Need advice on best raquet for just smashing

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by marcopolo, Jul 31, 2008.

1. mr_flibbles

mr_flibbles Regular Member

bum
    Take a look at the Yonex Charts and weep my friend. NS9000X is the most Offensive designed racket there is.

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    No it isn't. It's designed for hard smashers but it isn't the most offensive racket because offensive rackets should be heavy head like the AT series where as NS9000X is head light.

Don't believe everything yonex shows you. A good example is the NBG98 chart. It says it has great feeling where in real life the feeling is a little numb.

3. mr_flibbles

bum
    This is what this guy wants- a hard smashers racket. And because its been designed for a hard smasher its more durable.

4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    The NS9000 has being known to break easily on the frame.

If you want a hard smashers racket then go with RSL X2 Gold.

5. mr_flibbles

bum
    You say head heavy is more aggressive but AT900T and AT800Def are head heavy but are more technical rackets. They are aggressive but not in the same way as the AT900P and At800Off. If your offense is just to smash your opponent then basically all rackets can be used to do that. But this guy wants a very durable smashers racket and the NS9000X is probably the best.

6. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    If he wants a durable racket then don't go with the NS9000. Go with other brands such as RSL and SOTX which have better durability.

7. mr_flibbles

bum
    Well I don't know how some people can break a racket. The NS9000X is very durable though. I have clashed rackets with it and it doesant even remove the paint. On my AT900T though clash removes paint and the top layer of material off the racket.

Seriously though if you arnt going to respect your racket then don't spend the money.

8. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
  9. mr_flibbles

bum
    It's on like donkey Kong! Ok well i can't see the thread but if its breaking cause your really smashing hard then It's not my game to smash all the time.

10. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    It's difficult to accept the Nanospeed 9000X as "the most powerful racquet in the world".

To begin with, no racquet is 'powerful' in any literal sense.
    It is the wielder (and his technique) that imparts power.

Some racquets are poor in conveying or transferring that power... and some are good. And some are excellent because they help magnify that power.

Markis Kido, Jung Jae-Sung, Hendra Setiawan, Taufik Hidayat and Fu Haifeng are a few examples of very powerful smashers. None of them is using a Nanospeed 9000. The models that these names wield are the Armortec-900, the ArcSaber-10, the Armortec-800 and the Ti-10. (Incidentally, none of these players uses NBG strings.)

Nanospeed 9000 users on the professional circuit include Jens Eriksen, Park Sung-Hwan and Kendrick Lee. Unfortunately, these players aren't exactly power demons ;)

11. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Don't forget Lin Dan, Chen hong (previously), who use AT700, and NS8000 respectively. And JJS use to use NS7000 which isnt exactly the most famous for power. And big smashers like LYD and HS use AT800DE, the 'defensive version", and taufik uses AT900T, the "technique version".

The most suitable racquet for you will be the best for your playstyle.

12. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

We can't really rely on the information provided by Yonex at all.
    For example on yonex.co.uk, Lin Dan is depicted to be using the AT900P instead of the AT700. This is because many people prefer to buy the 'champion's racquet', but it is more expensive than the at700. Marketting tactics I believe.

Also, if you have a look at DinkALot's string thickness test thread, it's proven that Yonex strings are thicker than what it states on the package. Ie: BG65 is supposedly 0.70mm, but it is actually around 0.75mm, no wonder it's so durable :eek:... We can't trust what Yonex tell us.

I've done some researching on some samples of yonex racquets ( some broken ones i found too ), and found out that head-heavy racquets have a hollower handle than head-light racquets. So it's not just that the head is heavy because there's more material compressed in the head, but that the handle is lighter.. :eek:.. pretty cheeky.

I do agree that the NS9K is pretty powerful for a head-light/even-balanced racquet, but not as powerful as compared to some of the Armortecs. But since the NS9K is head-light/even-balanced, it is more maneuverable than the head-heavy armortec racquets. So therefore, I believe it's more of an all-round racquet than a smasher's-racquet.

Yup and as Phandrew said, the NS9K has durability issues. Well, all Nanospeeds do. It's just that the NS9K is more commonly used, so we see more of them breaking than the rest. It seems like that the part where the 'Elastic Ti' merges with the graphite always breaks ( 4/8 o'clock position and 2/10 o'clock position breaks off ).

13. hkbsah

hkbsah Regular Member

:D RSL 2x Diamond, the newest one :D, try that one, i haven't find one person around my area that able to handle that beast. Your first game with that "thing" will be explosive lol. If you only play 1 hour a day, 3 days a week then that would be my recommendation cause if you play more than that, then it's gonna feel like a tennis racquet.

14. chowzer

chowzer Regular Member

i completely agree with what OldHand says

and plus, if we just look at the pure physics of it, a head-heavy ANYTHING will generate more power than a head light anything. it's just the physics of torque.

this is why you wield a hammer holding the lighter end (handle) not the heavier end (the head). it enables the user to impart a heavier more power swing to the nail head.

samething with rackets.

and also, to the person who started the thread (can't remember your name) you might want to stay with the same type of racket (head heavy, light or balanced) as the timing will be slightly different with each respected type. this difference will be enough to offset your smash, accuracy and just speeed in general.

good luck on your racket huuuunt

15. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    This only works assuming you can swing the head heavy racquet as fast as the head light one. If you have a racquet 2x as heavy as another, but the lighter one swings 2x as fast, then torque is equal.

16. chowzer

chowzer Regular Member

completely agree. but when we are talking Racket physics, the swings speeds (assuming the player is fit, and giving his/her best) are relative.

there isn't a racket you would play with on the market today that is so heavy that you will decrease you swing speed to that degree.

i still think the best way to improve smash speed (or any other shot for that matter) is footwork, technique and physical fitness

17. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Head heavy racquet will not generate more power. It transfer momentum better than head light one.