Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

seven-points system

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bluejeff, May 10, 2003.

1. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I was watching videos (downloaed from websites) for several matches, and I started to wonder one thing:

During the game, it's using 7-points system.......(it was a men's single)
    I thought the IBA rule is 15 points??:confused:

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    whoops, I meant IBF, not IBA

3. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I think only huge tournaments the 15 point rule applies. When I downloaded the '01 Indonesian open, it was 7 points.

Now someone has to confirm that. It would make sense though.

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    under the 7-points system, a set of a game could be finished in 15 minutes....that's really fast......

so weird....I guess I am used to the 15-points system then.

5. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    The IBF experimented with a 5x7 format for over a year, finally reverting back to the 3x15 format in Aug 2002. I can't remembered when they started using the 5x7 format but it was in 2001 so tournaments played during this period are all 5x7 including the 2002 Uber/Thomas Cup and I gotta say that it was really, really, really boring watching 7-pt games.

6. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Totally agree

7. Smilley

Smilley Regular Member

IT Sec
    All I can say is thank god it's back to the 15 point system.

8. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Yep. The '01 match I saw was boring. It's pretty boring playing 7 points as well. When I played a tourny game to 7, all I did was throw everything I got at him not worrying about endurance.

15 points is a whole different story. 15pts is very entertaining to watch too :D

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Disagree. I thought matches played over 5 games in TC/UC were more exciting.

If you look at past results more closely a match with 7 point games looks more close with 3-1 win in games than 15 point games and a 2-0 win

10. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Well, seems like it's all depends on the power for 7-point game.

The techniques are not that important in 7-point game....because all you need to do is to smash back the shuttle as much as you can.....and don't care about the strenth and energy....because it's only 7 points.

For 15 point game, you have to rely on the technique because it's longer and if you used up all your strenth and energy too quickly, you are in a big trouble.

I think I have seen more smashes in 7pt than in 15pt games for above reasons.

11. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.

Fastest set played I ever saw was 5 mintues... but that was 1 game only. Not 5 sets...

Anyway I don't enjoy playing such short games... Because I usually start to catch up to the opponent when he/she reaches about 7 or 8... although I'm a girl I play 15 points all the time... I prefer it compared to 11... 4 points make a world of difference you know. :)

12. modious

modious Regular Member

As WWC said, there was a period of time whereby all tournaments (between 2001-2002) were using the 5x7 points format.

And I agree with Cheung that for the TC 2002, the MS matches were very exciting using the 3x7 points system.

Both has its strong points. I believe many people feel that 3x7 points system is more exciting in a way because it's more explosive. 3x15 is more technical and tactical. I though that 5x9 might be better.... total no. of points is same as 3x15 and even though 2 points doesn't seem much, it all adds up. But then again, IBF has tried it out before in the 1990s and apparently it didn't work out.

#12 modious, May 11, 2003
    Last edited: May 11, 2003
  13. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Maybe I should watch the TC matches as when I was watching the UC matches, I fell asleep! I found the matches to be boring because most of the time, the score was 5-0 or 6-0 by the time, the other player warmed up.