Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Plastic shuttle that flies like feathers

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by bigredlemon, Apr 26, 2005.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I remember a few years ago somebody (RSL? Carlton?) in the UK released a plastic shuttle that flies almost like a feather bird, and more durable than the mavis 300. I recall a few UK BFers having tried it and liked it very much. It was supposed to have begun exporting to other countries sometime last year, but I have yet to hear about them since.

Does anyone know what happened?

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    It was RSL but we haven't heard anything from the users so far.

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Are you refering to the Carlton "Quill"? I heard some stuff about it before, that it's supposed to be very similiar to feather shuttles.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The quill shuttle is made by Ashaway. Here's what Central Sports gushes:

I tried it once. It's just a good plastic shuttle; don't hope for anything more. I might try it again, to compare against Mavis 300/370. In particular, it did seem pretty sturdy, so it may be a cheaper option with no drawbacks.

But there's no way in hell that thing feels like a feather.

[​IMG]

#4 Gollum, Apr 26, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  5. j_e_thompson

j_e_thompson Regular Member

Software Engineer
    The Mavis 370 is supposed to recover after a smash within 0.005 seconds of the recovery time of a feather shuttle. Whether that classes as "flying like a feather bird" I don't know. These don't seem to be available in all parts of the world, but is the plastic shuttle of choice in our local leagues.

Played in a league match where the opponents used Ashaway Quill shuttles. We normally use M370's and I think they felt a bit more like M300's from what I remember. A bit more solid when you hit them. Not sure about the durability though - we destroyed a couple (which doesn't usually happen with M370's)

Slightly off topic (perhaps), has anyone tried the Mavis 500's shown on Yonex Japan's website?

#5 j_e_thompson, Apr 27, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  6. wirre

wirre Regular Member

I have and must say I didn't think it was any better than Mavis 370. My personal preference for nylon shuttles is Victor.

/mats

7. other

other Regular Member

Student
    nothing amazing, i thought they were kinda midway between 300 and 370. the 370 is like a ping pong ball sometimes, and the 300 is a lot more solid when hitting. 500 didnt feel too light or heavy, but it didnt exactly "feel" great either.