Please reply all LEFT/RIGHT-handed players

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by NL-player, Dec 16, 2002.

?

i am.....

1. RIGHT handed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. LEFT handed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. smashin'

smashin' Regular Member

Christianity & HS student
    I'm right-handed for sure, and play badminton rigt-handed. I also pitch and catch in baseball right-handed, but I bat left-handed. Everything else I can think of I do right-handed.

There's one guy that plays in our group who can hit almost equally well with his left arm. If you hit him a backhand, he'll switch arms and can smash it pretty well. I've tried hitting with my left arm.....and, well.....I can make contact.....most of the time......lol

2. other

other Regular Member

Student
    i am right handed, but one day i would like to be able to play wth my left as well...maybe my left hand can be the properly coached one, and my right hand be my natural one:)

3. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

Some people are born lefthanded but then they are forced to learn to use their right hand. One of my friends had to do that.

4. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

I said that happened to me earlier in this thread!

5. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

left handedness has been seen to be correlated with many birth-complications, the most common being delayed labor.

the differences isn't as large as 9 years, but right handed people DO on average with a HUGE SAMPLE, live up to two years longer at the very most.

the difference is probably related to how the left handed people may encounter slight problems when muscle and brain relays inadveratently mix things up, resulting in minor accidents, and such. usually tripping, getting hands caught in objects, etc.

this won't translate direectly into the two year longer life expectation, but i guess small accidents can result in larger accidents too.

its nothing to be worried about.

6. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    LOL - left handed people tend to get eliminated naturally? like natures way of weeding out the abnormal, so the left handed people just get themselves killed off by right-handed devices? like safety on the pistol - OH OH! it's on the right hand thumb side? TOO LATE! okay, another lefty bites the dust...

LOL! :D :D :D :D

7. smashin'

smashin' Regular Member

Christianity & HS student
    rofl....yeah....ok.....

8. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Lefty percentages

Here in the US I usually see the estimate of lefties at 10% of the general population. One source claimed it to be as high as 13%. In many countries, left-handedness is discouraged in babies & young children even moreso than it is here in the US. India & China are 2 countries with large populations that appear to fall into this category. Has anyone seen lefty estimates for these or any other countries?

At least one expert has claimed that at least 25% of the world's population should be left-handed but most have been forced to 'conform to the norm'. Often, this programming is done in subtle ways. Parents often hand objects only to the right hand of their offspring. Many babies show a lefty preference or no preference at all but are programmed by parents & others to prefer their right hand. Quite often the programming is not so subtle. Young children are sometimes forbidden to draw or write with their left hand.

It is interesting to note that in some animal species, the left paw or left front leg is the preferred appendage. There are many theories on why the human species has a right-hand pref but no one has come up with the definitive reason why this is so.

One of the latest theories is that it is genetic. Offspring of 2 righty parents has the lowest incidence of lefty-ness. With 1 lefty parent, the percentage goes up. One stat shows that the offspring of 2 lefty parents has a 46% chance of being a southpaw (left-handed).

One expert claims that perhaps half the population of the world has a gene for a right-hand preference. The other half of the population does not have the gene & has a 50-50 chance chance of going either lefty or righty. But because of parental influence or the need to conform to right-handed desks & tools, the lefty population is considerably less than the expected 25%.

#48 SystemicAnomaly, Jan 15, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  9. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

handing objects to only their right hand?
    maybe parents should smack their children for using their left hand too...
    go pavlov!!! haha. :D

10. wubuseah

wubuseah Regular Member

Procrastination
    somehow that theory has a flaw in it...the only way to prove this would be a) isolate an actual gene that does this
    or b) separate babies after their birth into a none left/right biased enviroment to prevent the babies from being "forced" into a left/right situation due to their surroundings...
    so anyway the stat is probably becuz the parents are subconsiously training their kids to be the same as them...which is why the percentage goes up when both parents are lefties.
    merely doing things right-handed around a child might change their actual preference, as a child can copy what an adult does (monkey see monkey do :p )....

11. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Monkey see, monkey do? This would likely get you get you the opposite effect since a monkey (or a child) that is facing you would tend to 'mirror" your actions... if you lift your right arm, the monkey might tend to lift its left arm... mirror image!

For some theories on handedness, check the following link:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/1684/lefthand.html#Theories

12. wubuseah

wubuseah Regular Member

Procrastination

but you dont do everything facing ur kid...other things like driving, cooking, etc. are done where the child can only copy exactly the arm you are using.
    i'm not sure about everyone else, but when i see relatives teaching their child to write they normally sit with the child on their lap and guide them from behind...hence picking up by copying from parents.

13. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    You've just described another form of coercion. It is not an example of pure imitation (monkey see, monkey do). As I mentioned before, babies & young children are coerced in subtle way and not-so-subtle ways toward a right-hand bias.

14. wubuseah

wubuseah Regular Member

Procrastination
    i was using it as an argument against the statistics behind the genetics-as-a-cause theory

15. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    I'm in a bit of an odd situation...

I was technically born a left-hander, and during situations I will still use my lefthand on instinct. However, in the Chinese culture, left-handed people are "bad" so my mother hit me every time I used my left hand when I was little...and through my many years of practise, I am dominantly a right-handed person. However, my left hand control of a pencil, is slightly better than most people... It is around the same situation with my feet during soccer, but I'm now dominantly right-legged as well...

16. flymordecai

flymordecai Regular Member

I'm ambidextrous. I write, use a spoon/fork, serve in tennis, etc. with my left hand. I play badminton, hit tennis groundstrokes, throw balls(football, bastketball), cut scissors, and other things with my right hand. So I serve lefty in tennis, but play right handed. Mostly because I can't throw with my left hand. Badminton...I'm not sure why I chose to play right handed. Maybe it felt more natural? I don't remember.

17. Tomsk

Tomsk Regular Member

WOW! You have both LONG and SHORT right arms! :eek:
    No wonder you're confuddled! :p

Anyway there's obviously going to be more right handed badminton players. Left handed racquets have to be made to order. ;)

18. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Yeah, rifles and handguns sound alot better than long or short arms:D.

19. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    When I was taking a biological psychology course at a college, an instructor who was doing research in this area commented that "left-handed people have brain defect." We weren't sure what he meant so we responded to him with some polite laughs. He was a left-handed (he was writing with his left hand).

From what we understood from him at the time, he said some people born with certain brain defect were left-handed. But, he didn't say that they have handicap. I believe what he said was that their brains (structure) made them left-handed people. Other than that, they are just fine.

#59 CanuckBur, Feb 14, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  20. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    Oops! Scrape that "structure".