Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Not Performing Enough Drop Shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by BrioCloud, Feb 12, 2010.

1. BrioCloud

BrioCloud Regular Member

UC Davis Student
    Hi. I am an intermediate singles player and have found that I do not perform enough overhead drops especially the fast drop or a half smash. I always tend to try to weaken my opponent by attack clearing or clearing to backhand, but every once in awhile, I find that I'm not dropping at all, and my opponent reads my clears and smashes it quickly. I have notice I do this very often. Is there some sort of reason why I may be clearing too much? Or is it a habit?

Also, in what situations do different types of drop shot become more effective? Slow, fast, angled cross-court drops? Thank you.

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

My guess is that it's a habit. It's easy to get stuck in a pattern of play, especially if you are more confident with your habitual shots (clears) than with the alternative (drops).

As for choosing among drops shots, try this: drop shot tactics for singles.

#2 Gollum, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  3. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    sometimes i find that it's actually okay to be stuck in a pattern, as long as it's getting you points. But soon your opponent will adapt and try to break it....that's where you have to adjust your pattern of play as well...

I would also add that it might be your confidence level on dropshots that's playing a part. You need to be proficient in executing it well in a real match...so that is where your practice comes in.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, I find myself in that situation often too. Especially when adrenaline and aggression is flowing thru the mind and body during a tight game, it is very difficult to remember to slow the pace down with a dropshot or a half smash.

Comes down to practice, I suppose.