Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Looking at the shuttle vs looking at the opponent(s)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by LazyBuddy, Jun 2, 2004.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think i read an old thread somewhere, but can't remember the detail. And with my poor search skill, I guess i will start a new thread, hope ppl don't mind. If we can locate the related thread(s), please feel free to merge (sorry, kwun/cheung/mag :D )

I have a habit during rallies, as I tend to look at opponents (to predict their movements, etc) rather than looking at the shuttle before my stroke. The advantage is, if I can get a decent stroke, seems my placement is better and more tricky to the opponents. Of course, I am taking a risk of low quality shots myself.

There were more than 1 experienced player(s) pointed my problem, and asked me to look at the shuttle, especially for overhead strokes (clear, smash, slice, etc). I am a little bit confused to "where to draw the line". I know I still need a lot of training, but I wonder when I should look at the shuttle, and when I need to switch to observe my opponent's movement(s), or the other way around.

:rolleyes: :confused: :)

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Thnx kwun!!!

As I am mainly a double player (MD and XD), I also wonder if there's anything different when compare to single games in "watching opponent". :rolleyes:

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. in singles, you need to watch one person. in doubles, you need to watch 3 persons: 2 opponents, and your partner!

5. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    That makes you a very busy person on court, indeed. Ideally, if you have partner someone enough times, you should be familiar enough with his/her shot selections to not need to watch him/her all the time.

That leaves only the two fellas on the other court to watch, which is still an eyeful!