Scaring an opponent

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Monster, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Friends,

Have you ever tried scaring an opponent's team in a doubles match by appearing to maul like a tiger when your opponent is about to serve? It seems to work for me when I hold my racquet as if I am very prepared to smash the opponent's serving. When it works, it either makes the opponent serves high (tendency to serve too far beyond the line) or serves too soft and cannot reach the line or plainly hit the net.

Also, sometimes I perform dirty (not to mention unprofessional) tricks like warming up for a smash when he/she is about to serve by simply whipping my racquet hard before preparing for a supposedly-scaring/smashing position. Is this considered foul?

Gary0075 likes this.
  2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes, intentional distraction is a foul

3. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    You name is also "scaring". :D

4. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    i don't think this is a foul.

5. terry

terry Regular Member

I about to say that. He dun even do any post, he just tell his name :p

MY NAME IS MONSTER!!

*just joking :D

6. Monster

Monster Regular Member

So foul or not foul? I have mixed messages as well from the regulars I play with locally.

Some people argue that if that is to be fouled, then shouting "Out" to confuse your opponent when your shot returning to the opponent side should also be fouled. Or is that also really a foul? I found websites on rules of the game but no mention of such cheeky tactics and whether they are permitted under international rules.

Kamen, Terry,

Actually if you knew me, you'd have discovered that I'm quite gentle after all... he he

7. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

There is no doubt about it - your behaviour constitutes a fault under the laws of badminton.

"It is a fault ...
    13.5 if, in play, a player deliberately distracts an opponent by any action such as shouting or making gestures;"

This covers everything you have mentioned as you admit that the intent is to distract your opponent. There is nothing mixed about this message. Just read the laws properly.

This is true for every game of badminton at any level - not just professional or international matches.

Your name appears to describe very accurately your sporting conduct.

#7 CWB001, Mar 1, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  8. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    to me, whipping your racket before preparation, is not a foul.

9. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

It is a fault when it is done deliberately to distract his opponent as he is about to serve. He said this in his original post. This is not "before preparation".

It is a fault if done to distract at any time during a rally - even when preparing for your own shot. The law is very clear.

#9 CWB001, Mar 1, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  10. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Where do you get the rules (13.5???) ? I guess the "holding the racquet high and ready for smashing" is legal as it cannot prove that I am scaring my opponents because that could just well be the posture I'd like to have while waiting for my opponent's serve. But it does scare them and it works several times.

Any form of unobtrusive distract techniques worth sharing?

Pardon me for my name - just a random name used for registering. CW =coward? just kidding... he he

11. illGunning

illGunning New Member

what about shouting when you smash to kinda give urself that extra umph? is that counted as a distraction?

12. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

ANY noise or gesture, however subtle, if performed to distract your opponent, is a fault.

Your persistence in trying to find dodgy tactics does you no credit. Badminton is a sport that prides itself on good sporting conduct.

The laws are available on this site

13. Monster

Monster Regular Member

what is before preparation? before you even stand on the court?

what i meant actually was while i was about to get in position, i whip my racquet and then stand in the final position to receive the serve. it works psychologically, but should not distract my opponent (although it normally will).

Turn the table around, what if when I serve, I try make my opponent notice that i am looking at one side of his court but when i do serve, i serve the other way? It's less obvious, but still a distracting effort. hehehe... i dunno. please enlighten the monster..

14. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

No it is not as long as it is not done to deliberately cause a distraction.

15. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

You must play with some very poor players if they are distracted by what you describe there.

Deception - making the opponent think you are playing a shot you are not - is very much part of the game. If you can look at the short service line while successfully serving to the back line then good luck to you.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I like playing against people like monster. I take it as a test of mental ability. If I can control against such distractions, then psychologically, it's hurting the opponent. The opponent actually loses a small advantage and is under pressure to play consistently to win.

You can see some good players do this just by playing around. When they find they are losing against a lesser skilled but mentally strong opponent, they then start to buckle down. However, they have no rhythm and quite a few times, this leads to a win for the underdogs.

17. CarrotLegs

CarrotLegs Regular Member

Can you keep shaking ur racket high with a posture looking like ur gonna rush at the first short serve they do? I just want to know about the shaking of the racket. Plus in my opinion i feel like waving ur racket a few times before a serve should be ok =/ kinda like trying to get the feel of the game and ur racket.

18. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

It really is very simple. If you make any gesture or sound with the intention of distracting your opponent it is a fault.

19. CarrotLegs

CarrotLegs Regular Member

o so the racket shaking thing is illegal? i just know a person i play(who is significantly better than me) with do that sometimes.

20. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    If it's distracting to your opponents and they told you so, then you may have to stop doing it. Experienced players, on the other hand, would hardly be bothered by it. They'll move you around so much that you would hardly have time to even scare them. It's a non-issue for most players, so you might not get called on it.

Distracting or delibrately 'scaring' your opponents are acts of poor sportsmenship. One can be intimidating w/o all that extra stuff. Just look at the pros. If you're gonna take anything away from watching their games, it has gotta to be their sportsmenship and proper attitudes. That's probably the least difficult thing to emulate.