Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

New Badminton Venues and Games Website

Discussion in 'Places to play / Clubs / Local Events' started by joetheshow, May 5, 2014.

1. joetheshow

joetheshow Regular Member

Fulltime day dreamer
    Hey guys,I am a badminton fan of 15 years of playing experience. I have been stalking this forum since I was a teenager. You may know me from my Badminton video highlight channel "swiftballa" or www.badmintonspotlights.com. I have been building a map location-based website as another solution to the "where-to-play" and "who-to-play" problem in our community -> www.who4sports.com
    The website is location/map based, featuring:1) Venues location discovery/suggestion/review/discussion2) Games/Events/meetup creation, either on any map location or from an existing venue, this can be public or private3) Markets for local services, buy/sell, trading discovery. much like craigslist or kijiji. no e-commerce or transaction system.I am based in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I have filled in about 250 badminton clubs and venues in Ontario. But I cannot fill in all the venues in the world, especially those that are privately held in schools, churches and etc. So I need our community's help. It would be an awesome start if the BadmintonCentral community members can each contribute in some of the following ways:1) Suggesting the venues that he/she goes to. (this does not require user account, but I will personally verify the information entered in-order to avoid spam)2) Create an user account and specify your interests. This is needed to arrange games/events or create market items. 3) Leave your ratings and comments on the venues that you've been to.I have envisioned a state of the website where anyone at any place can find venues with good reviews around him/her to play. The person can post for things like "I am looking for a doubles game at ??? time" or "Looking for 1v1 training partner". Community leaders can post things like "Looking for 1 more person to play doubles". All of this is presented in a simple map/table view. Once we have the right amount of data, I think the community can benefit a lot from it where new-comers can easily integrate into a new community and people can always find games when some friends are missing.This website is built to be generalizable to all sports. However, as a badminton fan, I'd love to explore the badminton community first, if not keeping the whole thing as a dedicated badminton website depending on how things go. At the moment, it is 100% badminton.Currently the website is in Beta stage. All core functionalities are in-place, but there are many more fine-tuning I can still do, particularly in making things look better.Please have a look and leave me any questions/comments/suggestions either on the website or in this thread.​

#1 joetheshow, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
  2. joetheshow

Fulltime day dreamer
    formatting of the post didn't turn out the way I wanted... :( waiting on admin to help me.

3. pandaengineer

pandaengineer Regular Member

Graduate Student
    Thanks, I'm going to check it out and help fill out places to play in the Bay Area!

4. joetheshow

Fulltime day dreamer
    Repost, formatted

Hey guys,I am a badminton fan of 15 years of playing experience. I have been stalking this forum since I was a teenager. You may know me from my Badminton video highlight channel "swiftballa" or www.badmintonspotlights.com.

I have been building a map location-based website as another solution to the "where-to-play" and "who-to-play" problem in our community -> www.who4sports.com
    The website is location/map based, featuring:

1) Venues location discovery/suggestion/review/discussion
    2) Games/Events/meetup creation, either on any map location or from an existing venue, this can be public or private
    3) Markets for local services, buy/sell, trading discovery. much like craigslist or kijiji. no e-commerce or transaction system.

I am based in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I have filled in about 250 badminton clubs and venues in Ontario. But I cannot fill in all the venues in the world, especially those that are privately held in schools, churches and etc. So I need our community's help. It would be an awesome start if the BadmintonCentral community members can each contribute in some of the following ways:

1) Suggesting the venues that he/she goes to. (this does not require user account, but I will personally verify the information entered in-order to avoid spam)
    2) Create an user account and specify your interests. This is needed to arrange games/events or create market items.
    3) Leave your ratings and comments on the venues that you've been to.I have envisioned a state of the website where anyone at any place can find venues with good reviews around him/her to play. The person can post for things like "I am looking for a doubles game at ??? time" or "Looking for 1v1 training partner".

Community leaders can post things like "Looking for 1 more person to play doubles". All of this is presented in a simple map/table view. Once we have the right amount of data, I think the community can benefit a lot from it where new-comers can easily integrate into a new community and people can always find games when some friends are missing.This website is built to be generalizable to all sports.

However, as a badminton fan, I'd love to explore the badminton community first, if not keeping the whole thing as a dedicated badminton website depending on how things go. At the moment, it is 100% badminton.Currently the website is in Beta stage.

All core functionalities are in-place, but there are many more fine-tuning I can still do, particularly in making things look better.Please have a look and leave me any questions/comments/suggestions either on the website or in this thread.