Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Net play drills

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jpazn23, Jun 12, 2009.

1. jpazn23

jpazn23 Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys. I was wondering what are the types of drills I should be doing to improve my net shots. I'm trying to work on slicing the shuttle so I can create that tumbling effect. Is there any other drills besides someone just feeding me shuttles at the net? Thanks.

2. William86_98

William86_98 Regular Member

Student
    i used to do this drill..but u need a partner.

you basically hit net shots back and forth...first on forehand straight nets..(obviously, one of u will be backhand.and one of u will be forehand)...u both hit from top of tape...then...after a little...both hit from middle of the net...then...after....both hit from just off the floor......gives you practice for all situation....

then u repeat from backhand straight....forehand cross...backhand cross...

essentially...you'll be getting lots of hits....and that is the most important thing.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's also helpful to incorporate some movement into your practices. A simple example would be to rally with a partner using this sequence of shots: lift (him), drop shot (you), net shot (him), spinning net shot (you).

You don't have to do this right away, but at some point it's good to move towards a more game-like situation, rather than just standing there.

4. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Net play

Hi jpazn23,
    Personally, I think if u want to be good at net play, u got to have the "feel" in control the birdie at the front. One of the practice worth trying is: try to juggle the birdie and control it. Make it goes to the destination where u want it to go to. Alternatively, u may tie a string or a net abt 5 ft high and juggle the birdie pass this string or net. Accuracy is very important in this practice.Once, u can control this birdie. U will be good in net play.;)
    Lee:D

#4 Notnimdab729, Jun 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  5. jpazn23

jpazn23 Regular Member

Student
    Thanks everyone for your responses!
    I have been doing the net play with a partner and the drop/net drills during my season, but since its over I dont have anyplace to practice. So I'm more into solo training. Sorry I didnt make that clear before.

Hi, Lee
    I'm sorry, but I dont quite understand what you are talking about.Ummmm, do you mean bouncing the birdie and trying to control it?

6. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Net Play

Hi jpazn23,
    Yup. u bounce the shuttle with yr racket and try to control it. Remember the amount of strength needed to bounce the shuttle to different height....this is control n try to get the "feel". Accuracy comes with regular n consistent practice. Practice makes things perfect. But sometimes expects imperfection:p
    Practise using forehand and sometimes back hand grips. Sometimes hold the racket 's handle in yr palm n sometimes in yr fingers. Most important is to get the "feel" n subsequently the ability to control the shuttle to yr required height and destination.
    Lee:D

7. jpazn23

jpazn23 Regular Member

Student
    Thank You I got it now! I will practice right away...in the morning.:D