Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Singapore Badminton Scene

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    I'm sure many of our past Presidents of SBA are passionate about badminton to have agreed to spend time and resources to lead their association.

Some of them may actually play the game as a form of exercise and bonding with their friends although they may not be great players during their prime.

Unlike the current BWF President, who was an Olympic gold medalist, it is not necessary for the leaders of the various sport associations to be really good at their game to be able to lead well.

Some leaders have proven themselves as captains of commerce and industry. They may be very good at marketing, etc., and have an extensive network of like-minded people who may be able to help in times of need. So they are able to recruit professionals and those knowledgeable in the game to assist them. Their main asset is that they are able to influence others to work for them to have a positive outcome.

2. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

indeed, one don't have to be a top player to lead the badminton association or even be a coach.
    but he has to really work for the betterment of the game, and not using it for his political or monetary goal.

3. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    I agree that one may not be a top player, but a decent knowledge of the game is required I supposed....so how many of our so called Brigadier General have an idea what's the game all about? and there is limit on the influence that a person can have on others to work for them....there will be a time, the subordinate will start to think, hey, does this guy knows what he is talking about?
    and the thing is the top pple that are appointed are able to do the work (I have no doubt) but will they highlight issues and make changes that will be for the betterment of the sports?
    looking at the history, and past trend, I have reservations on this G appointed - I wish we could give someone else a try...and these G pple stay out of all these sports thingy....

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    It is true that Singapore gets quite a number of prestigious President Scholars who remain in government or public service and not a few have been posted to the military and rose to become BGs. These are the brains of Singapore who are not only academically inclined but also prove to be also good in their performance in the public sector. These are some of the talents that help Singapore to achieve greater success.

Many of such brilliant scholars, although not necessarily President Scholars, have also joined the private sector to contribute to our economy and various other sectors. We need them especially when our talent base is small in a relatively small country like Singapore.

If the BGs and other talented scholars are interested to contribute to our sports scene, they should be welcomed. Whether they succeed or not during their tenure will be judged by the sports fraternity at large.

Many will know that there are many President Scholars and BGs in the Singapore government together with those who hold various other scholarships. And so far, I think Singapore has done relatively well regardless of the occasional hiccups that occurred. Just think of the number of international accolades that have been bestowed on tiny Singapore even in our very competitive world!

5. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    Actually I don't mind giving away or skipping some of our international accolades.....
    What's the point of having all the international accolades recognition when we cannot even instill critical values in our education system...
    Just read and open your eyes bigger to decipher the everyday news about our young generation...
    Come to think of it, these are the youngster that is going to run our country one day....and what values are we instilled in them... this is not mine, why should I vacant my seat, that is not my rubbish..why should I pick it up..if you are a driver, you will know what I mean, the moment you signal to turn, what does the car behind you do? Quickly drive faster and disallow you to cut in...
    Are these values we are teaching our your people?
    Thank you very much, I'll skip those accolades. We have lost our values.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    It takes a long time for a country to instill good behaviour and good habits.

In a very diversified country like Singapore with different cultures and religions co-existing together, it will take a much longer time to achieve the ideal goal.

Actually much of the "values education" comes from the family itself. Parents have to set a good example and we should not just blame the teachers for not teaching good values to our children. Parents are expected to have more time with their children and can therefore instill the correct values if they really care.

Even well-established and well-developed countries with long traditions cannot claim to have succeeded in instilling the best values for their children. Crimes are a reflection of such shortcomings.

If children grew up to become adults and started killing each other, what sort of values had they imbibed?
    But ours is not a perfect world and whatever we hope to achieve will continue to be "work in progress".

#766 Loh, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  7. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    Hence the focus should be on working on these values and not accolades of being no.1 and having this and that Abd what blah blah blah....

8. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Back to badminton, we can only wait and see.

9. Master

Master Regular Member

Great!

Some new events revealed at SBA website :)

• Continuing Coach Education (CCE) Programme - Coaches' Roles and Responsibilities in Tournament (2 November 2017)
    • Temasek Club Badminton Championships 2017 (20-26 November 2017)
    • Skills Test for SG-Coach BWF Technical Level 1 Course (12, 13 & 15 December 2017)

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Agree with this. A lot of people at the top will have knowledge of the game and it is usually as a social player or observor of tournaments. But they won't understand the mentality of a competitive sports persons' needs. Thus , they make decisions which players think 'man, that's stupid and frustrating'.

However, I do think there is also the other side of the coin where sports people are in their smaller ring and don't sometimes realise the bigger issues or cannot see how some limitations occur.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Somebody been reading this thread? :D

12. Master

Master Regular Member

I've posted several times here ;) after MF resignation then followed by Jeremy Gan. The speculation become larger and touch this thread though. :cool:

13. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    Yes, someone with both the on and off court experience is necessary for the role.
    On court is no joke, even better if the person have international tournaments under his/her belt. They inner knowledge of the game and it's tactical experience on court just cannot be bought by experience. You got to be in the kitchen in order to cook!
    Off court, some year managing a big team is important as well.
    I Guess is also reputation, if a person like MF, then there is no denying that he cannot do the job, just probably the local environment doesn't suit him...

14. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    All these events have been on going for sometime right? I've seen these the last couple of years...
    What I don't see is the support to the primary schools students to take up the game...not that we don't have, but I think we can do better to provide schools with the necessary coaches or coaching experience so that they can impart their skills to young students....
    That will definitely help to unearth talents and we have plenty of schools to around and I am sure the facilities are there.
    We can even give ex national players a career as in providing jobs to them where they can be affiliated to a school as a Badminton coach and develop from there....

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    Accolades given to Singapore by international bodies are to recognize and congratulate this tiny country for its achievements and we should be proud of it and ensure we continue to give of our best. By focusing on the job and its processes, Singapore was able to achieve success that is being recognized by the world community. The accolades are not self-proclaimed and there is no way that we should reject them for then we will be disrespecting those in authority to award.

If we are able to bring up kids with good habits and behavior which are eventually recognized by the international community, this will again be another feather in Singapore's cap, just as our teenagers have been recognized for their academic prowess.

I look forward to the day when Singapore's talents are able to win a Nobel Prize.

The road to achieving great success is hard and narrow, but this is not new to Singapore as we have already achieved accolades before.

16. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    yup at the expense of the it's senior citizen.
    Do you feel the absurdness on the ground, the impact to senior citizens as the G keep pushing forward to climb higher and higher.
    Have you been to the job fairs organized by the workforce group? If you have, you would have heard what the seniors people are talking about the G and the way they are handling the PMET job loss situation.
    I went to two job fairs and mingling about with those PMET's as I was also on a job hunt, ...and you can hear the people/citizens lining up and cursing the G for their direction and how it's handling of the FT situation. Thanks for all the accolades, to these people, it means nothing as it can't be converted to food on the table for their family.
    And do you realized the G have toned down their social media about these job fairs and attendance of the job fairs by the MPs.....they realized the people are not buying these anymore, all are just "for show". The number of likes and shared in social media is just a handful where it used to be in thousands....the PMET have realized that it is just a hoax for some MPs to show their face at these events and gain some popularity but for the people, the jobs are still far and few in between and the hunt starts all over again .....
    I have met an uncle, 2 times and you should go listen to him...he was applying for a bus driver position..to these people, do you think the Noble Prize is more important than putting food on the table for their family? Go figure...

alana07 likes this.
  17. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

well said spidey....this is the real situation outside here now. The G is very busy painting a façade over the bad situation.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    There will always be those who are deprived, not only in Singapore but also in other countries, especially the less developed ones. Indeed it is very important for the family to have food on the table and money to meet the everyday needs of the family, including the children's education. Here is where the government must be seen to be doing the right thing and in general Singaporeans are better off than man of their counterparts elsewhere. .

I understand that it has been difficult for PMETs to find another job if they are unfortunate to be retrenched or whatever. If the reports are accurate, it appears that there are less unemployment ever since the government changed its policy to insist on Singaporeans first. This is also due to the willingness of PMETs to upgrade themselves in order to fit into the structural changes taking place rapidly in Singapore. In part also is the governments' many assistance schemes to help PMETs to prepare for other job opportunities.

Changes are taking place in the education system to help students to excel in their chosen field of study and to better tap on their talents.
    That's is why it is great to see our students excel in their studies and being recognized by international bodies. For there is no easy way to finding the right job as jobs will keep changing to make Singaporeans relevant to the outside world from where we earn our income.

Many young Singaporeans will eventually own a HDB flat and if they continue to upgrade themselves they will be able to enjoy the better things in life.

19. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    eeerrrr....not to pour cold water on you Loh, but that sentence of owing a HDB flat will hit a lot of citizen's nerve. Have you not read the news about how the owners of HDB flats are being address by HDB? We are "tenants" and not owners. In the SPA, we are addresses as "tenants". So owning is only temporary, don't kid yourself. The time will come we have to vacant the so called "assets"and give it back...
    where is the minister that said this now......hhhmmm, I think he went quiet already.

Are we better off than our counterpart in another country, that is really debatable. Again, read the forums out there, citizens are upset with the raising cost of living. (then again, prices are raising everywhere). Citizens are complaining that in SG, you have to work until you die! If you stop working, you will not be able to survive in expensive SG. That is why there are so many uncles and aunties working as cleaners in the hawker centers....did you asked them why they are still working at their current age? Can you retire in SG.

Another trend of granting citizenship to foreigners or so called FT. It seems the trend is slowing down the last few years...is it really the G is slowing down the intake or there are less applications? Most people would want to "retire" someday and realizing you can't retire in sunny Singapore, that's really scary proposition for a lot people. A lot of them said, I have work my butt off and I can't even retire when I am in my late 50's or 60's....

A real life situation happen to my colleague - Retrenched in his mid 50s...professional in Sales, in a Pharma Co.
    Signed up with workforce SG, 6 mths down the road unable to find a job, started driving Grab full time and started his mid career change training with the workforce. Completed the training and is now a certified trainer. Is now close to a year....his retrenchment package fully used up....and he still haven't got a job.

Finally he got a job as a Sales and trainer....and the pay was 1/3 of what he used to get. He can barely survive with a family of 3. What have the Gov done for him. I don't dare to ask him as he will scream $%%^#$%^...

Now, back to my case, I was contemplating a switch of career into the hospitality industry - an industry that the G have encourage more Sporeans to join. I went for the induction course and was selected to join. I asked them what was the package for a person that have limited experience, - I almost fell off my chair. $1,500-$1,900! After spending 6 mths attending a course and you will be placed with a hospital and the monthly pay is that. How many of us can survive with that pay if you are in your 40s and 50s and got retrenched?
    the G have killed off these specialized jobs by offering FTs the work because Sporeans don't want the job. The thing is there are so many Sporeans out there that want to work, but the pay is just too low for us to survive. And the news out there is always saying that certain jobs Sporeans don't want to work. but you have to be realistic, a mid career person would have a family, a mortgage in this case a HDB, and to put food on the table - do you think $1,500 a month is sufficient. And all the MPs are sitting in their air con room, driving air con cars and nary a tinkle of what the man on the street is facing. There are a lot of pent up frustration is a life of a Sporean and you see everything is so nice, the infra is nice, SG is so clean, crimes are low...looks good on the outside....just like our SBA

Anyway, enough of blabbing....back to Badminton - still I feel the top should not be appointed or have anything to do with the G people.
    My 2 cents..

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    All I can say is that there will always be disparities. It is better not to compare with others for we do not know what their journey has been. It is better to live within one's means, adjust if necessary so as to live a more contented life.