Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Legal forehand serve?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by luisme, Apr 5, 2013.

1. luisme

luisme Regular Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0VSS-rvfhg

Is the serve at 9:51 legal? I've almost never been able to return this types of serve no matter what I try. I always lose critical points against this guy when he starts using this specific serve and I feel very frustrated and pissed off every time he succeeded the serve....

2. phili

phili Regular Member

Nothing wrong with that serve except it is not good :D

Flat and short trajectory, should be relatively easy to intercept. You just need to be quick to get behind the shuttle and then thunder down a smash right at the server.

3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

It's just a really flat flick serve played with forehand (legal). Try playing something simple, if there is no time for a big swing to smash, try using your wrist or play a drop instead. :)

4. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

The guy in yellow in the near side seemed to be serving at his chest level every time. Or am I misinterpreting his upward racket movement just before the services?

5. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

Yeah its definitely legal, I'd say it's a bit too legal. His serve is very low.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Very legal. When receiving, hold your racquet so the the racquet is a bit higher and not so close to the net. Receive serve standing about 4 inches further back. That might help.

7. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

this service is not only legal, it's an invitation...;)

8. Ashaan

Ashaan Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I don't find any issues with that serve in terms of legality.. :eek:

It's indeed very flat, so keeping your racket a bit high will help. If you find having no time to react to this serve, try receive his service a step back from the usual-position.. (or you may stay a bit more crouched position, by which you will be able to see the shuttle much better, and intercept it.)

9. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

I've seen this serve being done before, but I dealt with it by standing back a bit (like what you guys said) to give myself a bit more time to respond to it.