Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Servicing a Crank Lock Out Tensioner

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by R20190, Dec 4, 2012.

1. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Does anyone know how to service a Crank Lock Out Tenioner head?

I have a Eagnas Smart 808 6-point machine that has gradually started to lose it's consistency. When calibrating the tension with digital scales, I find that one test to another the tension can vary up to 0.5lb now. Sometimes a little more.

The tension seems to vary particularly when I crank the tensioner quickly or very slowly. I have noticed that the string clamp plates are not holding the string as well as used to too.

I am wondering if anyone on here knows how I can service the tensioner and hopefully resolve some of the problems I am experiencing?

Many thanks for any help in advance.

This is the machine I have:

http://www.eagnas.com/jpg/sm808a1.jpg

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Warehouse dogsbody, Stringer, Panda reseller,
    This is the nature of the beast with cranks, so it's not a calibration problem. The quicker you pull, the more the string will sag.

3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Thanks Mark, I did suspect this and have learnt to be more consistent when pulling. But I can't get my head around why this is.

Have you tried servicing a crank head and do you know how to make the gripper grip better? I've tried cleaning the plates but it seems it may be that the ball-bearings are shifting to one end and so the grip force is not as even.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I assume you've wound the limiter screw (back of the gripper plates, has a spring around it) all the way out. Failing this, there's not a lot to be serviced as far as the gripper plates go:).

You could always take them apart and clean the faces with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol - sometimes gunk can build up and impede grip.

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Yeah I've done this already. In fact I had to wind that screw all the way out from day one. So it's pretty useless unless I string tennis/squash racquets. There ought to be more adjustment.

I thought there may be parts that need periodic tightening etc. No probs, thanks anyway!

6. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    You could try putting some tape with a reasonably abrasive surface (think masking tape rather than electrical, for example) on the gripper plates to give a little more traction.

7. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I like it - thanks! But masking tape might wear out pretty quickly. I'll have a think.

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

How about sandpaper? I've seen Kwun use it when he strung with that piano wire:)

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I guess very fine wet & dry sandpaper may work but wouldn't there be a risk of damaging the string?

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If you compare it with how rough the gripper plates are, you should be absolutely fine:).

An alternative is a folded business card, but the string will "scorch" a groove in it after a while and it will need changing.