Racket suggestion for small girl, small boy & teenager

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Skanbuzz, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi,

Q1) What racket would you suggest for a girl (8-9yrs old), height: 1.24m, small build, starting badminton 1st time? Please give brand, model, specification & reasoning or experiences

Q2) What racket would you suggest for a boy (10-11yrs old), height:1.40m, small build, fast feet, good coordination & can play generally? Please give brand, model, specification & reasoning or experiences

Q3) What racket would you suggest for a boy (12-15yrs old), height: 1.5 - 1.8m, average build,strong shoulder, general coordination is alright, footwork a bit slow, energetic & can play? Please give brand,model, specification & reasoning or experiences.

Q4) What racket would you suggest for a girl (12-17 yrs old), height: 1.4-1.8m, average build, generall coordination is just alright, footwork slow, not as energetic but can play? Please give brand, model, specification & reasoning or experiences.

Thank you in anticipation of a lively suggestion
    Maybe as the contribution get bigger, someone with capable IT knowledge may want to gather the recommendation with future update opportunity as new model emerge.
    I would like to ask the same on shoes too but not sure this is the right place to post.

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Are these people trying to play serious or just for fun?

3. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    For Yonex,

I would suggest anyone who's above 10 and under the height of 1.40m to use basic series or isometric as they are just starting badminton and they are mostly practicing movements and all the basic theories (I'm just making assumptions). Those who are under 10 should consider playing with Junior series racquets (short racquet for increase movement of racquet, and less weight for faster body movement).

Those who have experience with badminton, can play generally well, and know their style of playing, I would think Muscle Power 45 (for defensive), Carbonex 30 Muscle (for balanced style), and Armortec 700 (for offensive and heavy smashers) are your selection of racquets from Yonex.

This is solely personal opinions and I've only had past experience with these racquets.

Note: Different people with different body structures handles racquets differently. Best bet is to let them try/demo racquets and allow them to select the one that suits them the most. Also, as you play more, you gain experience and your style may interchange.

Thanks, hope it helps!~

PS: I'm very strict on children using expensive racquets, so I tend to keep the budget as low as possible and not compromising their badminton experience. Also, Victor produces very nice racquets. You may ask Victor experts too~

#3 Gemcat, Sep 18, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  4. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi

Let say it is not for fun.
    It will be difficult to say whether it is serious or not but
    if their parents drove to the gym, to drop them for the junior session and they turn up two weeks in a roll, my guess I can consider them serious.

With children as youg as 9yrs old, they could change their mind too.

In anycase, what rackets would be suitable if a child who turn up and hope to play.

I think the budget consideration should be taken into account.
    Some parents are willing to spend on a "good" racket for their child but obviously, we do not wish them to spent on a pro end Yonex and it would not have make any differences on their playing or coaching. "Good" not necessary expensive or latest.

Assu ming we can suggest two categories
    A) Budget
    B) Racket that can last & improve

Gemcat,
    When you mentioned Isometric series, which model would you suggest? why?

Thanks

What recommendation on:
    A) Budget end
    B) Reasonably serious
    C) Those who are serious enough to want improvement

5. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    If you are looking at Yonex then any low end MP racket is fine. You can also buy 2 apacs rackets on ebay for ~$60USD.

6. Sasho

Sasho Regular Member

Where I play, many parents take their children to play with them. I've seen kids between 5-8 playing with normal lenght rackets -- and it is obviously no problem for them. Junior rackets are for kids under 5 -- that's what I think.

Buy several different rackets and make these children try each of them -- they will find what they like best.

7. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi phandrew,
    Thanks for the feedback, which Apacs rackets would you suggest? Any reasons?

I think some of the adult(normal) length rackets maybe too long for the younger or smaller kids, as Gemcat suggested, the short/junior version would be appropraite. Once they are bigger, they can also be rewarded with an adult size racket (great for encouragement and inspire them to achive the next level)

In tennis, they have 23inches, 25 & 26 before the 27 or 27.5 inches of the adult size.
    Obviously in tennis weight is also a factor.

What about Badminton?

I am inviting suggestions so we might be able to point parents in the right direction or range & let them decide themselves.
    As from the coach/teaching point of view, any coaches can give guidance?

8. Sasho

Sasho Regular Member

Short rackets are pointless!
    Because they are the same weight, but... shorter :D
    With normal lenght rackets these kids will be able to do more. Not smashes ofcourse, but better clears and drops. It is simple physics. They will reach more, have more power and so on...
    And a normal racket will not harm or injur them (see the beginning of this post), or affect their movement. There is nothing wrong with normal lenght rackets for grown-up shilds (8 and more years old).

About the new racket being a motivation -- NO! NO! NO! It should not be a motivation to play badminton....

However...

9. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Sorry for the slow reply.

The Isometric I have played with is the Isometric 24 VF. Since the racquet is in the lower-end of the line, the weight is 2U (90-94.9g). This racquet is made out of graphite so it's not as heavy as other steel racquets. However, compared with other higher-end ones, this racquet is very heavy. Note that the Isometric should be mainly used for starters to practice. If they (either starters or junior) want to participate in a game, I suggest they switch to Carbonex 8000 Light because the shoulder and arm joints will sore if they were to use Iso 24 VF.

The number of racquets to be purchased is dependant on your need and number of students under you.

Thanks~

10. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi,

Gemcat, Thanks for the suggestion.
    I think your suggestion is genuine and very practical & yet do not break the bank
    To start training etc, we can suggest the 24VF to my group Q3 & Q4
    Maybe even Q2
    In fact Q3 &Q4 may even go better
    Quantities will depend on number of children & budget.

I am hoping for suggestion to list out the range of suitable racket so the parents can decide for themselves

Hi Sasho,

I do not agree with your 2nd point, Even when you watch programme where they teach parents how to control difficult children, they use a simple tactic, REWARD when it is good & administer punish for bad behaviour (Not necessary heavy punishment)

Even when training animals, you practice the same principle.
    In the adult world, we use "Bonus" or "Promotion"

They will have something to look forward to and a reward of a new racket(adult) is only a small reward because they grow and you will probably have to give them a racket somewhere along the line.

I can understand your point that the weight probably do not differ much between a short racket & adult racket.

It is my group Q1 and maybe Q2 are the my concern. Should I recommend a short racket to start off with.

I would like feedback from others, maybe coaches & parents etc.

How about other brand rackets recommendation?

Thanks

11. Burger_King

Burger_King Regular Member

nothing at the moment
    Go with a full length racket. I know a kid thats about 4 feet tall, and uses a full length.

12. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Don't go with short rackets because they are made out of metal so that means it weighs just the same as a full length racket that is graphite.

13. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi,

I think if the kids are able to cope with a full size racket, we should recommend one too, that is why Group Q3 & Q4 is very much a full size racket but any suggestion of made, model & reason?

It is the younger ones which we are considering at the moment.
    You see them holding a full size racket & you know something is not quite right or balance

it could be

a) Due to the length is too long. When serving, they hit the floor 1st before it hit teh shuttles or when swung it always hit the floor because the racket is too long

or

b) the weight might have hindered their movement. It could be the racket is too heavy for the girl body, frame shoulder or arm. she can't lift the racket high because it is to off balance/heavy or can't swing back or swing the racket properly

You know what I mean? seems to hold the racket down and in backhand position.

phandrew,

Why do you ask on another thread 11yrs old girl what type of racket she prefer? head light etc?
    Does that ahve any bearing in the 4 groups here?

which Apacs rackets would you suggest for each of the 4 groups

thanks

14. Burger_King

nothing at the moment
    For girl you should get her something that is bit heavier, but she can move around and probably a head light racket.

15. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi,

Did I misunderstood, why a bit heavier?

Why headlight too?

Or your rteasoning, please

Thanks

16. Burger_King

nothing at the moment
    Am just saying a racket that she can handle, a bit heavy but she can still use. To devolve the muscles in her forearm, for drives and lifts and stuff like that.

17. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi,

Head light racket means easier to move the racket around so the arms do not get tired easily, right?
    Head heavy racket tends to be good for Smasher or atatcking player (my understanding) so presumably headlight is good for general playinclusive lifting, serving hitting for a less strong person.

What about balance racket, what or how it contribute to the player?

What would be a good weight for a girl to start off with?

To all, what racket did you first start off with and why you discard it or what you like? Share those experiences with us.

Thanks
    ps Will a racket too light, difficult to generate power in hitting?

18. Burger_King

nothing at the moment
    get her a basic series yonex.

19. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Yonex basic series are metal rackets and are too heavy. No point getting them

20. Burger_King

nothing at the moment
    Well she does need to develop the muscle in her arm.