New calibration criterion for LCW opponents

Discussion in 'Philippines Open / Singapore Open 2008' started by pjswift, Jun 15, 2008.

1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Some time back, to get a gauge of LCW's opponents, I used the duration that LCW needed to defeat them as the criterion. In light of the way LCW played in SO, a more useful indicator(imperfect but interesting) would be the total points achieved(TPA) by his opponents in their best two games, as follows:
    Opponent TPA
    Sho S 33
    PG 31
    WCH 30
    Simon S 18
    JP 16
    Imperfect because LCW played with different intensity depending on how dangerous he perceives his opponents.For example if he played seriously against JP, JP may have scored below 10.
    Interesting because it may indicate Sho>PG>WCH>Simon>JP should they meet.Will that indication bear out in IO next week?

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Can you total the time on court for each opponent? Does it look if there is a correlation with the scores ?(should be). Does it change the order of rating of the opponents?

3. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Will someone with advanced statistics help?

4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Watching his matches against Sho Sasaki, Joachim Persson, Peter Gade and Simon Santoso, it seemed to me that Lee Chong Wei uses the period until the first break in the first game (that's the first 11-point interval) to simply study and gauge his opponent's gameplan or strategy-of-the-day.

(Unless, of course, he is being charitable to his opponent :p)

That could explain why, in each opening phase, it looks as if the opponent is on par with him, going neck-and-neck for the points. What follows then is the actual 'Lee Chong Wei game' (read: the massacre) :eek:

5. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

After demolishing Simon in the final, LCW has joined the "elite" group. Among the members are LinDan, LCW, BCL, CJ and ParkSH. I believe that these five players are the top contender for the OG08 gold.

Proud of LCW... Msia Boleh...!!! :p:D

6. olympic

olympic Regular Member

Not forgetting LHI as well... On a separate note,I've noticed that LCW was a slow stater in recent tournament,not at his usual fast attacking style right from the start.Quite similar to LD's slow starter situation now.Perhaps that is LCW's new strategies?

7. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Yes, I may missed out LHI but I particular dont fancy his chances in OG08. He is too defensive in style but nevertheless, I think he is a "dark horse" :D

8. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    What about Peter;)
    Lose in 2 sets to LeeCW might meants nothing to him as he is mentally strong , especially for Big tournament like OG

9. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

LCW has already spotted Gade's biggest weakness. OK, I was told by "someone" when I asked him about the LCW vs Gade game (one day before the match). He explained everything in details about Gade's game and I witnessed how LCW exploited Gade's weakness. :rolleyes:

That simply shows that LCW truly played according to the "plan". Make no mistake, I am also a big fan of Gade (if u remember wat I told u in JKT about Gade vs ParkSH match) :p

10. markchan

markchan Regular Member

In that respect, after his awesome showing in TC and SO, I think the CHN coaches have already studied LCW's game and is coming out with a "plan" for LD, BCL and CJ...

11. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Then,....MAS coaches will study BCL, CJ 's game in coming IO08....and to come out with a new plan to deal with them..........and LD's most recent form...in coming TO08...........and this will never stop........U study mine,....me study urs......:D:D:D

12. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I have the same impression. LCW is getting more confident.

13. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Spotting weakness is just the first step... The key is whether you have the ability to indeed exploit this weakness on court.

I bet this "someone" will be destroyed if he goes on court and play PG. :D

14. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

LCW even looks abit "cocky" during the semis and finals.
    Hopefully he wont get too overconfident in OG, must keep focus and remain his top form. If he can do that, i dont see anything less than a OG finals for him.

15. Silencer

Silencer Regular Member

:D
    yup, i do see LCW being a little arrogant and cocky, but i think its better than his usual timid type.. just dont over do it..:cool:
    Maybe his opponent will only fear an arrogant LCW:D

16. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    The best way would be weight LCW before a game and after...
    That way we know how much energy he used in that game!

17. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I think it is done on purpose -- definitely a strategy to conserve energy as well test the opponent. He knows he can turn it on so why activate so early. Check out the opponent; lull him into attacking first and just defend, and then when the opponent thinks he has control, take him on. This way the opponent is totally surprised.

It is not good trying to attack right from the start as it drains you and if it does not work, there is not much you can do after that. Take the loss to LD in CO where LCW won the first game against LD comfortably - he expanded too much and LD took advantage in the 2nd and 3rd.

LCW now plays a controlled game. He will not go all out to attack but he will be quick to react when it is required. He will move the opponent and try to get him to expand his energy as much as possible in the 1st game. His strategy is to drain them coz he knows he can overcome them with his super fitness. It is brilliant if you ask me.

18. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Actually, I think it is the opposite watching him play Santosa. When everyone was cheering him on to beat Santosa by a perfect game (21-0), he did not once look arrogant towards Santosa. He lowered his head and tried to be humble - very focused. At the end, he tried his best to put on a smile (his usual whether he loses or wins) for Santosa. Real kudos to him.

19. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

I dont mind him being cocky abit, it shows the confidence and desire to win. Just dont lose focus or being over confident.

20. well-son

well-son Regular Member

Agree. I have that impression, too. He is getting stronger and stronger, technically and mentally.

Yes, beside he has the confidence, I see him become a smart player.