My strings never break......

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by SparringKiat, Jan 17, 2014.

1. SparringKiat

SparringKiat Regular Member

Hi everyone. I'm curious about one thing. I now know more and more friends from playing badminton and the stories I heard from them, their strings break very frequently, ranging from a few weeks to 3 months. But for me, a bg66 can last me for more than 1 year without breakage. I would say my standard of play is similar, or somewhat higher, to those friends who breaks their strings very frequently, but why my strings can last so long without any means of breakage. Of course, the feel isn't as good due to tension loss.

My racket was Kason Spry S7 with bg66 @ 26lbs. Been playing with it for more than a year, never changed the string.

Then recently I bought a Protech Absolute 360 with bg66 ultimax @ 30lbs. After a few hours of playing, I noticed some part of the string shows breakage. I'm not sure whether that occurs during the stringing process(didn't really check the racket thoroughly after it being strung by the shop owner, my bad) or occurs after I used it to play. But even with the breakage, the string hasn't break completely and I'm still playing with it for like more than 15 hours already, and it still haven't break.

Please advice. I'm a heavy smasher. My miss-hitting IMHO i would say is 5%-10%. So, what is the reason my strings stays "healthy" for such a long time as compared to other people although my standard is quite similar to the others? Thank you.

2. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    it could be because you are rarely miss hit. try Zymax 62 and see how long it will last..

it could also be due to carelessness of the stringer. the string being damaged in the stringing process can also contribute to the break

3. SparringKiat

Heard of Zymax but never pay attention to it. Why? Is it good? Zymax 62, does it means it is 0.62mm? o_O

4. SparringKiat

Oh so it really is .62mm. Wow. Thats very thin. But i dont think i ever saw it in the store. Hmm will give it a try if i saw it. But my friends they are playing bg66 too and theirs break more frequent than my bg66.

5. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    What's their tension and your tension? BG-65 is known to be durable, in fact, it's practically the main reason it's used everywhere. Maybe you do rarely miss hit? Maybe they hit more on the edges?

Zymax62 is very thin and very easy to break. It's a great string and I would recommend it but only if you string yourself or restringing is very very cheap and convenient where you are located. I sometimes don't even get by a night w/o it breaking. The right miss hit and there goes the string. This was just around the mid 20s, a little lower and it fares much better. Of course it also varies how often I miss hit during a night. ;)

6. Atreyukicks

Atreyukicks Regular Member

Student
    Either you don't play often or you don't smash as hard as you think. Basically if you play a lot and have a good smash it should definitely break after 3-4 weeks. If you play less than a few hours a week then by the time your string becomes used enough to snap, your racquet will have lost so much tension that it won't break. Consider your racquet is losing about 1-2 lbs of tension per week...if you play 2-3 hours a week by the time you've spent 10 hours playing your tension will be around 22 (if you string at 26) so of course it won't break.

I would stay away from zymax 62, too thin, you have to string lower and from experience it generates a little less power than 65 and feels like you lose a LOT of precision due to having to string 23x25, but that's just me...you might like it.

7. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

that's exactly what i thought...

8. SparringKiat

Those friends i mentioned that breaks their string often, they played as frequent as i am and our style of playing are almost same, and also our strength, especially in smashing.

Well, from the comments here, does it means if after i string it and maybe within two weeks to 1 month, i did not play very frequently and the string didnt break then after that i play quite frequent, it already loses a lot of tension that no matter how i play, it also won't break. is that it?

9. Atreyukicks

Atreyukicks Regular Member

Student
    Yes, the second paragraph is correct.