Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Price of foreign centre too high (??)

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Simp84, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    theStar 12th July 06

PETALING JAYA: Former national athletes and the public have questioned the need to build a RM490mil sports training centre in London.

Many readers who responded to an online poll on the matter questioned the need for the centre as it came with a high price tag.

“Why waste RM500mil?” said reader F. Ahmad, who argued that African countries have athletes who do well in major sporting events such as the Olympics without such a dedicated training centre.

Jasmine of Petaling Jaya argued that the overhead costs incurred for the long-term maintenance of the centre would be “huge.”

“To justify the overall cost, how many athletes would we need to send for cold climate training?” she asked.

Reader Azlina suggested the money be used to build facilities, and equip and train athletes locally instead, so that “more could be trained here.”

“European countries don’t build sports training centres in Asia for their athletes to adapt to the hot and humid climate, but they still do well,” said V. Suresh of Seremban.

Other readers felt that the performance of Malaysian athletes in the region did not justify such a project.

“We can’t even perform well or win regularly enough in Asia. Why bother training for winter sports?” said reader Sam.

Overall, readers felt that the cost of the centre far outweighed the potential benefits derived from having it.

Badminton great Datuk Eddy Choong said though the intention was good, there were loopholes in the proposal by Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Azalina Othman Said to build the centre as a “forward-base” for athletes.

“From an economic point of view, it is a very expensive place to train athletes as the exchange rate is nearly seven times more than the ringgit and the cost of living is three times higher than in Malaysia.
    “Secondly, are there enough athletes who can make it big internationally? It would be better to send them to China for training where the cost of living is lower.”

Choong said the most value for money in terms of sports technology transfer would be to import the best coaches here and to get Malaysian coaches to learn from them.

Former national athletics coach Datuk Nashatar Singh said he is against the proposal if it is going to cost RM490mil as reported.

“However, if athletes must go overseas, they should be there for two to three years at least. They should also equip themselves with knowledge so they will not have difficulty finding a job once their sporting life is over,” he said.

“Some athletes who have been sent overseas wanted to come home after two weeks because they could not adjust.”
    He said there was also no single place where athletes can gain complete exposure.

“If you want the best in throwing sports, the Eastern Bloc is the place, while America is the best place for sprints,” he said.
    Nashatar said the Government should consider setting up training centres in Cameron Highlands.

Ten-time national taekwondo champion and 1986 Asian Games silver medallist R. Selvamuthu said there was no need for such a centre as Malaysia already had good facilities.

“Bring the good coaches here rather than send our athletes over. That would be better and the athlete could concentrate fully in training as their family and friends are around.”

But badminton supremo Datuk Punch Gunalan, a lone supporter of the initiative, said the cost of the centre was secondary to the motivation for the project.

“It is good news for Malaysian sports, not only badminton but for other sports as well. It is a positive idea and I fully support it,” he said.

However, some high-ranking sports officials, who declined to be named, questioned the cost effectiveness of such a project like the start-up costs and the operating point of view.

2. ksooi

ksooi Regular Member

Entreprenuer
    The Malaysian government just wont learn.....IBF just recently moved their HQ from UK to KL and now the Malaysian govt wants to build a sports training centre there.....and I do believe that Datuk Punch Gunalan was instrumental in moving IBF to KL....so I wonder if he realy knows wht he is talking about.....maybe he should get IBF to move back to UK first before supporting the idea.....

Definitely this initiative is a waste of taxpayers money.....whoever came out iwith the idea ought to be shot....the money could be better served by improving the poor public transport infrastucture..... furthermore we already have the Bukit Jalil sports complex which can cater for all the different sports....

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    For me i might as well build it in Msia.

4. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    To ksooi : In my opinion there is almost no feasible way of improving the public transport system in malaysia particularly KL. If that were to materialise, we'd need to level the enter city of KL and start a fresh.

5. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    Reading this article really fires me up
    To spend rediculous RM490Mil on something that will never achieve anything, this is pure corruption and the government just want to build it for the sake of making commision out of it
    The entire country is already suffering, there are tons of people living in poverty and yet they can afford to do all these nonsense..
    And the worst is Punch Gunalan for supporting this nonsense.. like I mention before, I believe he wants to engage in politics, therefore he made this pro government statement in order to please them and climb into politics

6. ksooi

ksooi Regular Member

Entreprenuer
    If there is no way to improve it does it make it right to splash the money for something that is not going to improve Malaysian sports anyway?

7. ksooi

ksooi Regular Member

Entreprenuer
    You are absolutely right.....someone's pocket must be growing thin for them to come out with the idea.....we already have the National Sports Complex in Bukit Jalil which is supposedly to be world class in its facilities.....so by embarking on that ridiculous project, is the government trying to say that once again the NSC will be a white elephant?....i don't even think we should be building another sports complex which is usually under utilised but should be spending the money for better use to serve the public.....whether is be for public transport, infrastructure or even grassroots sports development which i think is severely lacking in Malaysia.......Sheby Singh's MyTeam concept proved that.....we have loads of sports talent which have not been uncovered in Malaysia.....instead of investing in a foreign country, we should be investing in our own backyard first........

8. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    I never said it wasn't right or wrong. I took this as a chance to finally vent out something about KL's poor infrastructure :D.

Like most experts in this field and the public say, why not build it in M'sia. Do it at cameron highlands if they want this "high altitude training" or what not. Saves money and stuff :D.

9. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    it's silly to spend so much...

Why can't we co-op with another national Association ?? We did that in the last All England where BAofE hosted us. I'm sure we could have returned the favour by hosting them when they are here.

Silly plan!

10. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    yep.. white elephant.. thats the word I am looking for!
    Seriously this country is hopeless already, so many people are poverty stricken, it was Najib that snake that approve of this nonsense (hope he get sack by Pak Lah soon)
    So many crooks, Gunalan supporting this hinting that he might have some share of the money with the rest of the crooks
    Even with the world's greatest facilities and coaches, if the athletes have lousy attitudes and no commitment they can go fly kite, its a waste of time and public money

11. ksooi

ksooi Regular Member

Entreprenuer

well the reason they cant co-op with BAofE coz its not only badminton thats involved:D .......unfortunatley our facilities provided by BAM is not exactly on par with those provided by BAofE for that matter......i think in a couple of years we will lose out to our old nemesis Singapore in badminton :eek: .....SBA has really been getting their act together.....I think its high time the Malaysian government really hire professionals to improve the standard of sports in Malaysia......

12. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Bukit Jalil not up to par with BAofE facilities???? Majlis Sukan Negara building right next door to BJ is also very comfy. My orang putih (White Men) friends would not agree with you. Plus, wouldn't English players savour the chance to train side by side Malaysian Players??? That's the reason we were so wellcomed the first place isn't it?

The idea is short term assignments. e.g. go to UK say 3 weeks before to climatize, then go on the few connecting grand prix tournaments. Rest at England in between. how hard can it be???

Badminton is only 1 example, other sports, their president & our sports minister will have to put their thinking cap on. Why are we giving our tax money to them if they don't think but come up with these ludacriz :p ideas?

& why do you limit your thinking to one single sport itself? we can host them badminton here, and they can host our swimming team there. Just need the diplomatic brains & velvet love to get things done.

the Borneon BaddyNut

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    If for marketing purposes, Instead of building it In London, might as well build one next to Madison Square Garden in NY. That will definately attract people.

14. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    true.. and US exchange rate is way better compared to UK

15. ksooi

ksooi Regular Member

Entreprenuer
    Hahaha....when you compare the facility of BAofE in Milton Keynes and that of BAM at Kiara :eek: then you would knw the difference:rolleyes: ....BAM moved to bukit jalil coz the facility ther is so much better.....when i talk about facilities, i am talkin of everything from food ,accomodation, toilet, gym, spa eg. the works......in fact, a few players including LCW have been injured since moving to Bukit Jalil coz the courts there are too hard......

Of coz a lot of the european players would look foward to spar with our malaysian team......i mean some of them would probably pitch tent to just be able to enjoy the experience :D .....who wouldnt?......i would :p

I also prefer not to involve politics with sports.......there is already enough of it in Malaysia......the reason why we give them all this tax payers money is because the cabiniet approves it.....we have had politicians running sports for too long in malaysia....we really need to hire professional sports management people to be involved.....

hahaha.....i don't think buliding alll this things are due to marketing purpose.......might as well build it in china then.....even better exchange rates :D :D :D

16. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Bukit Kiara sucks I agree. Bukit Jalil should be alot better. I'm surprised about the flooring you mentioned at BJ.

I must have mistaken KL standard for Sabah Standard ;) --> Sprung Timber Flooring :)
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20305
    we have things good here. Sabah is starting to make badminton waves haha

The Borneon BaddyNut

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    Please don't classify Singapore as "our old nemesis". Singapore is too small to make any significant impact. We are trying to learn from stronger badminton nations like China, Indonesia, Denmark and Malaysia. :)

18. ksooi

ksooi Regular Member

Entreprenuer

hehe...i tell u SBA is leaning fast...won't be long before they produce a world class player :D

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    Hi Borneon BaddyNut, do keep us updated on the baddy scene in Orang Utan country from time to time. :p

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It would be more informative if the originater of this thread gives some background about this so called Elite Sports Centre in London. I have heard that it has nothing to do with badminton. The Malaysian government owns a piece of land near the proposed 2012 Olympics site in London, and the Sports Ministry together with the Deputy Prime Minister are throwing up the idea of developing this piece of real estate for sporting use. It happens that the Ministry of Sports is eyeing this piece of land for sports. It is also possible that the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, or even other Ministries, might want a piece of the action. Each man (Ministry) for himself.
    Now, how does badminton get into this?