Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

smaller grip?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by KraziexViet, Aug 1, 2009.

1. KraziexViet

KraziexViet Regular Member

so i wanted to make my grip smaller so i removed the factory grip and im just wondering if anyone ever thought about the grip breaking? because i have to say... the factory grip is wrapped PRETTY TIGHT. any thoughts guys?

2. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Only thing I would worry about is the handle breaking not the grip. If you take the factory grip off and dont put anything between the grip and the wooden handle it's a recipe for disaster. If the grip is too absorbent then the moisture will get into the grip and rot away the wood. You can avoid this by using tape I can't remember what kind is the best but most kinds should work. I think electrical would be fine but you might want to change it ever so often. Hope this helps and as for the grip breaking I don't think its a good chance but idk.

3. wannaliquorbox

wannaliquorbox Regular Member

just use a palm plane to shave the handle. i recently did mine. remember to use a table clamp to ensure the racket is secure and you are planing true to the bevels. its very easy. it helps to have an old racket with a handle that is the right size as a reference so you can compare measurements. make sure you are comfortable using a palm plane before starting.

or get a new racket with the right grip size. i had to do mine because because the rackets were on sale, but they didnt have the right size grips.

4. KraziexViet

right now all i have is the bare wood wrapped in supergrap, ac102ex i think o_O is that the recipe for disaster you were talking about? you think any kind of tape will work?

5. decoy

decoy Regular Member

could be. i think electric tape should be fine but i have no experience with it im half quoting a guy on it. so ask around and you might find the answers but from what i hear your cooking up trouble. (like the cooking puns :p?)

6. wannaliquorbox

overgrip on wood is just too hard on the hand, for me anyways. i prefer to have a proper (original/replacement) grip, and overgrip (grip tape). btw, if anyone in vancouver area needs to have their handle size reduced, drop me a line.

7. KraziexViet

and how exactly are you going to do that?

8. wannaliquorbox

as described in post #3.