Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Prospeed question

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by jrong, May 10, 2007.

1. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    lol, now it's out :D
    ...you should've kept that technique a secret :p

I'd say any racquet is good enough for your baseline-to-baseline clears :)

2. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    hahahahaha. yeah, i confuse them with the swing and miss backhand stroke.

anyway, i know any racket can help but which would be, how should i say, more accomodating to my imperfect techniques. :D i am using a flexible and light racket now and sometimes the shuttle just dont go far enough and other times go too far. i know. i know. techniques right? but what if i cant afford a coach and i dont get to train certain shots, now which racket can help me in little ways? like a magic racket. hahahahahaha

3. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

You're feeling like you've 'outgrown' your Cab & ISO, huh...:cool:
    Erm...
    'Full-base' clears have more to do with stroke/technique than the racket (as pointed out by mod Oldhand)...;)
    I dunno about where you are, but was always under the impression that there were cheaper brands in Malaysia; like Proace, Apacs, Fleet, etc...:confused:
    Prospeeds are USD 50, which is abt SGD 75, or roughly 150 Ringgit. I think Apacs/Proace go for 100 Ringgit, yah?:)
    Don't get me wrong, I like the way my Prospeed Trueno Z6 play (all 4 of them). They work for me...:):)
    I'm just thinking that if price was the driving factor, there are cheaper alternatives available to you, Sis...:):):)

4. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    hehehehe....actually not outgrown. i seldom use my carb. it is more for warm up cause it is heavier. it is just that i have set aside some budget for a new racket next year and juat wanted to try a new racket with different characteristics as the one i have now. i wanted a yonex mp 29 light and since that would cost me around RM160 anyway, so i thought maybe i would give prospeed a try. i want to try apacs and proace but none of the models reviewed in this forum can be found. the ones i found are different models and numberings that i dont know anything about like stiffness and such. and i know technique should be the one to work on for those weak aspects of my game but you know, if the racket have better repulsion maybe it would help me out a bit. :D

5. babbitt

babbitt Regular Member

Hi, punchclear, thanks for the info.

I notice you play with Prospeed Z6. By the specs, that is a light (85g), and head light (balance 280) racquet. Is that your impression of the racquet? That would make it a good racquet for a "control/placement" style of play, right?

jrong was saying her Z6 is equivalent to the 1022, but I don't think that can be the case. The 1022 is a super light (82g) but very head heavy racquet (balance 300 by the specs I saw). The description seemed to say that was for "smashing all the time." I would think it would feel and play very differently from a Z6.

#25 babbitt, Dec 14, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  6. punchclear

Sis,
    'Sniff' around and let me know what models you find. I'll try to find out about them, so it can help in your selection. No worries...;)
    It's good to have options. Right now you have; (1) Yonex MP29-L, (2) Prospeed. Explore the third option (from your local baddie-shops), since they're there...:)
    Don't rush into it...;):)

Hi babbit,
    Not exactly head-light (although I thought so too at first)...:confused:
    I find them to be more even-balanced (not just because it's labelled as such on the shaft)...:eek:
    Even so, I (personally) find the racket 'quick' & maneuverable, which helps with flicks, blocks & net-drops.:cool:
    The shaft is med-flexible (not stiff), making it easy to 'whip' when hitting smashes, drives and clears.:)
    I am not your 'typical' smash-based/hard-hitting/aggressive-attacker kinda player, more of a 'counter-attacker' than anything else.:eek:
    I'll say this...
    I got lucky, because the Z6 works and suits me well...:):):)
    Hope this helps...:D:D:D

7. babbitt

babbitt Regular Member

I appreciate the info on your experience with the Z6. My playing style is more like yours, so perhaps a Z6 would work well for me also.

So 280 balance is more of an "even balance." That means balance would have to be 275 or less to be "head light" I guess. I noticed also that Yonex does not make the MP66 (head light balance) anymore. Most racquets for sale now seem to be even balance, or else head-heavy for the smashers. I wonder if modern badminton play is making the "head light" racquet obsolete. Maybe the racquets are getting so light overall that an even balance is quick and maneuverable enough--so people can go with even balance and have some ability to hit hard also...

8. babbitt

babbitt Regular Member

azabaz_ipoh, for more power, there are few things to look for in your next racquet:
    1) a stiffer frame (but watch out for too stiff: then control will suffer). 2) an even balance or even head-heavy racquet (the momentum of the racquet then helps the power, but too much head heavy will make the racquet harder to control). 3) restringing with a slightly lower tension (so the string-spring gives a little more to the shot, but again, less precise control).

You can read more at the Prospeed.com site. They have a discussion of how to choose a racquet more suited to you. If you can't find enough info on the web about certain racquets, salespeople at any of the good shops can help you look at different racquets too. If you can't get to a shop, call an on-line one. They want satisfied customers, so they won't steer you wrong. (Here in USA, for example, I called SanDiegoBadminton, and got good help talking about the different racquets they sell.)

As you will find, though, with most adjustments in racquets there is a trade-off between power and control. The better racquets supposedly maximize both, though.

As far as technique goes, with your current racquet (and I can say this because I have a light weight, flexible, and "head light" racquet for my control style of game):

4) set up with a "sideways" body before your clear attempt--as if you were throwing a ball.
    4.5) racquet arm elbow forward as you start your shot
    5) meet the shuttlecock at 1:00 (above and IN FRONT of you slightly).
    6) plenty of wrist action to add "smash" to the drives.
    7) body and arm need to follow through the shot to complete the power transfer. your racquet leg should end up in front of you somewhat, and you racquet arm will probably have crossed over the front of you with a full follow through.

Since you don't have a coach, also check out illustrated technique web sites. Confession: I don't have a coach either--everything I just said is from web sites and a few well-meaning fellow players! So, let's not pretend I am an expert or anything.

Good luck!:)

#28 babbitt, Dec 14, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  9. punchclear

Hi babbitt,
    I guess there's a really fine line between head-light & even-balance for rackets. So fine that we can't quite tell where it lies...:eek::confused:
    Yup, MP66 is out of production, although 'existing' stock is still available in some places...;)
    I really shouldn't comment about, "Most racquets for sale now...". I'm so new to this game that only a few racket-models are 'new-er' than me...:eek:
    While balance point plays a part in the maneuverability of a racket, I think that x-section ('box' or 'aero') is a determinant factor as well.;)
    Ultimately, 'hitting' has a lot to do with head-speed.:cool:
    I'm sure that there's a whole load of Physics that goes into this, much of which many of us wouldn't grasp all that well...:eek::eek:
    But I am grateful that I've come into the game at a time when rackets are;
    (1) lighter (the only rackets heavier than 3U that I've swung are Training Rackets)
    (2) more technologically advanced (I've never even played a Cab 8)
    (3) more reliable & consistent
    than ever before (I hope...):):):)

It does sound like the Z6 might be what you're looking for...;)
    I found them fairly easy to adapt to (I moved on to them from a 4U Proace Nano 90 Speed)...:D:D:D

10. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    thank you very much for your feedback. it is good to have options but i guess too many options will confuse me. hehehe. nonetheless, i will try to find out the models of the apacs and pro ace rackets that i found. i dont intend to rush since i have decided to buy the racket next year. so i have a month or so to sniff around....:D

11. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    thanks babbitt, i will try your suggestions. :D i guess i am on a right path since the racket i am looking for is medium stiff and even balance as opposed to the current flexible ones i have. :) the stringing tension, i am still experimenting.

12. punchclear

Cool...:cool:
    You're on the right track, IMHO...:)

13. ilovedude

ilovedude Regular Member

Prospeed

Hi,
    Just wonder does the racket come with the string or is it carrying additional charge ? thanks

14. punchclear

Pre-strung with Prospeed Strings (that's how mine came) at (what felt like) 24lbs of tension.
    Hope this helps...:)

15. babbitt

babbitt Regular Member

Prospeed is a good affordable racquet

Don't know if anyone is still watching this thread....but:

I just received a couple of Prospeed racquets by post.
    I bought a Truena series Z1 and a Z3. 118.00US for the two, including shipping. (59.00us per racquet, therefore)

These are very nice racquets for the money. Nanotechnology. The Z1 is lightweight (82g plus grip and strings) and easy to maneuver. Good power and control.

The Z3 is a little heavier than the Z1 (88g, plus grip and strings). Too heavy for me, really, but other players I let try it like it. They don't want such a light racquet for themselves.

I have been playing with a Yonex MP66, and either of these Prospeed racquets compares well to it (but about half the price). They have about the same weight and medium flex. All have even balance. Z1 is slightly head-heavy. Z3 more even. MP66 slightly head-light.

The only odd thing was the Z1 and Z3 were strung slightly different patterns. I am not sure that was intentional...
    I know some folks restring them with Ashaway, and they say that works very well.

Overall, excellent value for the money. I recommend them highly. Prospeed offers 6 racquets that are heavier, some that are lighter, and various balances. They also have the new Z7 oval head for folks that want the traditional shape; mid-flex, even balance.

Check them out at the Propseed site!

16. punchclear

Hi babbitt,
    It's good to hear that you like your new racquets.:)
    Enjoy...:D

17. mchatni

mchatni New Member

prospeed racquets

Dear All,

Does anyone what tension strings the Prospeed manufacturers use in their racquets. I looked through their website and could not find any details about the string tension.

Thanks,

Rameez

18. babbitt

babbitt Regular Member

String tension answer

Yes, I inquired directly after receiving a Z1 and a Z3 from Chau Yap at Badminton-Information.com.

The racquets come with Prospeed strings with tension
    Main 23lb
    Cross 25lb

I think Punchclear has said that he restrung his with Ashaway, and likes that combination. Punchclear: what string model and tension did you start with on your restring?

#38 babbitt, Feb 23, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  19. babbitt

babbitt Regular Member

Limited Trueno and 10 series Stock & NEW SERIES in April 2008

Also learned from Adam at Prospeed and from Chau Yap at Badminton-Information that there are few of the old series racquets remaining.

They have Trueno Z3's (3U/2U even balance, isometric, med flex)
    and plenty of the newer Z7's (4U/3U even balance, oval head, med flex)

They also have some 1033's and 1099's, I think.

A new series, Prospeed Predator, is under development, and should be available by April 2008 if all goes well. Few details other than they are using "40tonne and 50tonne graphite."

I imagine, though, that the balance and weight selection of previous series will be similar in this series--5 to 7 isometric and widebody models from 3U to 2U, 280-290 balance points.

I hope they are planning another oval head like the Trueno Z7. I have only isometric racquets so far (Z1, Z3, and a Yonex MP66). Prospeed's 49.00 price point and 4U/3U weighting makes trying an oval more affordable and appealing than springing for a $100, 2U Cab 21.

Has anyone in this thread tried their Z7 oval by the way?

#39 babbitt, Feb 23, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  20. punchclear

I restrung all 4 of my Truenos (Z6) with (pre-stretched) Ashaway Micropower (0.66mm).
    1 at 25 x 27.5 lbs and the other 3 at 26 x 29 lbs.
    Worked well for me, I liked it...:)

(I've switched to playing AT700 strung with BG80 since then, though...)