Speed vs Acceleration

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by wilfredlgf, Jul 9, 2004.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Americanos - Blue Jeans and Chinos~

I remember being told that you have a minimum speed limit on these freeways, not maximum! Is that true? Those Lamborghinis and Skylines must really be in heaven, here.

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    No, that's not true.
    We have both minimum and maximum speed limits.

For example:
    If the Speed limit is 65 mph, You can drive up to 70 without a ticket, but if you drive below 55, I am pretty sure you will get a ticket for driving too slow.

And no, we don't have skylines in the US because skylines is a right-seat driving car. Lamborghinis, we have some, I just saw one last week in here.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Only place i know of having no speed limit is some section of german autobahn. I heard politican and envirnomentalist are trying to put back some sanity to those freeways though. 130 kmph is suggested limit around there.

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    LOL interesting...
    I would definitely choose... neither... why not have the best of both worlds?? :D *cough... 911 Turbo... cough cough... Gallardo* ;)

Seriously though... for practical reasons acceleration is more important than overall topspeed.

There are a few places you can get away with going 200+mph and not get caught ;)

But again, being so dangerous, I love the thrill of accelerating fast, as that is when you experience the most G-forces :D

Anyone here ride motorbike?? ;)

#24 Kelvin, Jul 12, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  5. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Well technically we do have skylines over here... they're just labelled as Infinit G35 coupes ;)

I know I know... sneaky Nissan hehehe.

And the US has TONS and TONS of Lamborghini's floating around, along with Ferrari's, Maserati's, Bentley's, Rolls Royce's *drool* Ok i'm going to stop now, because this makes what I drive sound like crap :D

Didn't we have some German friends here?
    I dont remember if there was a minimum on the Autobahn or not.
    Obviously on some sections there is no maximum *shudders*

6. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Actually in the Northern Territory of Oz there's the Sturt Highway which runs north south and has no speed limit. Of course that's the trick for new players since unless you have long range fuel tanks, if you go above about 150 kph you're going to run out of fuel before you get to you next petrol station ;P Oh also watch for kangaroos because if you hit a roo at that speed you're most likely dead ;P

PS I also ride a motorbike ;)

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I rode a motorbike for 4 years. Nothing exotic, just a honda.

8. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    Ther is one BUT on these highways. Your car assurance is not valid when accident happens in speed over 130kmph even if there is no speed limit.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

fair enough. Almost all accidents occuring at or above 130 km/hr involve fatality so I guess the insurance holders don't mind anyway :D

10. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Time for fact challenge

I heard that the Autobahn was a highway built for one of the car manufacturers, BMW or Mercedes I don't remember, and is used for testing and research purposes. If that's true, what made it public?

German friends, irgendeine Idee?

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Moved car talk from Desktop Snapshot thread

LOL,, look aggressive but is it aggressive? LOL

Here is a list of entrance of HOT ROD's open class fastest street car contest, notice there's no lamborghini, ferrari, porsche, mercedes B, BMW.
    http://www.hotrod.com/upcomingevents/113_0401_pump/index4.html

I read the result from the magazine,
    #1 was 67 chevelle, #2 was 34 Ford Coupe, #3 was 68 Nova, #4 was 70 nove ss, all 9.4 to 9.5 seconds ET officially raced average from 3 time slips. i didnt remember the rest. All use regular gas, most of them are family cars, ie u can seat four people easily and hold grocery at the back trunk.

what? how fast is this aggressive looking car of lamborghini murcielago??

http://www.dragtimes.com/Lamborghini--Murcielago-Drag-Racing.html

awwh, only 12 seconds, pity. Can that thing fit a yonex 9 racket bag?LOL

12. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

what is it you're comparing there cooler?
    I don't know they hot rod scene, but the cynic in me guesses that the Lamborghina was a standard production model, but the American cars were purpose built for drag racing by American manufacturers who know there is a demand for that type of car.

(how well do those hot rods take corners?)

13. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Why do people even bother??? :confused:

What is your point here exactly?

You like more affordable vehicles, which have affordable parts, which you would then install onto your vehicle, to make it run better for you. Also you can save yourself a few bucks by maintaining your own vehicle!
    That is great.

I on the other hand prefer, a finer automobile, that may not be quite as affordable to most, and the parts may be more expensive, but I would not have to install them myself, as my vehicle contains more sophisticated equipment that newbs like me really should not tamper with...
    That is why when my vehicle requires maintenance, I take it to professionals to have it cared for properly as the manufacturers had intended, because that is what I paid for when I purchased my vehicle! And that is Good for me!

If the Bugatti Veyron was on the market, and I spoke of the 1000 horsepower W16 12 some odd litre displacement, would you then go comparing it with a NASA space shuttle launching into space VS the speed of the vehicle on land???
    You might as well go bet on the tortoise and the hare while you're at it...
    Save us this drivel, and do something more productive like study for an MCAT ;)

Somehow, if I'm not correct... I think you are comparing apples to oranges, with an obviously modified "street car", vs an exotic car...
    massive displacement XXXXhp vehicles (modded and stock) vs a "measily" 570hp (stock) vehicle.

If you're ever fortunate enough to take a spin in a Lamborghini, particularly the Murciélago, you can tell me if it's aggressive or not... LOL just as you do not like people drawing comparisons between other badminton related subjects, because they are "subjective"...

Also I find it amusing that you think being able to transport a Yonex bag with the capacity to carry 9 racquets is such a life enhancing luxury, because last I saw, & when I played, people only played with 1 racquet in hand at any one time on court.

Seriously though...
    Was there a point to your trashing of the Lambo?
    I can easily see a modded 911, let alone a Lambo, giving those vehicles very serious heat... I doubt that the majority of the stock engined vehicles could run 13 seconds... Only when you modify them do they finally come to life... as would be the case for ANY Kia, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota, let alone Lambo & Porsche & Ferrari & BMW. I just find this disdain towards other people's creations a bit bothersome...
    Infact if I remember correctly... I was reading of a vehicle in 1997 that would fit the criteria for this test, that achieved an incredible 8 point some odd second quarter mile run... and it was infact one of these "aggressive" Porsche 911s.
    Shave a thousand pounds off those american vehicles then come back and talk quarter mile runs with those people who are doing those quicker times.
    I'm no expert, but I think these foreign "aggressive" cars are pretty fast too. ;)
    The only correlation between vehicles I see on the "invited list" are that they are for the majority North American built "muscle cars" (with exception of the Datsun), and that a good number of them predate the cretaceous period... :eek: just kidding. LOL
    Pretty close though!!
    Also none of them with probably the exception of the dodge viper(s), cost anymore than 30k US when they were new, and in style. (unless I missed some Shelby, or Saleen vehicles on the list...)

And that is my 2 pence worth in defense of those who like to bash such fine ART (not just a machine...) as the Murciélago.

-Kelvin

#33 Kelvin, Jul 25, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2004
  14. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Oh yeah... and for Cooler, since the other post was just a defense for the Lambo. LOL

You bad man, you very very bad man.
    No Lambo for you! :p
    You leave Lambo alone!!
    :D

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If you were to enter the fastest hot rods or any super cars from the U.S., including their best Indy 500 cars, in a Formula 1 race, they would all end up last, that is if they could survive the punishment of a Formula 1 race. Why hasn't there been an American Formula 1 entry for years is a real mystery, especially when some Indy 500 champions did branch out to Formula 1 racing, albeit with mixed results. :D

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

You forgot something i said before, it is contest for fastest 'STREET CAR' and able to run on 'GAS STATION GAS'. The entrant vehicles must meet all highway and traffic specs (signal lights, bumpers, etc), met all gov't safety and noise specs, and owners carries license and insurance. The owners of these street cars use them everyday to get to work, drive kids to school and get grocery.

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

LOL, another reason calling them street cars being that they are low maintenance, air filters, oil filters can be bought from grocery store to walmart, LOL. Unlike lambo and bugatti, those 'street car entrants' don't require rocket scientists to fix them. And don't worry, i won't use shuttle rocket to make comparison, that thing ain't streetable LOL. Furthermore, those entrants didn't overly modified their cars, just better breathing and upgrade to better material, ex. casting to forged. All are naturally aspirated except those come with turbo as factory (buick regal gran national) install.

Infact if I remember correctly... I was reading of a vehicle in 1997 that would fit the criteria for this test, that achieved an incredible 8 point some odd second quarter mile run... and it was infact one of these "aggressive" Porsche 911s.

LOL, dont think u remembered it correctly. Best 911 turbo was 11.1 sec, with a range of 11.1 to 15 sec. LOL. These things have twin turbos too. Remember that many 911 shown in below table are highly modified too, including Ruf turbo, the highest form of street 911 turbo, only managed 11's, LOL.

http://www.dragtimes.com/browse3.ph...rch2=&days=&resultsperpage=10&carmake=Porsche

With price like these, you should able to afford NASA scientists to fix the lambo murcielago. LOL

http://www.qv500.com/lamborghinimurcielagomr.htm

#37 cooler, Jul 25, 2004
  18. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Dragtimes website only covered the stock engine vehicle, is that correct?
    I do not believe they had any info from the daily driver that I mentioned.
    I'm no expert here, but I do not believe you are quite as aware of the European tuner car crowd as you are with American vehicles...
    The 911 in question pulled 8.97 or so... if you dig around the net some more you should be able to find it. Perhaps even in one of the Porsche enthusiast magazines.

I really do not see a point you are trying to make here, other than American cars can be fitted with huge mods, to produce some 900hp, and also go fast in a straight line... throw in curve into that straight line I can see where those monsterous 3500lb+ vehicles would end up, compared to European vehicles such as the Lambo & 911s, which incidentally are able to turn as well as move quickly in a straight line.
    Obviously each vehicle has been engineered for a different purpose.
    Basically all you seem to want to say is that American cars are the QUICKEST street cars on the planet. (Note I mention quickest, not fastest... fastest would imply greatest top speed correct?) Great!! your opinion.
    I do not have a stance... why? because it does not matter to me.

There's a little something in the car community called R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
    The reason why there is this R.E.S.P.E.C.T. is because car nuts alike appreciate work done by others, but from all I can tell you dont seem to care, and just choose to keep your normal argumentative stance on everything, because you're bored or something.
    I dont have time for this silliness really, and I've finished what I've had to say on this subject.
    Fruitless, and pointless.

As I mentioned before, you like your easy bolt on parts toy cars (good for you), and I like my all in one out of the box deals (good for me).
    To each his own... right? :D

-Kelvin

#38 Kelvin, Jul 25, 2004
  19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    sometimes i wonder why i didn't start a car forum instead. can get so much more traffic that way................. :)

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

no problem, i do have respect to exotic car owners. As u notice on all my car posts, i dealt on technicality, with lots of quotes of reliable sources to support my point of views. I never(or try not to) got emotional about it.

On your view that Dragtimes website only deals with stock cars, well here is a dodge viper that do a 7.83 sec, also a corvette (not shown) 7.85 sec ET. I also believe these vipers, corvettes, trans am, camaros can turn around curves pretty well too, and didn't swap in with aftermarket engines and transmission.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Dodge--Viper-Drag-Racing.html

I wish u can provide that link on the 8.97 sec porsche. :D

#40 cooler, Jul 25, 2004