Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Pain in Leg Calf

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Blisse, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Blisse

Blisse Regular Member

Student
    I probably picked a bad sport to play what with all these injuries.

For almost a month now, I've had pain in my calf. Specifically, the inward facing side about halfway down. When my calves tense up from my full body weight leaning on it, there's a small hard budge that forms. If I do the same to the other un-injured leg, the budge is softer and less noticeable. This pain only occurs when there's significant weight on that leg.

I get this most when doing a overhead clear or stroke. Usually, you launch yourself upwards with your back leg, but when I bend my knee, the pain starts. After a practice or a game, the pain is significantly worse. Rest usually stops it, but comes back the next time I play. It also hurts when I lunge forward, not as much as the clears, but still there.

It's been almost a month, and I have no idea what or why it's occurring. I'm going to see my family physician in a few days since it has gotten pretty out of hand, but I want your opinions.

Could it be caused by doing overhead clears too much? Bad technique in landing or lifting? Or my calves are just too tense?

I have never been injured before in my legs.

For clarification, I was taught that most overhead strokes should be non-racquet foot forward and perpendicular to the net, racquet foot behind and parallel to the net, body perpendicular to the net and feet about 1.5-2 shoulder widths apart. The racquet leg bends then springs forward (at which point the pain begins) while the non-racquet foot lifts up, and the feet switch places in the air, landing non-racquet foot first (where the racquet foot was initially), so the momentum carries you forward. Not sure how clear that is.

2. Poglomog

Poglomog Regular Member

Poggle
    Good description on the clear... I can't see anything wrong with the way you described that - if it's working for you, stick to it. It likely isn't the cause of your injuries.

The "small hard buldge" that forms when you tense your calf muscle sounds like a torn muscle. Without seeing it I can't tell you for sure; this diagnosis is based more on the type and timing of the pain you described, and not the bulge.

I'd be interested to see what your physician said... I am to conclude that you've already seen him/her based on your quote "in a few days", posted over two weeks ago. :p