KNEE INJURY

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by GEORGE C, Jun 4, 2017.

1. GEORGE C

GEORGE C New Member

I had a knee injury.MCL.Happened 3 months back.Not playing now.Not cured completely.Physiotherapy completed.Managing with knee caps and rest/exercises.Not completely stabilised.Can anybody help?

2. white91

white91 Regular Member

Without putting a massive downer on this, I did that exact same thing 6 yrs ago, and its never been right since! I would suggest leg stability exercises and cycling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GEORGE C likes this.
  3. GEORGE C

GEORGE C New Member

thank you very much.Will you please explain how you had been cured completely.Waiting to hear,

4. white91

white91 Regular Member

That's my point I am not cured. All you can do is look at some stability work to minimise the chance of a reoccurrence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. drowsysmurf

drowsysmurf Regular Member

Make ppl happy O_O
    ACL grade 3 (complete tear - replaced), LCL and MCL (around Grade 1 and 2 respectively if I remember correctly) Meniscus Tear (left leg, 2009). My physio is a bit more intense than this: http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/knee-pain/injury-knee-pain-16/slideshow-knee-exercises , but that's the basic idea. In terms of stability, I have not felt unstable in a few years (first year, I felt a bit, but kept on exercising), although I still wear a knee brace to start off on more intense games (only to typically take it off after the first game). As long as you strengthen your upper and lower muscles to stabilize the knee, along with having the right technique, you should not be having more issues. That said, I don't jump smash much anymore (it was probably the incorrect landing on my jump smash that caused my injury). Keep strengthening those muscles.

In short, 3 months is actually quite short to regain as close to original as possible. I was probably around 60-70% feeling wise at 3months and 80% at 6-9months. While the physio is completed, you need to keep at it to build more strength. I never stopped playing even during, but that's because I am stubborn (hindsight, I should have and am glad you are), but I did make it a point to not run and kept my metal brace on during that time (wore this kind of metal brace until 6 months after physio - for a reminder to not over exert myself: https://www.emergencysafetysupply.c...race/?utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_source=bc). If I were to gauge my current, I would say I am 90%+ recovered. Like white91 mentioned, it will never be 100%, but you should be able to get back if you work at strengthening those muscles.

Cheung likes this.
  6. bbmars

bbmars Regular Member

Technical offier
    Perhaps, if you try hard enough and persistence in getting yourself up, I mean not over stretching... just work on your fitness and get you legs back. 3 months is a possible time frame. You have to be determined. I had ACL gone without surgery....before my MRI scan, I was still up and playing badminton, cycling despite all the pain and swell in my left knee.

When the MRI report was out, I was shocked and chickened out. Didn't know what to do, Hesitated for few weeks decided not to go for surgery (insurance covered). During this time, I was already working on my feet, work hard to regain my fitness. However, my confident in executing what I used to do in my game was totally gone.

I was already on a rehabilitation program pending my MRI result. Need to decide whether to go for ACL surgery. MRI scan result took 2 weeks. All in, from the time I started visiting the sport doctor, after 10 weeks, I was discharged. Went for a agility test.... regain my confident because it was essential condition for my discharge. The expectation after such injury, Doctors and physio also mentioned, its not live threatening, but you will never regain 100% of what it used to be.... perhaps 70-80% is already very good. Of course, there is always the warning, over do it and you "rot" your leg sooner than expected. All other advice acme along the way... knee replacement.... etc...