会 is roughly translated as Affiliation Tournament. As Momota is an employee (社会人), he took part in the All Japan Members Championships (全日本社会人バドミントン選手権大会). University students might, instead, choose to take part in the All-Japan Inter-collegiate Championships, and High School pupils, in the All Japan Junior Championships for the same number of points.

This forum is proving fairly educational for me!!

Master and Quentin11 like this.
  7. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Momota has been entered for the Macau Open GP Gold (November 7-12), where he will be starting from the main draw. Tsuneyama Kanta, Igarashi Yu, Watanabe Koki, Takeshita Riichi, Shimono Hashiru, Onodera Yusuke, Naraoka Kodai, and Yamazaki Naoki will be joining him. This is going to be interesting.

Aventus, Quentin11 and BeeKi like this.
  8. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I am proud of myself to predict all of the tournaments that he would join up till now hahahaa

Quentin11 likes this.
  9. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

First of all, thank you for your efforts. @Master as well. It's been very enlightening.
    If I understood you correctly, the first column designates the Ranking Circuit, the second the All Japan (which is at the the end of the year, iirc) and the third the All Members, which was held at the beginning of september. If this is correct, why is the 2017 All Members not included in the new october edition of the table?

10. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Again, I am not 100% sure, and was wondering about this. But please note that this "Affiliation Tournament" column comprises not only, 1) the All Japan Members, but also 2) the All Japan Inter-collegiate and 3) All Japan Junior Championships. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that the NBA may be waiting for 2) the Inter-collegiate Championship to be held in late October before calculating the points for 2017.

Just now checking the 2016 domestic ranking tables, I note that the "Affiliation Tournament "points were revised in November 2016, which confirms the above assumption.

11. Master

Master Regular Member

@kurako

When I checked again, they are 2 grades point for the same international level IS & IS2, IC & IC2, GP & GP2, GG & GG2, SS & SS2 PS & PS2, BW & BW2 (it seems the previous year got a bit higher than the current year points).

For IS level, IS achievement for the previous year got points and IS achievement for the current year didn't get points.
    IS2 giving no points
    IS giving points

My prediction is Momota have a chance to be JPN No.2 next month when the new JPN rank will be released (5th November).

• With assumption, Momota won Dutch GP. He will get 480 conversion points and this 480 points replacing his 270 points.
    480 - 270 = 210 points

• With 2017 All Japan Members Championships points included in JPN National Rank, he will get 400 points.

So the result, his overall ranking points will be 2800 + 210 + 400 = 3410 points. This points enough to make Momota be No.2 in JPN rank. This will make the possibility for Momota become JPN No.1 bigger. If something not expected happened at 71st All Japan Championships, e.g Momota finish as semifinalist, it enough to make Momota as JPN No.1 [3410 + 700 points (semifinalist in All Japan Champ's) = 4110 point].

kurako likes this.
  12. kurako

kurako Regular Member

@Master

I just now managed to locate the Regulations pertaining to the NBA's Rankings: https://www.badminton.or.jp/ranking/kitei/201701point.pdf (Japanese only). You are right; there was a revision in January 2017 (the first in seven years), and not only do IS competitions no longer count with respect to domestic rankings, all the other international tournaments also carry fewer points than was previously the case.

Important:
    1. Points from a maximum of three tournaments (domestic/international) over one year, and six tournaments over a two-year span are the subject of calculation. (Points earned in tournaments in weeks 1~52 are valued at 100%, and those in weeks 53~104, at 50%, i.e., they depreciate by half.)
    2. Vis-à-vis international tournaments, points earned in a maximum of two tournaments over the previous 52-week period can be calculated into the ranking score, but only one tournament can be used from the 53~104-week period.

If Momota wins the Dutch Open (do you honestly think he has a chance? I really hope so!), in November's ranking score-sheet he will have earned:
    1) Japan Ranking Circuit <2017>: 600 points
    2) All Japan Members <2017>: 400 points
    3) Two top-scoring international tournaments <previous 52 weeks>: Dutch Open (??): 480 points + Canada Open: 380 points
    4) All Japan Championships <2015>: 1000 points x 50% = 500 points
    5) One top-scoring international tournament <previous 104 weeks> 2100 points x 50% =1050 points

Unfortunately, he can only use the points of the three top-scoring tournaments (domestic/international) in the previous one-year period...hence, out goes the Canadian Open.

Total score of the above (minus the Canadian Open) = 3030 points

Conversely, if he does not advance particularly far in the Dutch Open, Momota will be using his Canada Open score instead, and his ranking points will be 2930.

Of course, this does not look too bad. But even so, Momota will probably want to win the All Japan Championships in December 2017 (and thus earn 1000 points). It will secure his place on the team, and that aside, he is going to lose his 500 points (1000 points x 50%) for the 2015 All Japan Championships in January 2018, once the 104-week validity period elapses.

#1292 kurako, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  13. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Is this one come from the SSF 2015, or India SS 2016?

14. kurako

kurako Regular Member

It is the former, the 2015 BWF Super Series Masters Finals at Dubai.

Which, of course means that this score is going to elapse no later than January 2018, too.

After that, Momota can still count on the India SS for three months or so, though (2000 points x 50% = 1000 points) ... when that lapses in April or May 2018, there is nothing to follow in the 104-week point category, either at the international or domestic level.

Momota will be relying entirely on points earned in the previous 52 weeks, and will probably slump in the domestic rankings. All the more imperative that he can make it onto the national team and into SS tournaments again.

15. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I see. So if he can't get into the first team this year, it will not only make him not be able to go back to BWF top tiers next year,
    but it will also actually hinder his career even in the year after next year.
    Then the All Japan Championship must be very very very important for him.

Allow me to predict his national ranking points by January, with the assumption the he will win the AJC at the end of November.

1) All Japan Championships <2017 / if won>: 1000 points
    2) Japan Ranking Circuit <2017>: 600 points
    3) One top-scoring international tournament <previous 104 weeks> 2000 points x 50% =1000 points (India SS 2016)

4) One more tournament in 2017 which will be either
    All Japan Members <2017>: 400 points

Dutch Open GP (if won): 480 points
    Macau Open GPG (if won): ??? points (not likely that he will win though I think)

The total will still be around 3000, not bad at all.
    If he really wins the AJC, he will at least guaranted about similar points as he currently has.
    Hope this pressure does not break him later during the tournament though.
    But this surely will make his mental strong as a diamond if he really get pass through.

Aventus and kurako like this.
  16. Master

Master Regular Member

Let's see some strong contenders for Macau GPG (Momota have ever lost before, at least 1 time) :
    1. Wei Nan : H2H 7-1
    2. Hu Yun : H2H 6-3
    3. Wong Wing Ki Vincent : H2H 1-1
    4. Takuma Ueda : H2H 0-1
    5. Kenta Tsuneyama : H2H 0-1
    6. Riichi Takeshita : H2H 3-1
    7. Zulfadli Zulkifli : H2H 1-2
    Chong Wei Feng : H2H 1-1

9. Hsueh Hsuan Yi : H2H 0-1

Another strong contenders without any previous meetings :
    1. Lee Hyun Ill
    2. Zhao Junpeng (2014 WJC & AJC Bronze medalist)
    3. Sun Feixiang (2016 WJC & AJC Gold medalist)

17. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

I don't get it. Momota has to win the All Japan Championships to get a place on the national team? What if he comes in 2nd place or loses in the semi-finals of the ALl Japan Championships?

Why can't they give him a spot on the National B team if he wins the GP tournaments and has a good international ranking by the end of the year? At least on the National B team, Momota can qualify for SS if there are open spots (to my understanding, he can't participate in any SS unless he is on the national team).

It makes no sense to deny Momota a spot on the national team, even the national B team, if Momota has a poor performance at the All Japan Championships (ie. what if he gets injured before the tournament) but Momota has a good world ranking (for only being allowed to play GP events).

The Japanese badminton federation is weird. In other countries, somebody as talented and as accomplished as Momota, especially at Momota's age would receive first class treatment on his/her return to the national team. I mean, if LD lost all his ranking points and had to start from scratch, the Chinese national team would be more than happy to open a spot for him. Same thing with Malaysia for LCW.

Aventus likes this.
  18. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

See, I don't understand why can't Momota get a spot on the National B team if he has a poor performance at the All Japan Championship. From what I understand, National B team players can qualify for the SS if there is a open spot for them. I'm pretty sure once Momota gets his foot in a SS tournament, he will outperform all the other Japanese players easily.

19. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Considering his gambling issue and the Japanese culture, it is important that he earns his own chances with no favours. I’m pretty sure that if he wins the olympics he’ll still have to give contrite speeches and denounce his previous lifestyle.

20. kurako

kurako Regular Member

According to the selection criteria, Momota will get a place on National Team A if, 1) he places first OR second in the All Japan Championships, 2) his domestic ranking is number one after the All Japan Championships, or 3) he is recommended for the team by the NBA's National Team Performance Division. NB. A maximum of only four players can be selected.

With regard to National Team B, members simply need to be recommended by the NBA's National Team Performance Division. A maximum of six players can be selected.

SS tournaments are, in principle, only open to National Team A members. However, National Team B members may participate where approval has been given by the National Team Performance Division.

#1300 kurako, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Aventus and galaxyduo like this.