Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

stand on same side of court in doubles attacking?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by llpjlau, Oct 23, 2007.

1. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i tried to do a search on this but couldn't come up with keywords. and i did do and search but to no avail.

anyway, my question is, in men/women doubles, why do professional players do / advise that the front partner stand on the same side of court as the attacking partner behind during a rally.

for example opponents clear to the backhand corner of a right handed player named John. He is, of course, no slouch on court and moves to play a smash. now, why is John's partner, Sam, advised to stand on the left hand side of the T line? doesn't that expose Sam's forehand net and forehand back and forehand mid-court? this is of course, assuming both John and Sam are men and right-handed.

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

To cover the straight replies effectively, and to pressurise the straight defender. Straight replies are fastest; crosscourt replies take longer.

This position assumes that you intend to attack mainly straight and to the centre, not cross-court.

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member