Opening Stance: Dominant Foot or Adjacent Foot?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Justin N., Jan 16, 2017.

1. Justin N.

Justin N. Regular Member

I have always started my badminton opening stance with my dominant foot forward, which is my right foot since I am left-handed. Seems natural. However, my team coach keeps insisting that I serve with my left foot forward as I am left-handed. Who's right in this matter?

2. Ihasdapie

Ihasdapie Regular Member

Student
    Right handed:
    Right foot forward on serve
    Left foot forward upon receive, as you can step forward with your dominant foot.

Left handed:
    Left foot forward on serve
    Right foot forward upon receive, as you can step forward with your dominant foot.

Hope this helps

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Is this doubles or singles?

4. Justin N.

Justin N. Regular Member

Primarily singles. But I play doubles as well on occasion.

5. Justin N.

Justin N. Regular Member

Does this work with a forehand short serve, because I prefer the traditional serve over backhand? Thanks a lot!

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker

If you are left handed, your dominant foot is usually the left foot.

Could you just clarify?

7. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Forehand serve: Always opposite foot forward. Anything else is nuts.

Backhand serve: Most play same foot a bit forward, but more towards neutral stance. Some play 100% neutral stance. Some play opposite foot forward. Some play same foot dominantly forward (lifting the heel on the other foot).

I would advocate neutral or same foot slightly forward, but I guess it's a matter of personal preference.

Cheers,
    FB

8. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

If you hold your racquet with your left hand, then your 'dominant' foot is your left foot, this is also known as your racquet foot as that's the side you hold your racquet*.

On a forehand serve, you would have your right foot forward (non-dominant foot) in order to have space for your racquet to swing, and also to allow rotation of your hips to add power for a high, deep serve (more applicable in singles, as backhand serves are the standard in doubles). As FB says, it would be mad to have your left foot forward as this would restrict your racquet swing and would be wildly inconsistent.

On a backhand serve, you generally have your left foot forward, as people tend to like the feeling of having space behind the shuttle to have a slight backswing without hitting themselves. Most people however, have a very short backhand serve backswing anyway, therefore many players have a neutral stance (left/right foot level with each other), or even left foot forward. It affects the quality of a doubles backhand serve very little, so as long as you are ready for the reply and can serve consistently tight, then do whatever you like with the backhand serve.

*If you hold your racquet with your right hand, swap all the left/rights around. Just to clarify, many people refer to their 'dominant' hand specifically as the hand the write with. This is not necessarily the hand they hold a badminton racquet/cricket bat/bow and arrow with. Also with the same thing, the 'dominant' foot is normally the one people associate kicking a ball with. This is not necessarily the same foot that is on the side where someone might hold their racquet.

#8 DarkHiatus, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017