Old faithful or new racquet for tourny?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by DuckFeet, May 26, 2012.

1. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I have the latter half of a club tournament coming up and I just got a new racquet. I think I can see the beginnings of the strings starting to fray on the old racquet.

So which would you do:
    a) try and adjust to new racquet in the warmup and first easy game, expecting to MUCH harder games next?
    b) use the old racquet and hope the strings last? I'm not sure but I think they are getting softer.

I'm going with the shiny new one because it's shiny and new and I can get more power out of it :)

2. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

as long as i dont have real difficulties with the new one I would absolutely take the new one!

i assume you had senseful thoughts behind the purchase...(some guys here just buy rackets for the looks then obv. take the old and better one..)

3. Pizza Fish

Pizza Fish Regular Member

if you arent used to the new racket by the time of the tournament, then i would use the old racket (restring it!)

4. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I'm 100% sure on the racket, I offered to buy it off the owner after 3 shots when I tried it previously. The only doubt is the time it will take to adjust. It's only a club tourny but I want to do my best.

No time to restring the old racket (didnt want what was on offer) and even then it would still take some adjustment to different strings/tension. I've ordered the Zymax 65. I had definitely decided on white, put it in my basket, went with red in the end, damn you kwun!

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you should see the sea of red strings in my team last week!

6. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Well the new one hurt my shoulder after 1 game so I switched back, went well but I was overhitting shots. SO I went back to the new racquet again and blimey at the difference 22lbs makes versus whatever soggy tension I have on other racquets. Micropower are very nice so I cannot wait to try the Zymax65. Very happy with how I played so I'm definitely staying at 22lbs (21/23) on the next restring. Just need to learn the timing to smash with a whippier racquet now :) If it was more serious I would have risked a broken string on the old racquet. It still feels completely natural to play with.

7. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Why do I always buy a new racquet at the end of season around the time of our club tourny? Silly me. Should be well worth the wait. Black/white strings definitely will look better than red on this one. Custom logo definitely required. I already have the T-shirt to match...

8. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

rackets are overrated imho.

as long as you don't change from super flexy headlight too ultra-stiff headheavy (or vice versa), don't think too much about it...