Last cross broke during strining

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Wingu, May 18, 2013.

1. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    So I strung my VTZF today and just at the end when I started to apply tension to the last cross, it snapped. I asked the other members of my club (everyone strings their own rackets) and if the top cross snaps they usually just leave it like that and tie off.
    Anyways, I did so and there's no crack or anything yet at least, but I'm curious what you guys think about this? The tension is 24x26 with 24 on the last three crosses (well, two now though since the last one snapped). Would you cut the strings or leave it?

2. kingzzz

kingzzz Regular Member

How did it snap?

Personally, i may keep it, especially since if i remember correctly the gap at the top of the racket between the head and last cross for a ZF is quite small. If it was a client however, would definitely cut it. Wont matter too much, though it may mean a top misshit can have a higher chance of breaking strings

3. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Sounds like it might have been cut by a grommet...

I recently had the first/starting cross snap due to a grommet that had been deformed too much from holding the starting knot through several jobs. Unfortunately for me it was at 29lbs and took the mains with it. :eek:

4. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    I'm not entirely sure how it snapped but I don't thinki it was the grommet as the string snapped right in the middle. The thing was though that already when I put tension to the second last cross, the string made this noise as if to already snap on the second last (although it didn't).