Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    Nice Jackie, Good all round play i would say. You basically control all the rallies. By far the best player on court. The other side seemed to be rushing it a lot and you just played the smarter shots on pretty much every occasion. Your partner seemed quite a bit weaker than you, technically on serving and receiving of serve he had a few problems, but once you guys got into the rally you dominated. You were the only player that was decisive at the net and changed the pace consistently to keep them guessing. Would be nice to play you one day:)

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Very flattering, thanks :D And yeah, would be nice - I'm probably gonna be in England in September, so perhaps we can make that happen ;D

3. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    great. where do you tend to visit? i live near guildford in surrey, so can recommend you to visit some good standard clubs. or just join in to my clubs.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Ohh that's a long way :D I'm gonna be in Bristol in early September (90% sure)...for a weekend. It's an exchange, and sadly there's not many good players involved (or rather not many of my level of play, however you define that :D)...

5. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    ah thats a shame. i know a lot of the better players around bristol. Ive just got a new job role with my company which involves a bit more travel. hopefully if i get to go to germany ill let you know and perhaps join you on a club night or something.

j4ckie likes this.
  6. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Would be cool if we could get enough BCers together to fill a court. Assuming you'd get any court time and be able to bring your kit bag.

7. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

I could proably make the trip with enough notice, it's under 2 hours from me!

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'll know relatively early this year (February/March), but I wont be completely free - almost the entire weekend is planned through, but we play on Friday night and Saturday noon, so maybe you can just contact the people organising everything....? I'll pm you the e-mail some time. Would be fun to get several of us on court, especially AimUK and myself as two of the more frequent contributors to this thread :D

AimUk likes this.
  9. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

No pressure on it at all, wouldn't want to disrupt any plans you have made, but if you have any free time or there is a gap i'd be happy to come up and hopefully get on court with a few of us!

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Germany is a big place!

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It's been to the day one year since I have last posted a clip in here (see http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...-yourself-playing.68773/page-122#post-2417997), so it's about time for an update.

Same (low-ceilinged) hall, same opponent, just 12 months later and with better picture quality (bye, bye pumping autofocus) - I'm the guy in the white shirt in the foreground:

A bit of background:
    I am actively trying to improve in singles since I will most likely be playing the 3rd MS in the upcoming second half of the club league. For the last couple of seasons I was pretty much booked for XD (which has always been my favorite discipline tbh), but now I will have to take a step out of my comfort zone. My opponent in the video plays the 2nd MS in our team and hasn't lost a single match during the ongoing season so far. So I would say he is a good benchmark for the MS-level in our league. For the Germans in here - we are playing "Bezirksliga" which is… well… low...

Based on last year's BC feedback, I have focused my training on improving my movement and footwork in the meantime - get stronger legs, stand lower and simply move faster around the court. I'm now bursting to hear if the time and sweat I have invested was worth it or if I had better spent it on buying and/or stringing rackets. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]Oh, and mostly following @ucantseeme's arguments, I have switched back from backhand serves to good old forehand serves. Still need to work a bit to get it more consistent though, but I have noticed that it reduces the pressure a lot in the beginning of the rallies. I still tend to mix in a backhand serve now and then to see how the opponent reacts to it.

Random things I have noticed:
    - Split step still not as consistent as I want it to be, but at least the times I get caught wrong-footed has dropped to almost zero. I wanted to change my split step from an actual bouncy jump more towards a slight drop of balance and an immediate push off. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to re-program things like this.
    - I lose body tension and stop moving completely a lot of times after a what seems to be a winning shot. I get caught pretty badly if the shuttle still comes back.
    - Too many unforced errors right at the return of serve

As a side note, I've spent the whole December at my parents-in-law in Mexico without an actual badminton court or opponent to practice (but with sensational climate compared to the german winter…:p). I've spent quite a lot of time with doing footwork drills, all sorts of jumps and shadow badminton in their backyard (I left the lawn in a disastrous condition...). Hence the shot precision and touch is lacking a little - not that this should be an excuse for the high number of more or less unforced errors... :oops:

All of your feedback is highly appreciated! :)

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Quick coupe of points based on the first ~7 minutes:
    - When you go for a shot in your backhand corner, a) use the forehand more (jump into flat shots, move into higher ones, you use the backhand without needing to a couple of times) and b) when you move there, turn around further, i.e. have your right shoulder and hips point backwards or even into the corner (watch LCW for great movement into that corner - dont copy his jump, you wont be able to, but the hip and shoulder orientation is pretty great ;) ). You'll get better movement (further distance with 2 steps) and more upper body rotation through your shot that way.
    Examples: 1:15 unnecessary backhand, 1:52 not turning around enough in your BH corner, 4:38 is on the edge of turning too little, 4:48 you do turn back your right side too little
    - Move more deliberately, as in, after playing a shot, dont shuffle into your base position with 3-6 tiny steps - recover with 1-3 steps, and try to do it quite slowly (saves energy) and time it so that you have little momentum into any one direction when you split step. Oh yeah, and try to split step more, and more clearly, but you mentioned that already :p Example for this would be 6:23, you dont move into quite the correct base position (too far in your forehand), and you dont really split step at all.
    Further examples: 1:28 missing split step, 2:30 wrongly timed split step, 4:19 missing split step on the last shot, 5:26 is an example where you do a tiny split step, but already have a very clear idea of where he's gonna play the shuttle and when he doesn't do it, you're screwed :D Quicker changes in direction will be achieved by lowering your stance, or really split stepping without any momentum and correct timing. Or both.

Also, your training partner remindes me of one guy in here:
    - a lost brother, perhaps? :D

Hope this helps. Keep in mind I'm trying to help, even though it may seem that I'm nitpicking with the many examples :D

A tip to improve your footwork that works for me: try to do it slowly (like in the popular Rasmussen video), with a slow recovery, but be very clear and deliberate in your movement to the corners. Take as few steps as possible (you should be tall enough to get to the front BH corner with 1 step, front FH 1-2) and walk back to your base with long, deliberate steps. No shuffling, clear rhythm. Unlike in the Rasmussen vid, I do it fully into the corner as it's not supposed to work on my stamina, but rather my footwork patterns. Oh, and unless you get a partner to play policeman (i.e. show you where to go), make sure you return to a completely neutral base position. The slower your return to the base, the longer you'll be able to keep it up - don't do it too quick and burn yourself out ;)
    Variations of this: get someone to do the policeman (you can change roles after 1min 3 or more times to make this a great training exercise for both). Either do it fast, so that the next sign comes just before the return to the base is completed (simulates movement in a rally better), or wait for the return to the base, then sign, and focus on maximum speed to the corner to work on quickness.
    NEVER forget the split step in these. It's vital. It should get to a point where you unconsciously split steps every time you change direction on court and every time your opponent hits the shuttle, even if you continue your movement w/o changing direction.

Advanced variation: get your partner to feed you the shuttle into all 4 (or 6, the additional 2 being BH and FH in the middle, basically a smash defense) corners whilst you play only into the one where they're standing. 1 minute, then either change or rest 30sec. 3-5 sets. Your lungs should burn. :D
    Even more advanced: play a set, one has the whole court, one can only play to one area (front court - service line+1 racket length; back court - base line+1 racket head+1 racket length, no smash). Mark areas with shuttles. It's also a great way to test and improve your frustration tolerance - we did it in training on Tuesday, took all I had to stay patient. Since we had a larger group we had additional motivation - the one front court player to allow his partner the most points had to do twice those points in pushups (or 20). Some front players got fairly mean :D

s_mair likes this.
  13. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Hey, if I wanted to have someone blowing sugar up my butt, I wouldn't post this in here. :p So thanks a lot for spending these 7 Minutes of your life (plus the writing)! Really good input. Especially concerning my movement to the BH corner - I was very mad about the high number of mistakes I made from there during the whole 5 games we were playing that day. Looking at the examples, I'm definitely not turning the shoulder far enough towards the corner and/or missing some flexibility to bend the back.

Funny you mention this specific drill. We do this from time to time (we call it "king and worker"), but mostly limit it to 3 corners. Still, the burning lungs are pretty much guaranteed.
    I will love to giver your "more advanced" version a shot. Sounds like a lot of "fun". :D

Mate, that resemblence is almost scary. :eek:

14. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

Student
    Ok @s_mair I'm going to do my usual list here.

Footwork:
    You seem to have the foundation of your footwork and some confidence in it, you have a good idea of what movements you should be doing, but you aren't always executing on them.
    ....1) Split step, it's not always quite there. A bounce is fine, the split doesn't have to be high, it just has to get your feet into a 'runner's start' position.
    ....2) At the moment, your defensive stance is very narrow. Your feet should be 1.5-2x shoulder width apart. Load your feet ready to move, your feet should be putting some pressure towards the middle, i.e., your right foot is putting pressure to move to the left. This will help you spring out and reach difficult blocks. A lack of this can be seen at around the 6 minute mark, your opponent smashes, but your racket foot doesn't even step out to retrieve it. You end up leaning across.
    ....3) As has already been said by others, your return towards the middle is a bit messy. Don't suddenly start your next movement until your opponent has hit the shot, keep moving back towards the centre calmly.

Shots and racket skills:
    Your racket skills from the rear court are good, but I'm seeing lots of gaps the closer we get to the net.
    ....1) Most notably, your serve is very shallow on long serves. While this is working at your current skill level, it is absolutely vital that your long serve can go very high and drop vertically. (Just a side note, I used to win a lot of points off of serves when I played right handed; I could get my long serve to almost touch the ceiling and land down right on the back line - it makes people hesitant to attack it for a number of reasons.)
    ....2) Same as above with lifts, at the moment you're making good use of flat lifts to apply movement pressure, but a high lift for defensive purposes seems completely absent from your game.
    ....3) Currently, you do not make good use of body rotation in your shots. While the upper half of your body seems to try to move around, the lower half doesn't want to go anywhere. I would thoroughly recommend you practise your kick through as you play shots. This will also tie in to footwork and recovery. At around 5:45 you play a forehand shot, but as you do the left side of your body rotates backwards, rather than your right side rotating forwards. While we sometimes do this on our deep backhand side/round the head position, this is certainly sub-optimal for the forehand side.
    ....4) I noticed you are trying to play your dropshots almost like a push, where you just stop your racket dead. While this can work, it is less reliable than a full stroke/hit. I would recommend you practise some drop shots where you slice across the shuttle a bit. This is best learned by slowing down your smash, and you should eventually feel how to rotate your racket across the shuttle to get it to drop reliably into the forecourt with speed.

Tactics and application in play:
    ....1) There is a distinct lack of variation in your game at the moment. You do not make strong use of a variety of shots. If I were playing against you, I would almost certainly live in the mid court, playing you to the net to force lifts. You do not seem confident in your abilities at the net and seem to shy away. At around the 4:45 mark, you try to play a net shot, but almost immediately try to retreat from the net.
    ....2) While the width of the court is generally utilised, the length doesn't seem to be used well. This applies to both you and your partner. You're both retrieving shots in the rear court from, and in front of, the doubles service line. (Just a side note here, I may be mistaken and it's really hard to tell from a video, but I think the shuttles you're using are on the slow side.)
    ....3) You need to give yourself some more room for shot accuracy. Right now you're over doing a lot of your shots, especially lifts, by trying to be incredibly precise to that corner. Aim a little more into the court, you'll find it a lot more reliable. The difference between it landing on the line, and 6 inches into the court from the line - not a big deal. Hitting it out and losing the rally on it though? That's a bit of a problem.

Overall I think you've improved quite a bit from your last video, I hope you find this feedback helpful and hope you continue to improve!

AimUk and s_mair like this.
  15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Lots and lots of good observations and advice, thanks a lot Charlie!

Not to take this as a major excuse, but this specific hall lacks at least 2-3 m of height compared to our regular club venue. Hence we had so many rallies that we had to replay because of the shuttle touching the ceiling or those stupid venting pipes in the beginning , that it almost became a second nature for us to play serves and lift more shallow than usual. But apart from that, you are absolutely right that a) my serve needs to become more precise and b) that I prefer flat lifts to high ones. :)

Believe it or not, it's currently my #1 goals shot wise to improve the faster drop shots from the back court. At my current level, it can be a true game changer in singles if you're able to hit safe, consistent, well placed and fast drop shots with decent deception. I'm working on that, so hopefully you will notice some improvements next year. ;)

Yeah, I'm not the biggest friend of the net. Maybe that's a leftover from playing mostly doubles for several years, but I feel a certain blockage to answer a decent net shot with a another one - and maybe even another one afterwards. Having no partner behind me to cover the back court for flicks and somehow expecting the opponent to pounce on loose net shots at the same time is just scary. :confused:

Shuttle was borderline okay, but on the slower side I would say. But a very good point to aim more into the court instead of trying to hit the corner as precise as possible. This goes in line with the tactical observation made in the parallel thread. Watching this video and other against the same opponent, I notice more and more how much trouble it can cause if the shuttle goes a) right in the middle of the court or b) half way to the corner. The movement to reach those shuttles is more awkward and somehow less practised than fully reaching the corner.

16. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

Student
    @s_mair (I don't really wanna quote the enormous amounts we've posted haha)

I think the first and foremost thing you could do to improve your play, is some net drills. Place a tube behind the service line, so you have to move back to the centre. Practise split stepping, and playing a net shot. If you have someone who can feed for you for a while, then even better. This tackles:
    - Widening your stance
    - Split step consistency
    - Net shots
    - Forecourt recovery movements

It's quite a bit easier to do this and build up some of these movements than it is in the rear court. Full multifeeds would surely be beneficial to you, but they're tiring, and it's hard to get a partner for them. Net drills can be done in 10 minutes. Do 20-30 shuttles at a time, and then swap over.

s_mair likes this.
  17. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

I'd like to echo what j4ckie and Charlie have both said. You need to create more of a controlled look to your game if you worked on some solid movement routines. If you look at a lot of your moving & hitting, you're not relying on your legs to get to the shuttle, but you are reaching away from you as much as possible in order not to have to move.

It's all in the loading and certainty of what your legs should be doing to move around the court.

There are other areas to work on but I think this would progress your game much further than everything else at the moment, because you have the strength and condition for it by the looks of it.

s_mair likes this.
  18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Thanks for the encouraging words, mate! I now know where to set my next priorities! The Rasmussen drill clip is already bookmarked.

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Mixed doubles! Since it is my somewhat weaker discipline, I'd be grateful for tips on how to improve, observations of weaknesses/bad habits/bad tactical choices.
    Before you ask, I am not injured or anything - I simply wear all that stuff on my legs because the venue was ice cold....13°C to be precise. :D

20. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

@j4ckie I was a joy to watch. I'm not at your level, so I'm IMO not in the position to give you any tips. You played last time against a different male/same female. IMO this game was greater to watch, because the last male didn't challenge you much.

j4ckie likes this.