Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Need help finding my first racquet (info inside)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by velocitygirl, Jan 10, 2017.

1. velocitygirl

velocitygirl New Member

1. How often do you play, how serious are you?
    Once a week, it's just a hobby for fun

2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)
    Somewhere in the middle, I'm not really able to smash well at the minute without missing!

3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?
    Not too worried about durability as I'm quite careful and haven't damaged a racquet yet

4. How much money do you want to spend?
    Looking in the £20-30 area

Other info:
    I only play singles, so looking for a 3U weight. I've read that even balanced is better for beginners, not sure about flex. I've had the Yonex Nanoray 6 and 9 recommended to me- would these be ok or are they too light?

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

Student
    I don't think Yonex have great pickings at £20-£30 unless you're buying something used.

Personally I think even balance are better for beginners, because if it's too headlight or too head heavy, people start hitting badly or lazily.

Now, it's a little bit over what you wanted to spend, but this looks like the ideal racket for you:
    http://www.directbadminton.co.uk/sp...at-f2g-blast-badminton-racket?ProductID=17401

It's just above medium balance, so you've got a little extra headweight. There's a lot of flex to it, so it'll be nice and easy to generate power with.

I know it's already a bit over what you'd like to spend, but I thoroughly recommend you take the 'Half Price Restring' option, and get yourself BG65 at 22lbs. This means you'll be paying £41 overall, but you'll get a higher quality racket than the Nanoray 6 or 9, with good specifications for beginners, and a good string that'll last you and see you through.

3. velocitygirl

velocitygirl New Member

Thanks for your reply! That one looks quite good and seems to be the specs I'm looking for (never heard of the brand though, but I know that isn't everything!).

It is a little bit out of my price range as you've mentioned- if I was going to spend 40-odd quid, are there any others that would be worth looking at? I noticed this one, which seems to have similar specs (I know it says 4U, but it is only 1g lighter): http://directbadminton.co.uk/sport/...csaber-lite-badminton-racket-?ProductID=21261

Alternatively, if you absolutely had to stick to £30 max, what would you recommend?

4. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    Personally I wouldn't bother with the string upgrade. At your current level you probably wouldn't notice much difference, and factory strings are more than adequate.

What are you playing with now, and what do you find good/bad about it?

5. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

Student
    The Arcsaber Lite would likely be fine too.

I mean the restring could probably wait for now.

My issue with these cheap Yonex rackets is that there are no specifications listed for them, and they can end up a bit wild. They can end up heavy, with strange weight distribution, or too stiff for what you want.

The Babolat racket I've recommended and the Arcsaber Lite you've mentioned both have their weight, flexibility etc. all listed clearly. I think it would definitely be worth putting the extra £3-£7 in to get a good quality racket.

6. velocitygirl

velocitygirl New Member

At the moment I hire one from the sports centre each time- they use these: http://www.jplennard.com/jpl-hire-badminton-racket.html

To be honest, I don't think I know enough to point out what I like and dislike- I do find it a bit heavy and cumbersome to swing quickly.

7. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    Ah OK, anything would feel good after using one of those! My personal preference would be the Voltric Lite over the Arcsaber - the slightly head heavy balance plus 4U weight is a good combination for easy power. That's just an opinion based on specs though! I have used a Voltric 7 with the same spec and thought that was very impressive. It comes under your £30 budget too!

8. velocitygirl

velocitygirl New Member

Just to update, I went for the Arcsaber Lite in the end, and am very pleased with it. Can't believe how different it is compared to what I was using! Thanks for all the advice.

seanc6441 and emjay like this.