Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Something You Should Know About Feather Shuttle

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Han Yue, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Han Yue

Han Yue Member

Usually, the feather shuttle is divided into goose feather and duck feather. And there is something about duck feather shuttle you would like to know.

As per feather material, duck feather shuttle includes Cigu duck, Tai duck, Water duck, Cherry duck and Tun duck.

As per feather cut, there are all-round, big-board, middle-board, small-board, humpbacked and single-side shuttles.

The feather is also divided into left wing and right wing. How to distinguish them? Here is a method for your reference. Place a shuttle in the table with the cork upside, and check which side is wider with the center line of feather stem. And which side is wider is which side.

At last, the feather can be divided into 5 or more grades as per feather appearance.

Stay turned for more details…

Attached Files:

Carbonex_7, s_mair, kwun and 4 others like this.
  2. selasarorg

selasarorg Regular Member

thank u for the information

3. Han Yue

Han Yue Member

It's my pleasure if these info can help you.;)

4. visor

visor Regular Member

So, is it true that only the feathers from the left wing is used? Or is that only for high quality feathers?

5. Han Yue

Han Yue Member

Nope, both of left and right wings can be used for shuttles, usually we think that left wing shuttles are better than right wing.

visor likes this.
  6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    does province of Jiangsu produce the most shuttlecocks in China?

thanks.

7. Han Yue

Han Yue Member

Usually, the most shuttlecocks in the world come from China, and the most shuttlecocks spread in Guangzhou, Anhui, Zhejiang and Jiangsu Province.

pcll99 likes this.
  8. visor

visor Regular Member

Recently I've been suspecting that feather shuttles are coated with some sort of antifungal agent. Because I've put some moist paper towel in a tube before to humidify the shuttles, but a week later I find the paper towel to grow some fungus, but the feathers are fine.

Also upon reading most instructions on how to steam the shuttle tube, there is a warning to not use kitchen pots or kettles that will be later used for food preparation, because the condensation may drip down into the utensil.

Am I correct in suspecting this? If so, then I'm going to have to avoid touching my face too much when playing...

Vinman likes this.
  9. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

I wouldn't use a kettle or pot to "steam" the shuttles... I recall it being bad for the feather because of the heat. I'd suggest a humidifier.