Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Shuttlecock Guide?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Charlie-SWUK, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

Student
    Hey BCers - especially [MENTION=1]kwun[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7]Cheung[/MENTION]

I'm proposing we make a shuttlecock guide. The guide should detail:
    - Name of shuttle (I.E Yonex AS 30)
    - Country reviewed
    - Source of purchase listed
    - Pictures of new shuttles (preferrably two or three shuttles) showing feather quality and consistency
    - Flight quality (speed and trajectory [rating out of 10])
    - Durability (measured with games played/level of use/doubles or singles [rating out of 10])
    - Cork quality, including cover and tape (picture of whole cork and dissected cork [rating out of 10])
    - Overall shuttle quality (Rating out of 10)
    - Value based on the above factors (Rating out of 10)

The thread should be a pure guide dedicated to shuttles, without comments. Each shuttle should have its own post. The opening post should have an index of reviewed shuttles for quick reference. I suspect people on BC would be able to provide reviews very promptly, and I feel like a thread with this information in would be very useful.

I understand there'd be a great deal of subjectivity involved in this, but posts could always be ammended or appended as per necessary at a later date - say a shuttle changes cork quality.

I'm sure we've all had it where we've been tempted to try a new type of shuttle, but haven't been sure about the quality. Who better to review shuttles than BCers?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Reviewed shuttles:
    Adidas G PRO by Kwun
    Ashaway-450-shuttlecocks by HaruHaruQ
    Ashaway 500 International by Charlie-SWUK
    Li Ning A60 by Charlie SWUK
    Li Ning A300 by Charlie SWUK
    Yehlex Championship by Charlie-SWUK

Please contact me or post if you have a review you'd like to add. They're organized by brand.

#1 Charlie-SWUK, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Unfortunately, assessing shuttle quality is like hitting an unpredictable moving target. There is a lot of variability in the shipments. Plus, many brands source from the same factory. Rackets are much more consistent.

3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

the prices vary also from one place to the other, and how to judge the quality without a relation to the price?

4. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

Student
    @Cheung
    I guess the purpose of this is to assertain shuttle quality with a reasonable metric. The purpose of source gives you the location of the purchase/review, and a reasonable idea of if the shuttle might've been stored for a long time.

If you can clearly see the feathers and cork, and have testimony to the playability, you should have a reasonable idea of what you're buying.

@renbo that's where 'Value based on the above' comes in, as this would factor in location. If a shuttle is only a 3/5 for $15, then it's certainly not going to be worth it at £20.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I guess it's a guideline to what factors one should include in a shuttlecock review.

Thread stickied